Fighting Fantasy iPhone is out!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Scharlo, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Scharlo

Original Member

In app purchase is not a good idea. First, you are limited ONLY to the people that already bough the application and your exposure is very limited (single launch).

2. KlickTock

KlickTock New Member

In-app purchase is a good idea. It's just not a good idea to launch that way exclusively.

Personally, I wouldn't want to clog up my iphone apps selector with 40+ FF books, but would I would probably pick quite a few of them up using in-app purchase.

3. Scharlo

Original Member

Yes, it's good for a customer, but not for the seller.

4. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Same, or at least, buy books on iTunes to fit in a reader (if that's possible).

I'm not a big fan of in-app purchases personally, but there is a certain advantage to using it in some situations. For example, while trying to shift every book as a separate product may grant more exposure to new people on iTunes, people won't be able to quickly see and buy what they don't have. That's a problem because most of the initial purchasers will be long-time fans of the series, who would be more likely to purchase more books.

If you want to keep the main reader in the headlines, keep updating it with enhancements and new features.

5. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Or do both maybe?

in-app purchases + releasing each new version separately to gain maximum iTunes exposure.

However, I can see that the disadvantage of dealing with in-app purchases is that, unless I'm mistaken, you would have to run your own server to supply the new content with all the hassle and cost involved otherwise you have to have every book already embedded in the main app to be unlocked.