Feedback Request: Chicken's Crossing Demo

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by z3lda, Jan 30, 2006.

1. z3lda

Original Member

I just found a crash bug :) but i'm posting it anyways (only for readers here anyways). The demo/game is almost done. Just need to stomp out the last crash bug(rare? :D ) and tweak the level settings. Anyways any type of feedback is welcome. I'm interested mostly in first impressions, such as did you figure out how to play the game, are the mouse controls too confusing, where the pop up tutorials helpful....etc

Might not be able to add in any major changes, but possibly small suggestions. I'll post the finished demo as soon as we are done. The demo has an installer and uninstaller using Inno Setup. If you want your demo time reset, just send me a private msg and I can tell you how to reset once my new demo is done.

So on that note.. reply away! and THANKS!

Screenshot 01

Screenshot 02

Download Demo:
    Chicken's Crossing Demo

2. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I tried it... reminds me a little of our game RatMaster in some respects. It's original and interesting. The graphics are pretty nice. My only major complaint would be the load times... Seems like Im constantly staring at the word "Loading.."

I didnt have any trouble figuring out what to do but it's definitely on the complex side. I could certainly see people getting confused, especially with how to make combos. I find the gameplay drags on a little at times as you're just waiting for the chicken to walk to the house and all the tiles are already set in place.. would be nice to have a speedup button the way ratmaster does to get around that.

Overall I'd say it's decent, but that the gameplay somehow lacks that addictive feeling. I didnt feel compelled to keep playing.. perhaps in part because the load times were a little long.

3. z3lda

Original Member

I think the initial load is really bad (8-10 seconds), but after that, each level should only be a few seconds?

Did the pop ups help a bit? Or do you think it's not clear enough to the casual player? There is also a "how to play" section showing a combo being made. But in general I would agree with you, this game is a bit tough. Did you know there is an "Easy" setting in options.

During the second level a pop up tutorial should explain the (dreaded) Right Mouse Button is used for speed up.

Yes I would almost agree, any suggestions?

Actually I can't take credit for the design, as there is an obscure game out there with matching tiles and an animal moving on these tiles. But I think i've added enough features that it's a new game. :p

4. jankoM

Indie Author

It's fun and relaxing game, it seems it has lot of variety. I honestly didn't get what should I match. I tried matching three same tiles in a line b they didn't disappear so I was just taking care for moving chicken around until henhouse appeared (which didn't fell as anything is missing to the game).

Is that fox moving randomly on the tiles or only where there is road (as a chiken) because I was trying to not give it the path to my chicken in one levele and on next it seems it can jump whenever anyway.

All in all nice game, very welcome on BKG website ;)

5. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

> but after that, each level should only be a few seconds?

Donno.. seemed long to me.. Should be instant for this sort of game I would think.

>Did the pop ups help a bit?

Most people don't read popups.. including me. I read one or two and then forgot about them. The tricky thing about the combos I think is that the "matching" part of the tile.. the thing you're supposed to match.. looks a little like scenery. So even though the popup says match tiles that are the same, it wasn't clear what was meant my "same" - Same path shape? Same color? Same what?

>During the second level a pop up tutorial should explain the (dreaded) Right
    >Mouse Button is used for speed up.

Case in point on the whole never reading popups thing.

>Yes I would almost agree, any suggestions?

That's tough... I think it's good that the game has lots of variety. That certainly helps. Probably it would have helped a bit had I known about the RMB and the load times were gone... but no.. other than that Im afraid I dont really have any really good constructive gameplay ideas at the moment. Ill post if I think of something though.

- S

6. Christian

Original Member

Hi, its a nice game, very profesional.
    Now, the critiques.

I didnt feel to keep playing the game either, its just no so fun.
    How to make this more fun? perhaps adding a little more challenge, some more mental play, beacuse now the only thing the game is about is putting roads in front of the chicken so it doesnt die, its rahter obvious what one should do, so there is no real challenge to ti, you just have to be fast.

So, a possiblity that came to my mind just in this minute, slow down the chicken, and make the challenge of the game this: the chicken must reach the rooster as fast as possible, this way the player must see all the pieces on the board and plann how to place each piece so the chicken reaches its goal throw the sohrtest number of blocks. Just an idea. But the game would be more fun if you make add a more mental challenge.

Also, on the issue of popups, you should add more variety in it, like adding tittles with different fonts, changing the sizes of fonts on the words that are less or more important, adding buttons, you need a jerarchy, a better layout of information in it. Right now it just looks like an bothersome orange box that must get closed right away. Make it more interesting to see.

I also had no idea what the game was about, or what was the objective until the third level.
    I just find out that you have to use the same tiles to make a combo? i had no idea, i thought that the game decided wich tiles should the chicken pass, and that you had to make the chicken pass through those tiles to make a combo.

Another suggestion is that, when the chicken encounters a wall, it would be nice to have a clock that indicates when the chicken will die, this will cause player to measure much better how close they where from death, this will affect the feelings of players.

Good luck with this very nice game!.

7. z3lda

Original Member

Q

Orginally there was cars that drove on the street but that didn't work out. The fox just randomly appears on tiles.

Ya that be great, can you send me a PM so I don't forget. I'll be using BMT, but will sign up with Plimus.

Ok point taken. I'll rework the tutorial and try to explain most of the controls and combo matching on the first pop up.

I think the goal of this game was to not design another pipedream clone, but more action arcade type game. I orginally did design a puzzle mode where you had to place the tiles, but the code has been passed around through two different coders and it is now very bogged down and very hard to change :eek:

I guess the exclimation over the top of chicken's head was not effective enough. Maybe I should increase the size of the exclimation as the chicken is about to die.

Thanks for the current suggestions and feedback, it has really helped me see the game in a different prespective. After seeing this game for a long time I'm really getting sick of it, and sales is probably last thing on my mind, as I'm already thinking of the next project hah. Shows how good I'm at running a business.

8. Drake

Indie Author

I find that this game gets very far on charm, and I mean that in a good way. It looks great, sounds great, and runs great. The music is fantastic. I like the whole package.

On the down side, I think the gameplay and tutorial help could use a little fine tuning. The only thing that I feel must be changed is the random, instantaneous teleporting of enemies like the fox and snake. Within ten minutes of demo play, I had run into a situation where the fox teleported to a tile at the same instant that the chicken stepped on it. That is simply unfair, and thus it breaks the game. I'd like to see the enemies make arcing jumps to their next position, slowly enough for me to react to the change. Failing that, make sure that an enemy cannot teleport to a space if the chicken is within a half-second (or so) of reaching that same space on his current path.

For the tutorial pop-ups (and the text in general), I recommend lowercase letters (not just 'i' :)). I am not trying to be patronizing, but uppercase impedes recognition and fatigues the eye, and that is why lowercase exists. You don't want to make it any harder for people to get the information. As another poster mentioned, highlighting salient points would be a good idea, too. For example, I like to use different text colors for important nouns and direct instructions to the player.

Other things:
    - Why count up to three when starting the level? Isn't counting down the way of the world?
    - The theme matching gameplay is unintuitive. If there was a tutorial pop-up on this, I missed it. I had to exit the game and read the separate how-to-play stuff to figure out why I was losing.
    - Shouldn't the high score table show my profile name, at least by default? I'm too lazy to type it in every time!