Feedback Request: Professor Fizzwizzle and the Molten Mystery BETA

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Ryan Clark, May 17, 2007.

1. Ryan Clark

Indie Author

Hi everyone!

We've just finished work on the beta version of our latest game, "Professor Fizzwizzle and the Molten Mystery". Here's a quick descriptive blurb:

More details here (though the buy links don't work there, yet!)

Screenshots: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Download links: Windows, Mac, Linux

We would love to hear what you think about the game. If you spot any problems, we'd appreciate it if you could tell us your general system specs (processor speed and amount of RAM) along with your description of the issue.

We're also looking for a few good beta testers to play through the full version. We require that you run through all of the levels (you can use the "Show Solution" feature on the bulk of the "Advanced" levels, and the harder "Regular" levels, or else it'll take forever!) and give us feedback and reports on any bugs you might find. In return, you'll get free copies of ALL of our games, and your name in the credits. If you're interested in beta testing, please email me at (my first name)@grubbygames.com

Thanks for reading! We're looking forward to hearing what you think of Professor Fizzwizzle and the Molten Mystery!

2. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Ran great on my sony vaio laptop. I didn't have time to get too far into it but what I did play was a lot of fun. I think your fans will love it. Nice work on the Shell menus / tutorials etc.

3. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

I was waiting for sequel :) It works well, I played few tutorial levels. I believe that there was a question mark that said that I can skip tutorial levels if I select different level on the map, but I was not allowed to do so (not completed).

I'll try to write more when I do some work for today ;)

best
    Roman

4. jessechounard

Original Member

Just played through all the regular difficulty demo levels. Good, good stuff. (As expected.)

My credit card is ready and waiting. :)

5. barrygamer

Original Member

No problemos here, runs nice (Mac mini intel, 10.4.8, 512 MB).
    I also tried to skip tutorials but couldn't work out how.
    It did rearrange my desktop icons after exit, but that might not be your fault (?).
    No time to do much, gotta work work work... :(
    congrats.

#5 barrygamer, May 17, 2007
    Last edited: May 17, 2007
  6. Ryan Clark

Indie Author

Thanks very much for the feedback so far! Much appreciated :)

It sounds like you went one level too far. The level connected to the "star" is the one you can skip to. Anything past that will not yet have been unlocked.

I guess this wasn't obvious? :)

7. Trick

Original Member

The Linux version doesn't work here, since the objects directory is missing libtiff.so.4 and also libpng12.so.0. The libpng dependencies seems a bit weird btw, since the PFMM_backup executable depends on libpng.so.3, while libSDL_image-1.2.so.0 depends on libpng12.so.0. Are you using libpng directly in addition to through SDL_image? In any case, you probably shouldn't use more than one version of libpng at once.

While I'm at it, libfmodex.so.4.06.16, libjpeg.so.62 and libpng.so.3 exist both in the objects subdirectory and the main directory. Also, the first two lines of the run.cmd script..
    env PFMM_BIN="PFMM_Demo"
    env PFMM_BAK="PFMM_backup"​
    ..doesn't do anything useful. env doesn't modify the current environment, it starts a new program in a modified environment (like you do further down in the script). When you don't tell it to run any programs, it just prints out the modified environment to stdout. So, the result of this is that your script prints the entire environment to stdout twice, but doesn't actually set any variables you can use in the script.

8. me_36

me_36 New Member

Weird rolling behaviour

Hi Ryan,

Thanks so much for bringing us yet again another
    great adventure of Prof. Fizzwizzle.

In fullscreen the Menu button and the score (the right
    hand side) is cut off the screen. In windowed mode I can
    see everything clearly.

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.8 GHZ
    512 MB RAM
    nVIDIA GE Force FX 5200 graphics card (1280x1024)Creative SB Sound card

In the advanced mode I noticed a little strange rolling
    behaviour. Not sure if this is there in different levels.

Best regards,

Martin

#8 me_36, May 18, 2007
    Last edited: May 19, 2007
  9. Ricardo C

Original Member

The Linux version worked perfectly on my system (Kubuntu 7.04).

10. Ryan Clark

Indie Author

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!

The Linux build does have some dependency issues; we'll work those out and let you all know when a new version is ready.

me_36: The issue you're seeing is a small z-ordering glitch. Thanks for letting us know!

