Feedback Request: Puzzle Hero

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Genimo, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Genimo

Indie Author

#1 Genimo, Jun 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. hicham

hicham New Member

Wonderful game

3. Genimo

Indie Author

4. Nexic

Indie Author

When I first saw this I thought it was just a match-3 with a tacky animation slapped in when you make a match. However I'm delighted to see that what you match actually decides what type of action your character does. It really is a decent Puzzle RPG.

Really great idea and well executed too. The casual market really needs more games like this. I'll actually be angry if this doesn't top the charts.

Would be nice to have the option of a male avatar though.

5. Maupin

Original Member

I've downloaded the demo and look forward to giving it a try. The gameplay video looks excellent.

Just wanted to let you know that the game's webpage looks a bit odd on my end. Here is a screen capture. You've not set the body's background color, so if someone (like me) has a non-white default background color, your image background color clashes. Also, the system requirements text seems to be displaying bigger than expected, pushing the lowest image away from its neighbors.

6. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Nice, very fun.

Went to the shop after gaining several levels (had gone before) and the screen dimmed, the dialog telling me what to do came up but the shop never did. Clicked several times, waited awhile, nothing. Pressed 'ESC' and the game quit.

Hope you put this on Reflexive when it comes out, would be happy to have it on my site.

7. Maupin

Original Member

Nice game. I especially like the attack animations at the top of the screen, and the monster designs.

I played until the end of chapter two. I noticed a few spelling/grammar mistakes in the story text. I recommend using different text for when the monsters get an extra move, since the "make another move" command is kind of confusing until you realize it's not directed at you.

Since this game seems to be directed toward girls, you might want to add many more hairstyles/colors. (Don't know if there are more available for purchase during the game since I only went into the salon once, but the opening selection seems limited.)

Anyway, I wish you success because it seems like a great game.

8. Midnight Synergy

Indie Author

Well done - clearly, lots of work has gone into this one! (how many different monster models did you make???) It reminded me of Bookworm Adventures, and was similarly addictive - that should be a great sign.

I'll echo what was said above - if you put it on Reflexive I'd be happy to showcase an affiliate version.

Cheers,
    Patrick

9. HDL

HDL New Member

This is a game that everything says I should love. I enjoyed both Bookworm Adventures and Puzzle Quest (Puzzle Quest so much I went and bought a DS just so I could play it) and it's a really good idea to combine the two of them. Puzzle Hero's somehow managed to just miss the mark for me (which means it'll likely be a huge success :) ).

Sorry for the vagueness in the following comments. Since I don't have the game open in front of me I'm just writing down my remembered impressions.

The idea's fantastic, the graphics are good. The customisation is a really nice idea. Whilst I did go "hey where's the male avatar" it makes sense for the story that she's female (it goes with those pictures after all) and well female only's a nice change from the games I used to play which were male only.

It made me smile that the first boss was a green worm, made me think of Bookworm Adventures and that that I was finally going to get a chance to stuff some of Lex's bad puns down his throat. So even though I didn't it did make me smile. Yet the enemies seemed rather bland, with nothing really to differentiate them. Even the bosses, I didn't understand why I was fighting them. I'd have liked them to speak, or to gloat or to do something more than get hit and die before I moved on to fight another endless stream of monsters. Admittedly that doesn't make most of the monsters any different from the random monsters you find in other rpgs.

It doesn't feel quite finished to me yet. Nearly there, but not quite. There's a spelling mistake in the introduction (off instead of of) that I noticed.

The story felt too passive. I didn't get any sort of sense of character for the hero. The moment the heroine discovers her brother is missing wasn't one of much drama, simply due to the way it was written. Since I can't see the text anymore I can't remember what exactly it was I felt was wrong with it. That's probably just my own personal taste though. Most games have pretty bad stories and as long as it's presented with a shiny comic no one seems to care. It just felt a bit awkwardly written when I read it and could have done with a bit of tightening up to make it more dramatic. It's not a huge deal though and the basic plot itself seems fine even if it didn't engage me.

