Feedback Request : Scavenger

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Pi Eye Games, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Pi Eye Games

Indie Author

Hello all,

I've just released my 2nd action/shooter game 'Scavenger'. It's my take on one of my favourite C64 games and it was a lot of fun to write. I hope you like it :)

The game requires DirectX8.1 and a modest 3D card. It can be downloaded here (10MB) :

ScavengerSetup.exe

Some screenshots :

Screenshot 1
    Screenshot 2
    Screenshot 3
    Screenshot 4

I'm looking for any feedback, constructive criticisms or advice really. I've reached that stage where I know the game too well so I'm not much good at testing it anymore :p

Also, if the game doesn't work for you (and you have a modest 3D compatible card) please give me a shout as I've recently re-written my DirectX 8.1 based engine and I'm a bit paranoid that I've made it less compatible rather than more !

Thanks & best wishes,
    George.

2. zwiTTeR

Original Member

The game runs excellent in my PC. Very nice graphics (in high resolution)... and very fun gameplay. Excellent game.

My card is ATI RADEON X600 256MB HyperMemory.

3. Pi Eye Games

Indie Author

Thanks David,

I'm glad you liked the game ... I'm hoping to had some more background graphics to the game soon, to add some more variation.

I've added your card to my 'works' list too - I didn't have that one :)

Cheers,
    George.

4. stanchat

Indie Author

This is really nice. It ran great on my system (Radeon X1600 Series 512MB video).

Some of the menu sound effects appear not to be looping properly. When I click continue the restart and gives the appearance of not being a smooth transition.

Really like the graphics style.

5. Pi Eye Games

Indie Author

Hi Stanley,

I think you win the award for highest spec'ed card to enter my compatibility list :D

Not sure about the menu FX though as none of them are supposed to loop. Can I ask which sound effect it was that sounded odd. The ones I can think of are the main button click, completion sound, tip 'computer' sound and a warning alarm.

Heh - thanks ... the style is inspired by Vulcan Venture really - level 2 ... I'm hoping to do a non-sci-fi based game at some point though :rolleyes:

Cheers,
    George.

6. desmasic

Original Member

Game worked fine on my display card (nVidia 6800GS 256 MB), but there was a bit of texture shimmering on the edges of some walls in few levels, not a problem and really nothing you notice when playing the game. Though I would like an option to increase the resolution of main interface... I think current resolution (800x600) looked terrible with ugly text in those cinematics and everywhere else.

Anyways, the gameplay...

- Great graphics, no complains here :)

- Though maneavuring the ship is easy, what was annoying is that for a game that damages you on 'contact' with walls, the ship definitely did bounce a lot like a football. What's worse is that one accidental bump will send you on a bumping frenzy immediately taking down your shield from 100% to 50% (are there Shield powerups in future levels?).

- Maybe you should change the projectile color for enemies or the player. I sometimes confused my own 'ricocheting' projectiles as my enemy's which resulted in some more 'accidental' bumping frenzies :p

- The "no projector here, use ship lights" levels are cool but the problem is that it feels very awkward controlling a ship 360 degrees while trying to see where you are going at the same time without facing the way up front. But I got used to it in the second level itself so I don't know if this is a big problem or not.

- Those heat seeking mines aren't annoying enough.. esp. since they explode on touching the walls themselves. Honestly, not one mine ever came close to me. They got destroyed even before they could reach me (not by my bullets, but just by crashing into walls). Plus there is too much warning for a mine before exploding, too easy to avoid.

- The enemy placement is too static and obvious (at least in the 14 levels I played before I got bored), and in last few levels I actually just ran through most areas shooting wild at obvious directions where turrets or mines were placed. Maybe mines can float around a bit?

Also, turrets firing on walls detecting the ship is just bad. I have seen that happen in many games, and I just consider it lazy on part of the developer. Maybe turrets can be limited to 90 degree arc or something.. at least they won't fire into walls so I can just easily move in front and shoot them.

In the end, I really enjoyed what I played in the trial. Though the main challenge for me was to avoid bumping the ship here and there (walls only, that is), it's still fun and 'new' experience.. for me at least. Good job.

#6 desmasic, Jan 11, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  7. jeb_

Indie Author

I found this game on gametrove two days ago... Well, maybe you don't want my honest opinion, but here it is anyway:

I think it's sad that all those nice and dandy graphics are ruined by sub-average gameplay. I haven't played the C64 original, so I'm not sure what it's supposed to be like, but to me it feels like a bad mix of different games.