11. Bad Sector

Original Member

Linux version failed, it says this:

Code:
    (blahblah) 

Building...
    /usr/bin/ld: warning: libtiff.so.4, needed by ./objects/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
    ./objects/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0: undefined reference to `TIFFReadRGBAImage'
    ./objects/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0: undefined reference to `TIFFClientOpen'
    ./objects/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0: undefined reference to `TIFFSetErrorHandler'
    ./objects/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0: undefined reference to `TIFFClose'
    ./objects/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0: undefined reference to `TIFFGetField'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    Build failed!  Executing backup executable...
    ./PFMM_backup: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Note that "libtiff.so.4" is a hacked version: there is no libtiff 4.0.0 (the latest version is 3.8.2) and it's a dangerous idea to link to it (when real libtiff 4 comes out there will be conflicts). You should try to link against version 3.8.2.

12. theyellowdart

theyellowdart New Member

Hi Bad Sector,
    Sorry for the late reply. It took a little while before I had permission to post. But now that the posting embargo has been lifted, behold...my first post.

PFMM doesn't actually require any TIFF functions, but unfortunately, we hadn't realized that the pre-compiled SDL_image binary depends on the libtiff library by default. A new demo release won't be available for a little while, but a few others have ran into this same problem and worked around it by creating a symbolic link to the existing libtiff.

I haven't tried this myself, but this is what others have tried:
    ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4

Hope it helps! Let me know how it goes!

m.

13. Bad Sector

Original Member

I tried it, but the program segfaults as soon as it enters fullscreen (and leaves me with the small-res video mode).

EDIT: ok, i solved the problem by compiling SDL_ttf (i didn't had this one), removing the libSDL, libSDL_image, libSDL_ttf and libstdc++ from the objects directory and creating symlinks from the libraries from /usr/lib to the object directory in order to use mine. Btw, according to the crash backtrace, SDL_tff was the one responsible for the crash, not libtiff.

EDIT2: i forgot to comment on the game... it's a cute mix of platformer/puzzle. I must mention that i really hated the absence of a jump button :) but i think that's the whole point of the game :p. Anyway, i managed to get to the second level with barrels (i don't remember the actual level number or name though, but it's a few levels after the first one).

#13 Bad Sector, May 22, 2007
    Last edited: May 22, 2007
  14. theyellowdart

theyellowdart New Member

So does it no longer crash and leave you in small-res video mode? If it does, you can try starting it in (forced) windowed mode by changing your command line to use the super-secret command-line argument:
    env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=objects ./PFMM_Demo 1

Hmmm...was there anything specific within the TTF library it was crashing on? I believe I've removed the TIFF-dependency from the libSDL_image library, but I'll have to take a closer look at the TTF problem you're seeing. Thanks for the heads up.

Ha! Yeah, as for the jumping...think "Bionic Commando" (one of the coolest no-jumping platformers of its time!) if that means anything to anyone...except, ya know, without a grappling hook...and puzzles instead of violence...but I suppose their spiky hairstyles are kinda similar! :)

15. Artinum

Original Member

I'm playing the Windows version now and it's quite an effort to pull myself away and go eat something. I couldn't help reading about the new items in the instructions (the bridges sound fantastic, and the heat gun...! I couldn't wait for them to appear in the game, so I tried them out in the level editor!) and while reading through I found a couple of hiccups.

For the freeze gun there's a paragraph which ends with: "A frozen bot can be used the same way as a frozen crate - use your imagination!goes through teleports." (One suspects an extra line was planned and not added.)

For the EMP, you have "electro-magnetic pulse" in quotes and brackets - but only the end quotes.

Here I am, doing proofreading for free... but it's Fizzwizzle! It's worth it!

As for gameplay/testing - I got stuck (on the map!) at the first of the tutorial levels. I didn't realise the tutorial star floating balloon-like above the level was in fact a separate level - I thought it was just a marker. So when I completed "that" level and then couldn't select the next, I thought it had got stuck. I then managed to click on the star and played the same level again (oops). After that I figured it all out! Am I just being dense or should this be a little clearer?

16. theyellowdart

theyellowdart New Member

Thanks for the proofreading, Artinum! The appropriate changes have been made.

As for the optional tutorials, don't worry, you're not the first to comment on that. We'll be making some changes to hopefully make it a little clearer.

Thanks for the feedback!

17. pluggy

pluggy New Member

Hi Ryan,

I played the first 15 or so levels and the game was a lot of fun. Very clever puzzles, and I love the graphics and sound when the professor gets sucked into those vacuum tubes :)

There were no technical problems on my PC (Core 2 Duo 2400/ WinXP), except maybe from the sluggish feeling mouse pointer. It's a bit as if the pointer was always lagging behind the movement I perform with my mouse. Not a big problem though, since I used the keyboard anyway.

Lots of fun and it definitely has this "just one more level" feeling to it!