The match-3 didn't quite work for me, which is weird because I'm one of those who actually does like match-3. Whilst I don't go "yay a match-3 with faeries instead of butterflies" I do like twists like the one you're presenting. But I didn't have as much fun as I felt I should be playing your game.

My first problem was with the pieces. I found I was having difficulty instantly identifying matches whilst playing the game. It meant I'd be sitting there for a while just looking for what would go together instead of playing which starts to frustrate me. I usually identify pieces by colour first, shape second, but with the bulls, swords and shields being similar colours I had difficulty doing that. So I took up the position I do for most hidden object games which is leaning a few inches from the screen so that I could work out which pieces I was meant to be matching. (Okay it wasn't quite that bad and I know there's not a time limit on moves but I like playing quickly.) Is there any chance you could either alter the background of each of the tiles to give it an identifying colour to make quick identifying the pieces easier, or just recolour the pieces you have to make them stand out more from each other? Make the shield more purple, and do something to the others just to make them stand out easier?

Mouse-over text on the shield, bull and glowy thing (what is that?) would be nice. I kept expecting when I levelled up to be rewarded somehow by being able to assign stats. I poked around a bit before discovering that levels didn't do that after all which made me a bit sad. Of course I know most rpgs don't let you do that anyway but it seemed that meant getting gold was a bit more rewarding than getting xp.

I made a 5 match and it identified it as a 4. I felt there should be an extra reward for matching 5 since it's more difficult than 4.

I don't usually notice the sounds but there was something lacking in the chinging when I was making matches and the pieces were falling. I was about to say it didn't feel rewarding, apart from when I whacked the bad guy with my sword, I liked those effects. The sound effects for the matching were adequate. The ones for the 3d above were good with the fighting and the effects there so maybe that balances. I'm not sure.

The salon page feels empty. When I first went there, naturally at the beginning, I didn't see anything special and so didn't go back. I might not have went back at all but wanted to doublecheck and I did see there were new hairstyles. Is there any point to those other than cosmetic? Not that I mind, being unable to unlock new hairstyles, clothes, tattoos, makeup etc (or whatever you have on offer) is fun to do. I liked how you could buy clothes and it would actually change your avatar's appearance. Customisability is good. More choice for hair colours would have been nice at the beginning, even if different styles are unlocked later. But as I was saying the salon page felt empty. I think it's because the majority of the screen was filled with stuff that didn't seem as if it needed to be there on the salon page. It served a purpose on the shop page. On the salon page though it was just there. I'd have rather had the separate hairstyles laid out to make them easier to see and pick from and switch between two styles to see which I preferred as opposed to having to keep pressing an arrow to cycle through styles whilst the rest of the page was filled with boxes it didn't seem like I needed and stats that had no effect on my doing the makeover thing.

All this said I'm sure this game's going to do well. It's a fantastic idea. I've tried to explain why it didn't work for me, when I saw the idea I went 'wow I bet I'll love this' so I was a bit surprised that I didn't. It's a good game but for me the fighting got very samey, very quickly and I didn't feel compelled to even finish the free trial. I wanted to like it more than I did but it just lacked that final zing for me. It's a game that I'm sure will appeal to a lot of others though and you've done a great job on it.

10. Genimo

Indie Author

Thank you all for the great feedback and bug reports! Much appreciated! Please, keep them coming...

11. Gassey

Original Member

You've put together a really great game here. It takes Puzzle Quest and improves on it. No small feat.

Giving a chain of enemies to run through is far more satisfying that Puzzle Quest's map and story system. It's easier to understand, and - through the use of the Bookworm adventures style battle window - I really felt like I was participating in a battle.

The info presented to the player on the game screen is organised very well. Very easy to read and get the information required at a glance. It was very easy to figure out what was going on, and you made good use of tutorials.