For example, you have limited fuel (unless you play difficulty rating 1/5) and you take damage if you touch a wall. Also, you bounce a lot on those collisions, so once you've made a mistake you are doomed to make another. Anyhow, that sounds like an interesting Lander-style game, which is fine.

However, it's combined with some weird action style and poor level design. For instance, it's possible to get stuck in levels if a door closes behind you, and the only way I found to get out of the problem was to hit a wall until I died. The action is also frustrating and a real annoyance. After a while I discovered that taking damage from bullets and mines is less fatal than hitting walls, so I simply decided to ignore all enemies (which worked fine).

To be a little more constructive: A suggestion I have, which might be controversial, is to remove the action element and extend the "Lander" element. In other words, make more maze-like puzzle logic with more items to collect and more doors to open.

Another suggestion is that you enhance the action element by reducing the penalty for touching a wall. I would like to try the game with less bounce and no collision damage. If you want level navigation be an important part of the game you could make level time more important. For example, instead of counting points, count how many seconds the player has used to finished all the levels.

My two cents...

EDIT: desmasic posted while I was writing this. Sorry for nagging about the same stuff.

8. oNyx

Original Member

Ran at around 100fps for the most part, went down to 80 here and there and peaked at 135 at some spots. (On hi-res that is.) [I have some fps osd in case you're wondering.]

And that with a 500mhz (that's 0.5ghz haha) CPU!

Some of the sounds and the music stopped somewhere tho... after like 5-6-7 minutes. The log doesn't indicate any kind of error btw.

9. DadTimesTwo

Original Member

My only issue with the game was the damage when hitting walls. I could understand docking the player some of his shields when he slams into a wall full tilt, but I found myself "pixeling" (inching) my way through the maps in little thrusts to avoid hitting anything, and that wasn't fun. I think removing the wall damage except for maybe the hardest difficulty level would improve the gameplay dramatically. It'd be fun to bounce off a wall, hit a turret around a corner and let gravity pull you back down.

10. RohoMech

Original Member

wow, PiEyeGeorge, I'm really impressed with how the game looked, who did your artwork (if you don't mind me asking).

11. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

worked fine for me. (Geforce 6800 GT). my feedback:

your ship seems a bit big, takes up too much of the screen

what's with all those screens of stuff to click through before I start a level? does this game really *need* any backstory?

I can't tell if my ships damaged. yes you have data at the bottom of the screen, but it should be clear by looking at my ship. I don't want to take attention off my ship.

The first level is insanely short. I spent more time clicking screens to start a game than I did playing it.

Nothing to shoot on the first level? that's a bit off-putting for me personally.

Is there an option to redefine keys? I'm not sure everyone wants to use both mouse buttons. I know my right mouse button is flaky. you should allow that as an option.

Looks lovely though!

12. desmasic

Original Member

I think reducing it further won't be a good idea.. esp since there is a lot of 'yellow' in textures everywhere (i.e., overused color).

Yeah, I agree. I don't think the story should be removed, but make it so that the player doesn't have to click through 20 messages before playing a 5 second level tutorial. Also, those 'dialogues' from your crew member (right?) and main pilot are really unnecessary ("Oh yeah, this will cost Boss man more..", stuff like that isn't interesting, just annoying).

Agreed.

Yeah, if someone has a problem with 'right or left' click not working properly, you should allow players to use keyboard to control the ship as well (arrow keys or WASD setup to control ship, Ctrl + Alt to replace mouse buttons).

13. DadTimesTwo

Original Member

The only screen I found redundant was the level progress screen (the screen with all of the dots showing which level you've completed). There's nothing to do except click past it. It does give you a sense of how much of the game has been completed, which might be important for a demo.

14. matibee

Original Member

Very nicely done!

I won't comment on the gameplay too much but I did quickly loose interest although I'm pretty sure that was down to the mouse control. I have a general dislike for mouse control in games like this anyway so don't take that comment as a negative one against the game-- I'm sure there's a generation of game players that have left me behind on that one ;)

I spotted a typo on the 'how to play'/instructions screen; it says 'instructins'.

4 year old Radeon 9500Pro/9700, 128Mb.

- Matt

15. Frozen In Ice

Original Member Indie Author

George,
    I downloaded from the link supplied. When I attempted to execute the file I received the following.
    SCAVENGERSETUP.EXE is a security risk named W32/Backdoor.Z0J

Just thought you might like to know... Antivirus gave the warning (Realtime Protector of F-Prot)

16. digriz

Original Member

Hi George,

Another nice game :)

I'm not sure what the security risk is about. But i run sophos on one machine and avg on my laptop. Neither have reported any viruses or security risks by downloading and running the installer.

