Feedback request: map graphics 1 or 2?

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Karja, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Karja

Original Member

Once again I have a small feedback request for my sheepherding game... This time I'd love a comment whether map style 1 or 2 is the most appropriate. Okay, we're not talking the Mona Lisa in either one, but which would you prefer? Please note that the first isn't a finished version, but maybe you'll get an idea of the style anyway.

The first:
    http://www.cynicalstuff.com/files/map1.jpg

The second:
    http://www.cynicalstuff.com/files/map2.jpg
    Update: I made a few changes according to suggestions, and the second one turned into this:
    http://www.cynicalstuff.com/files/map3.jpg

And this is a screenshot of the main gameplay, if you're wondering what the context is:
    http://www.cynicalstuff.com/files/screenshot2.jpg

There are good and bad points to both map styles (in my opinion), and I can't decide whether to go with one or the other. I'm sure some of you'd feel that neither is good enough, but alas! - it seems my budget doesn't permit better art at the moment.

A simple vote for 1 or 2 would be excellent. If you have some suggestion like "the first would be decent if you changed this or that" it'd be even better!

#1 Karja, Oct 14, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  2. papillon

Indie Author

2. 1 looks messier. Of course, you say it's unfinished, but the style of the mountains still doesn't look as clean.

3. Rainer Deyke

Indie Author

Both look very similar in style. The first one looks somewhat more detailed, so I'd go with that one. Do add more details on the houses. Also, I'm not too fond of the mountains in the first one.

4. radishan

Original Member

2 looks sharper, it's easier on the eyes.

5. JoKa

Indie Author

I prefer 2, but the green hills are done better in pic 1

6. Geom

Original Member

I like 1 better; I think the bridge and riverbank both look better there.

7. Deux

Original Member

Both are quite similar, but having to choose I would go for the more detailed first pic.

8. Karja

Original Member

Haha... Seems to be quite a draw. (If I were in the mood I'm sure I could've made some stupid pun about that right now.)

The biggest reason that I wanted to get some second opinions on this is because the first one is drawn by this artist I hired; the second one I put together myself. I love the sprites he produced but I'm pretty unimpressed by a lot of things on the map screen. So I got a why-am-I-paying-an-artist-for-something-I-can-do-decently-myself-even-if-I'm-no-artist-feeling. Especially since I made my (granted, much less detailed) version much faster.

I might be jumping to conclusions - there might be other opinions later - but at the moment it seems that I can leave the spritework for the artist and make the maps myself, as long as I put more effort into stuff like the river/riverbank/houses and details in general. (At least it doesn't seem to be an awful lot worse.)

Thanks to you who answered; I'd still like more opinions though!

9. bard

Original Member

First one.

</thread>

:D

10. Drake

Indie Author

I like #2, because it is rendered more cleanly and evenly, though as you say #1 is unfinished. The cleaner look of #2 also suits your interface elements better.

Are the clouds moving overlays? I would restrict them to the top 1/4 of the screen (unless they actually represent a rolling fog).

11. Karja

Original Member

...And there's a draw again... Yep, the clouds are scrolling alpha-blended over the map. That's an excellent suggestion - I'll definitely keep them to the upper part of the screen. No fog, fog bad.

12. AtmaVegeta

Original Member

I'd say #2, like said before easier on the eyes because of its sharpness. I don't like the bridge in #2 however. Both are very well drawn though. :)

As for #1, I also like it, just the mountain could be improved. I really like the water in this picture. And, possiblely the left tree could be improved.

Its very close, I would choose #2 just for its sharpness and ease on the eyes. Good Luck!

13. Encore Music

Encore Music New Member

I prefer 2 also - much cleaner greenery and mountains. I do like the bridge and the tree by the house on the hill in 1 but that aside I'd buy 2

14. fog4711

Original Member

too little fog ;-)

I also like #2 better. Guess this is a case where less is more.

fog :cool:

p.s. I like the dog. It's kind of cute.

15. JoKa

Indie Author

That's what I would do in this case. Doesn't sound like you're running out of time or really hate the additional work, so why not?

16. Karja

Original Member

Thanks a lot! I thought the second one fit in a little bit better, but I didn't want to be self-conceited. I'll take note of your comments and suggestions, and try to improve the style of the second one. There're many details to improve, it seems.

Well... I'm getting a bit stressed, but it'll save me money and freshen up my pitiful drawing skills a bit - so it's not that bad. :) I had hopes for getting the game done in time for xmas though, so I'll just have to work my behind off.

Yeah, the dog is very nice! I love the sheep as well. Wish I could do sprites like that. Dammit.

17. Ratboy

Original Member

Apart from the perspective being all over the place in both of them, I like 2 better.

18. NoisyPerlin

Original Member

Another vote for #2. The general layout and coloration looks a lot better, I think.

19. Nexic

Indie Author

Defintely #2

20. Karja

Original Member

Yeah, they have a bit of a Escher-on-a-bad-hangover feeling... But is it bad enough that you'd be immediately put off by the game? I'm not aiming for the stars here - just trying not to crash and burn like with the art in my previous projects.