Feedback request: Feyna's Quest beta

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Rainer Deyke, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Rainer Deyke

Indie Author

2. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

Are you going under the same name with the re-release or is it going to have a changed title that shows that the game is quite different?

3. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

What is this? Just an improved version of the one you released before?

I played the original and quite liked it. Just lacked a little in the graphics and some of the maze-like level design was a tad frustrating. But overall a pretty fun game with some very nice artistic touches.

4. astrospoon

Original Member

Rainer--

I tried your beta, and I thought I could give you some feedback, though some of this may be a bit tough to hear. I want to make it clear up front however, that the reason I am giving you this feedback is that I think your game idea is pretty cool. I love platform rpgs (eternal daughter anyone?) and so erm... here it goes..

First off-- the controls seem needlessly complicated for the inventory menu. I didn't actually use it in game, but it seemed like the only way to exit it was to hit escape. Escape is REALLY far away from the rest of the keys used to play the game. My suggestion would be that space pops up the menu, that you use the regular attack key (alt) to select items etc... and that tapping space again will exit the menu. Try to minimize the buttons needed for the game, even if it means adding a few menus here and there. I am not to keen on having to hit number keys to switch spell modes either -- the action in the game is fast enough that you probably WANT to pause to switch weapons. Maybe this could be handled in the inventory menu? Or at least with closer keys.

Tapping alt while someone is talking should make their whole sentence come out at once. Right now you cannot advance text until the text is blitted out character by character to the screen. Hitting alt should just make the whole string appear and then be skippable. I can read about 5x faster than the type is appearing, and I got tired of waiting. (note that I know you can skip the whole thing with esc..... But I still want to read it... just faster)

The opening area (the only section i played -- more on that later) is MUCH to bland. It is all... and I mean ALL... purple brick. It is WAY to easy to get lost and not know what is going on, or what doors you have already been in. There needs to be slight variations in the hallways... stuff sitting around, etc to make navigation easier. This was really frustrating for me. To add to the problem, some doors (the ones with the white handles?) were locked. But then when the door to the tower is unlocked.... still white. So finding that door was a HUGE headache.

When you had to hunt the slime there were 2 problems. 1 -- I had no idea how many slime there were. So I had to keep checking back with the old guy to see if I had killed them all. I should only have to make that trip once. It didnt help that I couldnt tell where I was at any given time, since the hallways are all identical. 2 -- the slime in the hallway would often jump off the screen after i hit him once.... and dissappear. Meaning that i had to keep reloading the hallway to finally kill him. All the slimes should be in rooms to avoid this problem.

Once the humans showed up, I would get absolutly slaughtered. They attack REALLY fast and my weapon was horrible AND had to charge. If I am supposed to sneak by them.... It needs to be made more clear. As it is, I cant tell where I am running to when I run from them, and I have yet to be able to take one down. Again -- more detailed enviroments are really needed to make navigation doable.

The control also felt a bit floaty -- maybe a gamepad is the way to go, but its seemed sloppy feeling with the keyboard. (And how do you hit number keys with your gamepad anyhow?) My attack was lame. REALLY almost unplayably lame. I realize you are supposed to suck at the start of the game, but I almost quit out of sheer frustration from how crap my spell was. It hardly shoots forward at all, can't kill slime in one hit, and need to charge between shots.

There needs to be some "weight" to the charachters movement too... some sort of physics equation in the jump would help alot. I don't feel like I am pushing off the ground and coming back down to it from the force of gravity..... More like popping off the ground. The way you walk up stairs is really cheesy looking to. Its obvious you are actually walking up a smooth ramp. Make the character actually move in a stairstep pattern up the stairs.. the gliding up the stairs just exemplifies how "floaty" the character feels in general.

And to top off my grand adventure, after running up the tower and seeing some guys under some bright light, I ran into the next room and entered the door. I was now outside, and saw a knight enter while the building shook. I dropped back into the building, and left the room... ran past some knights and into a door that had rubble all around it.... AND........ the game crashed, right to windows. No message or hang. Just a big old boot.

I think the game looks really cool, I really do. I think it could be amazing. The levels are obviously there, and the story was cool enough to keep me playing through rather mediocre (if not slightly poor) platforming. The sprites you have are pretty good -- I wouldnt worry about those. But the background graphics seem plain and rather blah. To the point of effecting the gameplay because everything looks so similar. And I would just polish up the platform engine a bit more. The movements and jumps and things need to feel more solid and precise, and there needs to be more fun "touches" to the levels. Little details to keep you interested in them. Just heaps and heaps of polish really.

oh... and fix the crashing bugs of doom too. :) (but you already knew that)

5. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

from the "read me before posting"

6. Rainer Deyke

Indie Author

You can use the fire button (alt) to select items, and you can use the jump button (ctrl) to exit the inventory. I suppose I should mention that in the online help.

The game is playable with eight buttons: directional keys, fire button (alt), jump button (ctrl), inventory button (space), and menu button (escape). I could reduce this to seven button by merging the game menu and the inventory system, but I see no way of reducing it further. Do you really think this would be a major improvement.

Actually you can switch spells through the inventory menu. The number keys are just shortcut keys to skip the inventory menu. I had thought this would be obvious. I guess not.

You;re right. I'll implement this ASAP.

