Feedback Request Game Video of Save Xhoon

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by oldschool, Apr 7, 2009.

1. oldschool

Original Member

I'd like to get some feedback on my latest game video of Save Xhoon.

Save Xhoon screenshot

Save Xhoon video

to get a better view of how the mouse works try this video

It was captured with WeGame, which screwed up the mouse movement. You mouseover the stars to get them to swirl around the pointer and then you hit the shadows with them

This game is inspired by Jari Komppa's game "..and the sky full of stars" 1.0
    Copyright 2006 Jari Komppa aka Sol_HSA
    http://iki.fi/sol/

I'd like to get your ideas on:

Background - I like it but maybe its to dark
    music - monotonous , could you point me in the direction of other games with music that could work in this game?
    sfx - monotonous, I'm sick of it myself.

What do you like or dislike about the basic game mechanic, from what you can see.

What else could I do with the shadows?

I was thinking of having the hill come alive at some point, what do you think?

Add anything that you think would help

ps. made in FlashDevelop - flex, as3. I intent to use this as an upsell for a downloadable version. I thought of using Adobe Air for downloadable.

#1 oldschool, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

Just a few things that come to mind to get your creative juice flowing:

There is probably tons of things you could do with the shadows. Flying ones, teleporting ones (ducking the stars by merging into the planet and then re-emerging somewhere further), flying shadows that eat the stars in the sky, ...

Maybe destroying them as soon as a star touches them is a bit too easy or repetitive. Have some that are destroyed differently or stun them with the star and then throw them away with the mouse. Or stun them and then throw a number of stars on them before they die. And, of course, make boss fights!!

There could be special stars or more powerful magic spells when you drag a certain number of stars at the same time.

3. Acord

Acord New Member

Neat idea, still needs a little more polish(particles transparencies and transitions), and it's not immediately apparent how the mouse gravity physics works.

The colors look a little too dark.

4. levani

levani New Member

I definitely enjoyed the look of the game. Nice. Here are my thoughts about the music:

I instantly got a Danny Elfman vibe for this. Some tracks from Nightmare before Christmas would be a perfect fit. Let me try and find some examples for you,

Search for Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack on iTunes and preview a song called 'Oogie Boogie Song' and try to imagine it without the vocals. It would create a pretty captivating atmosphere for what you got going visually.

Also check out 'Nabbed,' a little different feel there, but still a very cool vibe.

If you end up hiring a composer, you could always use these songs as 'guidelines.'

Best of luck with the project and I hope my suggestions help,

5. Cevo70

Cevo70 New Member

I like the look and the concept. It is tough to tell what the gameplay is like, but it looks fun from what I see.

I do agree that the music (which is key for a game like this) needs an upgrade as do the SFX. Some ideas for you to ponder:

1. You call them shadows, but the game says zombies. I like shadows - makes more sense with the wizard theme.

2. Enemy variation like Kevin said will really help. You could also have star variations. What if certain (maybe bluish) stars were needed (or better) to kill certain shadows? You'd need to save them for the right time.

3. Stars don't really 'pop' in my mind. I think a cosmic tone or bell would be more appropriate SFX. Another SFX like a swoosh or shimmer would be nice when you throw them. And some graphical effects would add polish.

4. The music is on the right path just not engaging enough. Dark classical, or a dark 4/4 beat at a slow tempo with a longer loop would be easier on the ears. I can whip up something for free for yah - dark beats are my forte.

Good luck and nice work.

6. oldschool

Original Member

Thanks!

You've all had great ideas and suggestions. Now I'm going to incorporate as many as I can, I'll keep you posted.