Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Chicknstu, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Chicknstu

Chicknstu New Member

Kaboodle!

Hi guys. This is our new game, it's called Kaboodle. And, for a touch of class, the team is 50% female!

Kabodle is an original, cute, addictive puzzle game in which you must use your powers of perception to find the required clumps of blocks. Collect stars to advance through the levels, or see how many points you can gain in one of seven varied game modes. It will leave you, and anyone around you, sreaming at the screen!

It looks like this,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And you can get the demo here,

Demo

The reason there's no full version (it's done, but not released) is that we really want to do more with it than simply give it away for free (i.e., we want to sell it) But we're scared about licences, legalities, and just how the hell to do it, which we're looking into. Also, do you think it's ready?

Please give it a go and leave your feedback below. You'll need the very latest DirectX, and a modern-ish PC.

Cheers,

X-posted a bit, sorry if you're seeing this twice :)

Stu + Teresa

#1 Chicknstu, Oct 2, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  2. jcottier

jcottier New Member

The game is running utterly slow on my dual core, like 4 FPS. I guess, there is a problem somewhere ;-)
    So, couldn't test it.
    No installer?

JC

3. MrGoldfish

Original Member

Just gave it a try and it worked perfectly on my machine:

- Windows XP (SP2)
    - DirectX 9c
    - 3.0GHz Pentium 4
    - 2GBs RAM
    - ATI x800 Pro
    - 20" Widescreen monitor

I actually liked the game; it's rare for me to find a game of this type that i enjoy but this one is pretty fun :) I hope it sells well.

4. Maupin

Original Member

Your link doesn't go to the zip file it indicates... Kind of annoying. ;)

Anyway, the game doesn't start for me. I get the error "The application has failed to start because d3dx9_32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

5. Chicknstu

Chicknstu New Member

That's because you need the very latest DirectX DX9.0c (latestmonth2007)

Actually, does anyone know how to get around this problem?

The link should be fixed now.

6. Chicknstu

Chicknstu New Member

Latest gfx card drivers and DirectX?

Installers are wierd things. People seem unsure about running something that doesn't have one, despite the fact that a badly writen installer could do more damage than an exe, and then you run an exe afterwards anyway!

Personally, if I download a demo for a quick look, and it boots into an installer, then I'm outta there if I'm not sure of the source.

7. Sharpfish

Original Member

When asking for feedback 'personally' shouldn't really come into it surely?

8. jcottier

jcottier New Member

This is a very bad idea to use the latest DirectX for such a casual game. If dev people like us can't even run your app, do you expect potential customer to be able too? People will not take the time to download the latest driver to test your game, they will just download an other game instead.

XP didn't came with DX9 initialy, it was DX8. Might be too late, but it would have been wiser to develop this game using DX8 or even DX7.

JC

9. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Installer make your game looks more proffessional. And don't forget to include an uninstaller too.

I am using this one:
    http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

JC

10. Spore Man

Indie Author

Hmm, I look forward to trying this game, as I find it very interesting . ;-)

11. Chicknstu

Chicknstu New Member

he he. I just tried your game out. Don't worry it's not the same :)

yours reminds me of a japanese SNES game called 'Same Game' or something (Bad translation). Looks very similar tho!

12. Spore Man

Indie Author

Don't worry I wasn't making accusations. My game is OLD and IS based on Same Game... :D

I just tried Kaboodle (puzzle mode only). I like it. Very interesting variation on the Same Game genre. I didn't have time to really invest myself in it so I can't say too much about it except:

1. You need a "negative" sound effect when the player uses right-click. I thought I was just cycling through available shapes. Didn't notice the time running down until I game-over'd really quick. You need to make them aware there is a penalty (audio clue being the best way).

2. You might consider NOT allowing the right-click cheat, just to keep the gameplay "1-click". I'm not sure how that impacts gameplay in harder situations...

3. I'm not a fan of the music. It's too goofy/circus-like. In fact, it sounds a heck of a lot like music from Banjo & Kazooie (might want to check if the source of this tune is legit or not).

13. Chicknstu

Chicknstu New Member

Thanks for giving it a go Spore_man

wrt Right clicking, I agree that a negative sample would be good (I'm sure I had one in). I want to keep it in because players can actually use it tactically. As your combo goes up, the shapes get bigger. If all your stars are in small clumps, you might decide to forfeit some time in order to get smaller shapes that'll fit.

The original placeholder misic was from banjo & kazooie, oddly enough. But then I got hold of this new stuff from a nice man who claimed to have written it himself.

14. Chicknstu

Chicknstu New Member

I decided to make this Freeware after all, but thanks for the help anyway. Obviously, I'm always looking for more feedback, but if 'freeware' means the thread needs to be locked, go ahead.

Full version available at RetroDev

Stu

15. AJ75

Indie Author

Gave it a try and I like the graphics and the music. The game mechanics seem pretty original and fun. My wife liked the graphics too, but thought the moving background was a little distracting.

16. funnygames

funnygames New Member

I've test it! the game is great!
    Can I put a download link on my game site?

17. Shoe

Shoe New Member

You know what you should attempt to import this to? The wii or the iphone! That would be amazing! By the way it looks great!

18. Backov

Original Member

You need to link whatever graphics engine you are using against an older directx. I suggest Summer 2004, which is the release before they started doing that d3dx_##.dll thing.

It has no measurable performance effect, but it sure helps your compatibility.

19. Chicknstu

Chicknstu New Member

Sure, go for it.

20. fmsoftware

fmsoftware New Member

I really like the clean and simple graphics.