The graphics are nice and the world you've put together has a great personality. Your backgrounds are excellent. Again a great improvement on Puzzle Quest. The look of the character's face is a little too "anime" for my liking, but that could be just personal taste.

Some negatives:
    When doing the "Attack" moves you get great feedback, and the same with the enemies. When they match the swords they charge and shoot which is really cool. But if you or the enemy matches magic, experience or gold, there's not the same level of feedback. Sometimes I was left standing there not realising it was my turn because the enemy had not done anything.

The "shop" UI is not as intuitive as it could be. Dragging items left and right, mousing over my current weapons to check against what I might buy. If you have time, or maybe for a sequel, I'd spend a little more attention here. More feedback, and better information.

I like the icons on the board - they're very clear. But the board itself - given it's importance - could have a little more time put into it. It should look awesome...

Your story screens are boring, the font used is pretty ugly. I skipped over these quickly. Funnily enough, I hated Puzzle Quest's story also.

The game is inspiring. I hope it will do really well.

12. Gassey

Original Member

Hm, a couple more problems.
    I worked my way through to the "clone" boss - and the enemy was wearing my shield "upside down".
    Once I'd completed the boss, the game dumped me back at the previous shop, and I'm having to work my way through all of the enemies again.
    Was there something that I missed?

13. Cray

Cray New Member

My thoughts:
    • Giving the monster a free attack when you fail making a move isn't nice. Some of us suck at match 3's.
    • The backstory wasn't interesting. There was a typo during the first story scene which was probably already mentioned.
    • I had to go away from the computer for a few minutes. When I returned, I was at half health with a monster animation attacking me.
    • Monster AI can be exceptionally stupid. I set it up to have match four swords against me, and instead it would constantly ruin them by making a useless move underneath them. Also, they still match mana when they have no magic skills.
    • I didn't care about the monsters (or rather, hate some of them) other than thinking a few looked cool. I did with both of the games it was inspired by. Flavor text, taunting messages & unique attacks would've changed this.
    • I liked how you made the default name based on the logged in Windows account. I haven't seen that before.
    • Almost all the matches I could make were potions whenever I was at low health. Intentional? :)
    I didn't end up playing this until the end of the demo like I had with both Bookworm Adventures & Puzzle Quest. PH does seem like it would do much better on the portals than PQ did though, good luck!

14. Genimo

Indie Author

Thank you for the bug report! Yes, something broke in the latest build, we are working to fix it. I'll let you know.

Thank you for the review!
    • unless there is a major bug that we missed, no, when you make a wrong move monster simply gets a turn, it does not automatically attack.
    • we made monster AI intentionally "stupid" on early stages, they play better later or if you choose "Heroic" difficulty when you are creating a new hero.
    • it was just a random coincidence that potion icons started showing up when you where low on health ;)

15. Genimo

Indie Author

16. Genimo

Indie Author

FYI - Puzzle Hero was just launched on Reflexive - http://www.reflexive.com/PuzzleHero.html

17. Genimo

Indie Author

Cool! Puzzle Hero just moved into top 10 on Reflexive only in 5 days! I'm especially pleased because as far as I know Reflexive is using total number of sales in past 30 days for ranking.

18. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

The game is doing well on Reflexive.com. The Reflexive top 10 used to be based on a 30 day window but a few months back it was changed to a 14 day window. So Puzzle Hero has managed to sell more in 4 days than most games sold in 14 days. Games are ranked by number of units sold in the entire GameCenterSolution network.

FYI: If you ranked sales using a 7 day window (like many sides do) Puzzle Hero would be #2 behind Sally's Spa.

19. Genimo

Indie Author

James, great insight, thank you!

20. Mytgroo

Mytgroo New Member

A little repetitive

I found the game to be a little repetitive. There is not enough of a story to make it a roleplaying game. You need to develop more back story. The story screens are way too short. Also the graphics for the backstory are not that interesting. I enjoyed it for the start of the demo.

The 3 point matches for life potions are too little.