Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Gnatinator, May 26, 2005.

1. Gnatinator

Original Member

Hello everybody :)

I would like some feedback on my brand spanking new game Outer-Rim Pod Digger.

Although I need feedback on both ports, the mac port is quite new and I need as much feedback as possible for it. (Being my first mac distributable, it could get messy).

Game Description:
    Outer-Rim Pod Digger is a hybrid stratpuzzle game which pits you (The almightly Pod Digger) against all odds as you have to rescue the poor Bubblemen from the lifepods deep within the martian soil.

During the course of the game you will explore and excavate many sites over 4 different game worlds. To do this you will be equiped with the latest in planet mining technologies including ultra-steel girders and energy lifts. You must build, dig and blow out pathways so your martian buddies can evacuate the helpless Bubblemen.

Screenies:
    Shot 1
    Shot 2
    Shot 3
    Shot 4

Downloads:
    Mac Download
    PC Download

Have fun :D

#1 Gnatinator, May 26, 2005
    Last edited: May 26, 2005
  2. Gnatinator

Original Member

Anyone? Comon it really isnt that bad is it? :rolleyes:

3. soniCron

Indie Author

I haven't had a chance yet, and I'm in the middle of something, but I'll check it out in the next 30 minutes or so and let you know.

4. Sharpfish

Original Member

I d/l it earlier and played it for 3 levels or so (sorry I am a busy person so I rarely reply to these threads as I don't d/l much)..

anyway.. I thought it was very nice. Without getting into specifics, I liked the control - the use of "simple strategy", the diminuative and cute-ish while still being "technical" graphics, and the hint of lemmings/pikmin.

It had nice use of tool tips and help messages etc.

I didn't see any flaws or anything that put me off at first play but would need more time on it to truly apreciate it (as it is a bit more in-depth than a simpler casual game).

well done!
    :)

5. DadTimesTwo

Original Member

Wow... I enjoyed that. I hated to see the demo end. Quibbles:

1. The Bubblemen artwork and animation looked kinda cheesy and low-grade. Everything else looked good.

2. I wish there was a slightly broader view of the level.

3. I also wish the screen wouldn't scroll when I move my mouse up to grab tools or down to click buttons.

Perhaps you could consolidate both portions of the HUD on the bottom of the screen, make the HUD smaller to allow for a broader field of view and create a frame around the edges of the field of play that the player could move his or her mouse pointer along without scrolling the gameplay area. I know the frame would shrink the field of view, but the scrolling is rather bothersome.

Maybe one or two more levels on the demo, too. It felt abbreviated - although I was left wanting more. :)

6. Gnatinator

Original Member

Thanks guys.

A new demo is in the works with new improvments and an extra demo level.

Feedback is still welcome!

7. JiriNovotny

Original Member

Man, I can't win the second level. I've done it exactly like in your help guide, but it always launch the radioactive dude to the left, he walks through dirt and fall in the pit. Maybe I'm total idiot, but I don't know what's wrong, really.

Otherwise it's cool, but I don't like that I can't select mission with mouse clicking on it's name, but must click the arrows.

8. Sharpfish

Original Member

you mean the one where you have to use a girder (platform) from the above selections? just drag a platform in and he will walk over the bridge! :)

9. Gnatinator

Original Member

He walks through the dirt? Really? That should not be happening :( Got a screenshot?

The dirt should block him and he should turn around walking right.

Have you tried restarting? What are your system specs?

#9 Gnatinator, May 27, 2005
    Last edited: May 27, 2005
  10. JiriNovotny

Original Member

Yes, he does. He's thrown right into the dirt.

Screenshot is attached.

My PC is pretty crappy:
    Windows ME
    AMD Duron 1.3
    364 MB SDRam
    Riva TNT 32 MB

And yes, it happened even after PC restart.

Attached Files:

11. terin

Original Member

If...

If someone says they enjoyed the game and hated to see it end this is NOT a reason to add another demo level. This is a reason to leave it the same or REDUCE demo levels :)

-Joe

12. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I think the key with the demo length is to give enough to hook the player, but also to make sure you leave them with the feeling that there's a lot more coming their way. If done poorly a short demo could make someone feel like they'd be buying a really short game.

13. mahlzeit

Original Member

Just a small thing: I hate it when pressing Help shuts down the game in order to show an HTML page in the browser. Maybe the Help button can have some text to indicate this will happen.

14. Sillysoft

Indie Author

I tried it out on Mac OS 10.4.1. I could only seem to play the very first tutorial level. Everything else I tried said 'full version only'. So I didn't really get a taste of the gameplay.

15. Drake

Indie Author

It's fun! You definitely left me wanting more. One note: the way the rockets leisurely drift into space seemed a bit anti-climactic. I could go for some big sounds and particle effects there, maybe with the camera tracking their launch into the stars.

Technical notes:
    - Sounds/music were very fuzzy. Too compressed, or a problem with my card (M-Audio Audiophile 2496)?
    - Game crashed consistently on launch when I selected Windowed mode and restarted the game (Mac OS 10.3.9). I hunted for prefs to trash for a while, before realizing that the config file was stored in the app bundle itself. Trashed that to find that the game doesn't rewrite a default one. Trashed the .dmg and unzipped a new one; everything ran fine in Fullscreen.

16. Gnatinator

Original Member

There are four levels. Four on the first planet. Could the game have done anything to make you notice this easier? Did you notice the hint that pops up after you beat the first mission?

Thanks. I've tried it with particle effects, but it was ugly compared to the animation. So I decided to stay with the animation.
    All sounds and music are stored in 22050 hz, 16-bit, mono .wav files. Unless its a hardware problem, its just the sound quality itself.
    The game should do a check in all video modes to find you something that will run on your computer. Did it do so? :confused:

17. Drake

Indie Author

Well, once I selected Windowed mode and exited the game, I got an unexpected quit every time I launched the game thereafter. It just didn't want to run in a window for me.