I've run this on an old laptop with a p4 2.8 Mhz processor and an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 graphics card built in. It ran at a smooth frame rate. The OS is XP Pro with service pack 2.

I like the game but my only complaint is that it's only mouse control. It'd be nice to have redefinable keys too. Simply because playing the game on a laptop with a touch pad and both mouse buttons was a little awkward.

I'll have to play the game on my desktop pc to experience the game a bit more, but i'm probably going to end up buying this.

17. Pi Eye Games

Indie Author

Hey all - I'm preparing a new build based on all your excellent feedback and I'll write a big reply then :D I just wanted to deal with Frozen's issue first ...

Thanks for the heads up. I use ZoneAlarm Security Suite and scan everything as a matter of course. I've downloaded F-Prot and scanned the setup.exe and all associated source files, etc. and nothing has come up.

I'm thinking this is an installer issue, that F-Prot may be noticing something normal that INNO is doing. I am seeing that INNO creates a different named file each time it does something like run an app along the format of is-XXXXX.tmp. Maybe this is what is scaring F-Prot. Has anyone else noticed this with their INNO installers, maybe I'm using a silly option somewhere?

Please could you let me know which F-Prot product/settings you are running? I'd like to be able to see the same warning, but F-Prot doesn't seem to do anything when I run setups/apps - I have to right-click and select scan. When does the warning pop up btw? Is it when you first run the setup or when the installer goes to run the game?

Please could you try another file, Circulate Download, so see if you see the same warning. It's pretty much the same installer script so I guess it will.

Thanks again Frozen :)
    George.

18. Frozen In Ice

Original Member Indie Author

F-Prot Settings : Default.
    The warning comes up when I did the following...
    (Win98SE) Start, Run, Browse, select the exe file and OK. When the exe attempts to start, the warning pops up from the Realtime Protector. I'm going to try the other file you have mentioned. I have a feeling it may have been the filename that activated the warning. Also, afterword, I'll recheck my settings in F-Prot and let you know what they are.
    Be back soon!
    ;)

Okay, now this is getting rather strange. When the download was complete, RealTime Protector kicked in again.

Warning : Infected or suspicious files detected!
    An attempt was made to access or open the following files on your system.
    CIRCULATESETUP.EXE is a security risk named W32/Backdoor.Z0J

The RealTime Protector has denied access to these files because they may be harmful.
    Please scan your system using the OnDemand Scanner.

I'm going to run a complete scan now and get back to you George.

UPDATE
    I did a complete scan, including the files I downloaded from your links. Everything came up clean. The only possible reason for this warning to be coming up is a possible bug in the RealTime Protector. I'm using F-Prot v3.16f if that is of any help. I realize the file is not infected but potential customers downloading it with a similar setup may see the same warning. Maybe submit your file to F-Prot and advise them of the situation, the notification you received and maybe they can correct the problem??
    Hope this helped George!

#18 Frozen In Ice, Jan 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  19. desmasic

Original Member

I think the problem is in your antivirus. I played this game on Avast Antivirus first and then, after reading your post, on the system with AVG installed (both top antivirus softwares), and no virus/spyware was detected by anything. Oh and I am using ZOne Alarm pro as well.

20. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

It has an Alien Shooter feel...but plays like XAvenger (as it originally played...I hear that it has been modified)...on that side I have to say it leaves me a little disappointed, feeling like it could be more than it is.

I think I would enjoy it more if it were more action based and the play control were changed, removing gravity and making it a simple WASD game. I do realize that doing so would completely change the whole point of the game and therefore the core game experience itself...but...I think it would be a way more fun game and that it would appeal to a MUCH larger audience. Using the two mouse buttons and the gravity makes it a game for hardcore gamers (though I would suggest that even on Steam it would have limited uptake due to it not being very easy).

It looks absolutely beautiful, but I was frustrated quickly with the precision needed in the controls and left after only 8 levels. That said...I really think this game's style and graphics, if used in a fun action-styled thowback aracde shooter would be a tremendous amount of fun...and all that might take is some low-level modifications to the game as it currently exists. Right now, for me, it is missing the fun while hitting on the cool (and missing on the challenging as I just find it frustrating).

Just my .02 ;)