Feedback Request : Asteroid - ES

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Battleline, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Battleline

Original Member

I whipped together an Asteroids Clone using the engine I developed for Epoch Star. It's a pretty addicting little game called Asteroid - ES. Similar to asteroids, but 3D with power ups, attacking ships, asteroid to asteroid collisions and a few other features I threw in. I'm about to freeware it, and I just wanted some feedback before I go ahead and do that.

Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks

Asteroid - ES download page

2. Nexic

Indie Author

First off, there is no point in zipping the installation file, you saved a whole 22kb!!!!! It's not really worth it, especially as a lot of people won't be able to open them.

The games seems fairly well done, and the graphics are okay. I found it to be much too hard, with the ship's acceleration being way to fast, and the drag being EXTREMELY low. Some people might relish this challenge, but for me it makes playing the game too hard. Even if it is less realistic, I would increase drag and reduce acceleration to make the game appeal to more people. I would also make the weapon range longer.

It's not very complex (not much variation), but it doesn't need to be. Its a quick bit of fun, that as far as I can tell is totally free. So a thumbs up overall.

3. Battleline

Original Member

Thanks for the feedback. The only reason I zipped the file is because I'm having the download hosted by GameDev.net, and for some reason, they only allow you to upload files in .zip format, so sorry for the slight inconvenience, but it saves me the bandwidth, and it actually downloads quite a bit faster from their site than from mine.

Right now there is no drag at all, unless you slow the ship down using a reverse thrust, or turning in the opposite direction. This is the first time I'm hearing the game is too difficult (I haven't solicited much feedback so I may hear this more) so I'm interested to know if more people feel the same way.

The range of your weapon goes up with the power ups. I would prefer to have a one or two less asteroids on the opening level to making the player have a longer range by default, but I'm interested in what others think about this as well.

The game is totally free, I pulled it together on a lark over a long weekend. All I'm planning on doing to it is tweaking it a little, and finding a better freeware license for it. I'm excited to get a little feedback on it. If more people think it's too difficult I'll have to tweak it a bit.

Thanks much :)