[Feedback] PlayDetective: Heartbreakers - soft release

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by ZuluBoy, Apr 4, 2007.

1. ZuluBoy

Indie Author

Hello guys,
    After several months of hard-work, I am happy to present a new demo of PlayDetective:Heartbreakers.
    This is actually a soft release and it will last until the end of this month.
    I am looking for feedback, but feature requests within the next 3 weeks are also welcome.
    I am still trying to balance the gameplay, so please let me know if you think the gameplay is either too easy or too hard.

The official website of the game is:
    http://www.playdetective.com

Links to screenshots:
    Screenshot1
    Screenshot2
    Screenshot3
    Screenshot4
    Screenshot5
    Screenshot6
    Screenshot7
    Screenshot8
    Screenshot9

Download link:
    http://www.playdetective.com/links/demo_windows.php

Trailer:
    http://www.playdetective.com/links/trailer.php

Thanks in advance!!!

2. mrkwang

mrkwang New Member

I got an Error & Game crashes, when episode starts. Also for Tutorial episode starts.

Using Korean Windows XP.

3. Cartman

Indie Author

Very interesting game. I think it has alot of promise.

Some things I noticed:
    ================
    I never understood what my mission was in the game. I gathered that I was playing the role of a private investigator looking into peoples infidelity. But I never ran across that anywhere in the tutorial.

Sound was very low at game start on my machine. I didn't even know music was playing even with my volume all the way up. I then went into Options and changed it to near full volume and got alot of static.

Some of the message boxes were poping up too much. I would see a new icon, and then immediately a box would cover it up and explain to me what the icon was for. But I couldn't see what the icon was until I cleared the message. This annoyed me. I think a balloon above the object would have worked better.

One message box appeared behind the mini game selection screen, so I couldn't read it.

About the mini games:
    ================
    I really liked the cryptogram. It seemed to fit well with the theme of the game and was fun to complete.
    The match three was also fun, however I didn't understand what it had to do with the big game. It seemed like it was just thrown in there.
    The picture rearangement game was hard to use. It seems to need a better UI so that it's easier to move pieces around. Also, I think it would be better connected to the game if it was a sliced up photo like in a shreader or ripped up instead of in uniform squares.

Good luck. :)

4. ZuluBoy

Indie Author

I think we are facing the problem mentioned here.
    In fact, I am currently using the CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA folder to save game data. I will fix this ASAP.

Thanks for your suggestions Cartman, I will try to include them into the game.
    BTW, the sound issue is a known issue and I am currently working on that.

5. ZuluBoy

Indie Author

Come on guys, more feedback please!
    From the log I can see that the game has been downloaded by many here.
    Even if you think the game sucks, go ahead and say it loudly :D.

6. Rainer Deyke

Indie Author

I gave it a try.

I started by clicking on the tutorial button. I pressed 'next' a couple of times before I realized that the 'next' button selects one of many tutorials, and that I'm supposed to click on the 'start button to actually view the tutorial. I didn't actually press the 'start' button, because at that time I had already spent as much time on the tutorial menu as I was willing to spend on the whole tutorial. I decided to start a new game.

The ridiculously slow text animation at the beginning of the scenario is a major annoyance. I know I can click to reveal the entire text, but having to click all the time is annoying.

You don't have to tell me that the game is fictional. You have no excuse for wasting my time by telling me that.

I lost my patience when the text from the start of the scenario repeated again. At this point I just didn't care any more, so I clicked a couple of times to get the game started.

First look at the game screen. I don't like any of the graphics, but I particularly loathe the smooth grey texture. There is no excuse for texture stretching in a 3D game, but there is even less of an excuse in a 2D game.

I had no idea what to do, but I wasn't about to go back to the tutorials. I found and pressed the 'next' button. Something started to happen. So far so good.

Eventually I got to a cryptogram mini-game. I was making good progress when a message box popped up telling me I had run out of time. I had no idea that I was under a time limit in the first place. A time limit makes no sense. However, the really unforgivable bit was that the message box did not respond when I clicked the 'ok' button. Instead, I had to click the 'quit' button to exit the mini-game, then press the 'ok' button on the message box.

Soon after that the game told me that I had lost because I had not gathered enough evidence in time. I blame the game for not telling me how to play. I quit and uninstalled at this point.

My verdict: the game may or may not be salvageable. Just about everything it does, it does wrong. However, there may or may not be a playable core game underneath the awkward, time-wasting, and confusing user interface and the crappy graphics. I couldn't tell either way.

Side note: people who hire detectives to spy on their loved ones are scum, and I felt dirty playing the role of such a detective. I would have much preferred trying to solve an actual crime.

7. Uesugi

Uesugi New Member

I played through the tutorial, which wasn't bad. I really like the music and title screen graphics. They're excellent.

I also liked the text message decryption minigame. It fits in well with the game. The match three and puzzle games don't fit in well, but they're fun and work okay.

There are some graphic oddities during gameplay that I'm not sure are supposed to be there. Like a square under the mouse pointer, and the highlight box around the various map icons remains behind on the map until you click on it again. Also, the red square that indicates an icon is offscreen looks kind of ugly.

If you click on the fast forward button and people start a conversation, you can't click on the normal play speed button.

My main criticism of the game is from a logic standpoint. ;)

It's weird that phone calls from the client, pictures, and wiretaps cost so much money.

I got bored in the first case (after completing the tutorial) because I needed to collect nine pieces of evidence! (The plural of evidence is almost always "pieces of evidence," by the way.) That seems like too much. Once I get a phone message of Laura saying "I love you" to her boyfriend, and a picture of them together, shouldn't that be enough for her husband? And what about the text message I decrypted for bonus money. Shouldn't that be evidence, too?

The way this game is setup, it seemed that suspects are always guilty. That's kind of depressing...

8. ZuluBoy

Indie Author

Thanks Rainer Deyke and Uesugi. Your suggestions will be taken into account :).
    Anymore feedback anyone?