Filing DBA in Seattle

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by AlexN, May 3, 2008.

1. AlexN

Original Member

Hi all,

So I enrolled in the iPhone SDK program a few days ago, and they got back to me today asking for DBA (Doing business as...) statement. I've done some research and know what it is now.

1.) But I'm not sure where and how do I file a DBA? Has anyone here in Seattle files one before? Do I file it under King County? Or Washington state?

2.) Also, if I have a DBA statement, will banks allow me to open a business checking account before I register as a LLC, or Inc?

Thanks

2. Mark Currie

Indie Author

I remember getting a business license in Bellevue (same county as Seattle) and there was a DBA entry on it. Perhaps when you apply for a business license, you can specify your DBA on it? Getting a business license in Bellevue was cheap and painless.

3. Leon

Original Member

When in doubt, go right to the source: http://www.seattle.gov/customerservice/

I wasn't able to find an answer, but you can e-mail them and they should be able to either give you the information you need or point you in the right direction.

Hope that helps.

4. abutov

abutov New Member

A DBA form is filed with your local county clerk's office. If they have a website, a form will be available online. If not, find their address and fill one out on-site.

The answer to your second question is yes. Although for sole-proprietorships, (which is what most DBA filers are) even a DBA status isn't strictly necessary to open a business checking account.

- Cheers

5. Cartman

Indie Author

I did this about a year ago with my LLC in Seattle. You have to register with the city(if you are in the city) and with the State. The LLC I believe was $195 and there was another one that was $10. I'm sorry I can't be specific. If I have some time I'll look it up for you.

My bank (washington mutual) required a registration with the State(the $10 one I believe) and a few other forms.