Again, you're right. I'll try to fix this.

Well, it wouldn't make sense for the door to suddenly look differently just because you have the key. I think. I'm not convinced that this is a real issue. There are only three locked doors in chapter 1. The tower can be reached through the two doors that aren't on the ground floor.

Ok. I'll try to fix both problems.

Well, the basic plot for chapter 1 is that the humans attack, and Feyna barely escapes by fleeing through a magic portal. The plot of the whole game is about Feyna getting strong enough to fight against those humans. So, yes, you're not supposed to actually win against the humans at this point in the game.

Do I really have to make this more explicit? I would think that most players will be able to figure it out after dying a couple of times. It's not like there's a huge penalty for dying at this point of the game.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Could you elaborate?

Ok. I've reduced the hit points of the slimes so that you can kill them in one hit now. I'm not sure what else to do about this without upsetting the game balance.

Again, I'm not sure what you mean or how to fix it. I'm fairly sure that my physics equations are correct. There are no animated transitions between being on the ground (standing or walking) and being in the air (jumping or falling), but animating those transitions would hurt responsiveness.

Well, as far as the game engine is concerned, the stairs really are smooth ramps.

That would require a lot of additional animation frames and a fair bit of additional programming. I'll think about it.

That's because I forgot to include an important file in the demo. I've already fixed the problem.

7. Rainer Deyke

Indie Author

I'm planning on reusing the name. Even though a lot of things have changed, it still has the same plot and most of the same levels and monsters as the original. It is still the first game in the Feyna trilogy. I'll even give free upgrades to everyone who bough the original. I don't want to be accused of repackaging the same game under a different name, and I don't want to confuse future collectors of the Feyna series with two Feyna games with the same plot but different names.

I have considered giving the game a derivative name (such as "Feyna's Quest 2005" or "Feyna's Quest DX"). However, I'd prefer it if this new game simply replaces the old Feyna's Quest completely.

8. whisperstorm

Original Member

How about Feyna's Quest Deluxe?

9. Ricardo C

Original Member

FQ - Special Edition (Worked for Capcom's Street Fighter series, about a billion times ;)

FQ - Director's Cut (Capcom did this with Resident Evil when they released an extended version of the game on the PS1)

FQ - The Ultimate Edition

10. tentons

Indie Author

Sadly, people will never read it. You've got to put it on the screen or they won't see it. I am learning these things the hard way.

Nothing is ever obvious. I also learned this the very hard way. I think you can prepare to pretty much redo your interface. It's a pain in the rump, but it really must be highly visual and as simple as possible. I'm still working on heavy changes to these aspects of Little Gods.

I kept asking myself the same questions, and every time the answer was a screaming trainload of YES. Maybe if Feyna "dies" there, she could fall into unconsciousness. The game could skip to a cutscene of a little later when she wakes up?

I think some sounds would solve the problem. There's no "jump" sound and no "landing" sound, and these make a huge difference.

But also time in the air is a bit long, although I wasn't put off by it, so that might be a matter of taste--in which case, ignore everyone and do what you think is best. Otherwise you'll end up trying to change your game at people's whims and it'll devolve into a mess.

I didn't find this annoying at all. Porbably just an issue of preference.

Cool game. I really want to make a platformer/RPG blend, so this is cool to see.

@Whisperstorm: Please, no!! The world doesn't need any more games with the word "Deluxe" at the end!!!! :)

11. Rainer Deyke

Indie Author

Well, the problem only came up because astrospoon read the online help and assumed that the controls described there were the only way to control the game. If he had just tried to play the game without reading the help, he would have found that the game can already be controlled the way he wanted it to be controlled for the most part.

Well, it looks to me like the interface is about as straightforward as I can make it. The online help is fairly short, highly readable, and always available in case you get lost with the control. What else can I do? Show the control on the screen? How is that different than the online help?

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I'll need a more specific suggestion or a second opinion before I start implementing changes.

That seems like a cheesy cop-out - why would Feyna be spared when everybody else is killed? How do you survive a near-fatal sword wound without bleeding to death?

Maybe I'll just put in a monologue at the beginning of the section where Feyna states her intention to avoid the humans to herself. Still cheesy, but it solves the immediate problem and it doesn't break the continuity of the game.

Ok, I'll try adding those sounds.

Well, at least it's a concrete suggestion. I'll try decreasing air time as an experiment and see how it works out.

12. papillon

Indie Author

"Forced loss" situations are a bad place to put the player in control. THis is true in tabletop RPG as well. Unless you make it VERY clear to the player that they are supposed to run, they will tend to fight to the death. I've seen frustrated GMs posting in rpg discussion forums talking about setups where the players were vastly outnumbered and the bad guys kept trying to offer them the option to surrender peacefully, but the players would rather have the characters kill *themselves* than 'lose'...

If you make the fight look at all winnable, people will try to beat it. Cutscenes are useful here (either to handle the entire loss, or at least to have the character state the goal.)

13. tentons

Indie Author

Fair enough, but that's atypical in my experience. Maybe it's different with RPG/platform players.

Wouldn't hurt, at least on the first play (show it and fade out when they begin to move). Games like Zelda on N64/CG show the controls all the time as part of the HUD. Just an observation.

It doesn't require the player to actively seek the information. It's put in front of them without any effort on their part.