Feedback on order form mock-ups, please.

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Aggrav8d, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Aggrav8d

Original Member

Here are the first vesion of mock ups for the order form built into my latest game, Freakin, available at http://freakin.no-ip.com/
    I would really appreciate it if some of you could take a look and tell me what you think. the order of the images is as follows:
    ftp://freakin.no-ip.com/pub/freakin/orderIntro_3.png
    ftp://freakin.no-ip.com/pub/freakin/orderContact_3.png
    ftp://freakin.no-ip.com/pub/freakin/orderCredit_3.png
    and lastly
    ftp://freakin.no-ip.com/pub/freakin/orderFinalizeSuccess_2.png
    or
    ftp://freakin.no-ip.com/pub/freakin/orderFinalizeFailure_2.png

On the left side of the menu, under "finalize purchase" is an animation that shows the current purchase price. I have no included it because of the static nature of these images.
    My biggest concern is that the intro text fails to asuage people's doubts about the security of the system.
    I am considering changing the "NEXT >>" button that appears at the end of the credit card info dialog to something more obvious such as "PURCHASE NOW >>".

Thank you in advance for your time & opinions. :)

#1 Aggrav8d, Oct 5, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  2. Mithril Studios

Original Member

Some comments:
    Order Intro page
    fourty -> forty (unless that's a Queen's english spelling of forty?)

I would actually be concerned that you are NOT keeping a record of my transaction. How do you know I bought it, if I want a refund? Or if something goes wrong?

"Once you have successfully made a purchase..." sounds strange. I would say "Once your credit card is charged..."

"... and then click START and you too could soon be playing..." should instill more confidence. Try "... and then click START and you too will soon be playing..."

Order Contact page
    Not everyone lives in a State - be careful what information you require of your customers. Perhaps a better approach would be to have people enter their information as it appears on the credit card bill, then you can just have several free form text fields.

Order Credit page
    You are a missing a credit card type field (i.e. Discover, Mastercard, etc.)
    You can't just determine their CC type by the number they put in, as some CC's are combined with debit/checking accounts, and they use non standard numbers. Additionally, most people would wonder why it's not there.

I would use drop down boxes for the expiration dates - saves confusion for the user. (Do I put in the slash? 04 or 2004?) While all those things are programmatically easy for us to deal with, it can create confusion for the user.

Why is there a 48 hour turnaround time, if no one ever sees the CC info? It usually only takes a few minutes to get the auth from the clearing house.

HTH
    Anthony

3. Sillysoft

Indie Author

I would rework the order intro page. I don't think that the text really speaks to the user, and there is too much of it. This is a screen where you should be doing your darnest to close the sale. Tell the users what benefit they get from buying, and do it in big simple words.

4. fusionlab

Original Member

I would make the "How did you hear about this game?" option a drop-down menu to make it simple for customers and maximise response.

5. Aggrav8d

Original Member

Fourty? So much for my pfoor dearing.

I have not yet made a drop down list control, tho I am planning to make one very soon. I'll be using it for the country, card type, card expiration month & year, how you heard, and probably some other places.

Leaving out the card type was a mistake. Thanks for catching that!

State will be amended to say "State/Province (only required if you live in the USA)"

I have tried to punch up the intro text as suggested.

The links in the first posting have been updated to point to the new images.

This is all good advice. I thank you! Does anyone have other suggestions?

6. MrPhil

Original Member

I suggest reducing the screens to as few as possible and collecting the least amount of information necessary. The faster and easier the process the higher the probability they will complete the sale.