[Feedback] Jeweltopia <- soniCron's game

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by soniCron, Feb 28, 2006.

1. EJSainz

Original Member

OK, definitelly your game is both fun and absorving, but it would be nice to explain the Hold behaviour, since it's a very important element in the strategy: how you get holds, how many of them, and, more important, show when the hold is going to start working:
    1) if you had 0 holds and you get 3 new holds, the next row will fall
    2) if you had 1 holds and you gain 2 new holds, the next row will not fall because you had 1 holds before

in both cases, you look at your holds and there are 3 holds at the end of your movement: nothing indicates if the row will be falling or not. I think that it could be a little more clear by, for example, making the next-row iles vibrate if they are going to fall. ¡It's very strange to see you have died with 8 holds!

And again, there should be some panic button to consume all holds an make the rows fall inmediately. It would be of great help, at least at the first levels.

Finally, one strange bug: every time I've beaten a level it read I got a bronze (3) medal, but in the selection screen I've got many silver medals ... a minor bug, that I'm sure can be easily corrected.

2. soniCron

Indie Author

Thank you! That's really great to hear! :) I don't know if you like the gameplay or the presentation, but I was trying really hard to bypass a huge production budget and focus very strongly on the interactivity and "life" of the game and the way it responds to the player. There are still many things that are left to be done, but I feel there is a solid foundation to work with. Thanks again! :)

As per the hold behavior, this is still in flux. That is why the tutorials don't accurately reflect the way the game should be played. However, the current version is vastly improved in this regard, and the tutorials (all that remains before the next beta) are being updated to reflect that. This release was mostly a technical test and sanity check.

It wasn't explained in the tutorials, but you can click the row of jewels at the top to drop them early, and it doesn't use your holds! :)

This is news to me, and I'll be looking into it. While the medal system hasn't been calibrated correctly, I'm surprised you are getting errors. Are you sure you didn't replay them and get silvers later on?

Thanks for your time and your feedback! There will be a greatly updated beta release soon (tomorrow?), and I would appreciate your feedback on that as well. Thanks again! :)

3. Sharpfish

Original Member

Have you managed to address the speed issues on < 800mhz crap(ie duron/celeron) CPUs? If not I may give it a whirl on one of my other systems because I'm very interested in actually giving it a play rather than a stare this time ;)

4. soniCron

Indie Author

It's quite a process to transfer the game to my old 500MHz K6, so I haven't tested it on that yet, but Andy tried it on one of his (old) computers and said it ran fine. If you contact me through IM, I will send you a copy so I can make sure the problem really has been resolved. Thanks! :)

5. EJSainz

Original Member

You are welcome. About what do I like from the game, I don't exactly know what is it: presentation is great, very rich on effects (love the shrinking of pieces when swapping: it's as simple as effective, and it just doesn't overload the action), and gameplay is simple, yet the hold system seems to promise deeper challenge.

Plus, when playing I feel like I am the one that controls the outcome. Much of the last mach-3 games I've played lately generate random filling and you simply can't do anything about it: only luck (or an evil pseudo-random number generator) seemed to decide if I was to get the match I was in need of.

Thus, having the sensation of control over the future has become a very important fact for me: in your game, if I lose it's just because I did wrong, not because I was unlucky; therefore, trying to play better makes sense, not like in other games where the sensation is that playing better or worse just doesn't make any difference.

I wish I had known! So many holds wasted ...

Absolutely. I just played levels on and on until the trial time expired :p ... which happened so soon ...

Sure!

6. Sharpfish

Original Member

WEll I really don't know what it is then. This machine has a GF4ti4200 128mb (So hardly a "casual" users card even though it would be laughed at by hardcore users). The cpu being 800mhz itself may not be the problem, but my ram speeds and L2 Cache of the duron etc. Of course I purposely hang onto this old machine for development reasons. ;)

I had re-installed winxp (pro+sp2) recently and have had no problems with any other game. However I have noticed larger FLASH based stuff doesn't run as fast/smooth as it could compared to my amd64 laptop.

Oh and I don't have IM (or any instant messaging gizmos) installed now because I have "cleansed" my system.

I will check out the next one, i'll let you know if it's still the same speed wise but I won't go on about it. Maybe it is just something weird with my system. You'll obviously know more once released and those "football mothers" get it downloaded to their celery 1ghz + intel intergrated graphics en masse.

7. EJSainz

Original Member

I'd suggest that you compare the CAPS of your videocards, for SoniCron may be using some special hardware supported operation that your graphics card may not be supporting.

This can be done with the DirectX Caps Viewer, a little utility from the DirectX SDK.

8. Sharpfish

Original Member

I know the caps viewer.

Mind you, I doubt that Daniel is using ANY obscure gfx card features (though I could be wrong) and I put it down to my test system having slow memory, slow CPU, small cache/s and slow bus speeds not getting along with his particular brand of full screen, bitmap filled, flash app.

Besides, my card is probably one of the most common out there (lots of hand me down systems but still more powerful than most integrated graphics) so I doubt the card is the problem, though it could be the drivers.

I still think it's purely bandwidth/bus related (combined with a full screen flash app which others have said is CPU intensive?). Of course if this is a problem worth fixing for a presumably "casual" game is for the big "D" to decide!

I am going to play the next version on my laptop which should run it fine (amd64, radeon9700). However I was more interested in just letting him know that there is a problem on an "old but still powerful enough to run ut2004 well" system.

BTW Daniel - what card DO you use for testing/developing this with and does it run in software as a fallback (or solely)?

9. Martoon

Original Member

Is this a "feature" of some laptops that I'm not aware of? With all of the laptops I'm familiar with, the opposite is true. Speedstepping throttles down the speed of the processor when it's not under load to conserve power (no sense having the CPU spin its wheels at full speed when it's idle), then steps up the speed when the percent of CPU utilization goes above some threshold.

10. soniCron

Indie Author

Oh, it most likely is. The entire game was written in Flash, and flash is all about the CPU. There is no hardware acceleration. (Unless Flash utilizes MMX, SSE, etc.) So nothing is going wrong with DX caps (it's all GDI drawing, I believe).

I have a GeForce FX 5200 on my main development PC (2.66GHz) and an ATI Rage Pro on my low end (500MHz K6) testing PC. And as I said earlier, the game uses the GDI to draw. I got sloppy with this title: Because my action title was able to run fine on the 500MHz machine, I figured, surely Jeweltopia would, too! However, it appears it was some sort of anomaly, and I believe it has been fixed. We'll know for sure once you run it.

I may have incorrectly identified it as "speedstepping," but the effect is what I described. I've experienced this on several laptops. However, it only seems to exist with applications that require 100% CPU use. It's been confirmed by other developers (where the power settings workaround/suggestion comes from). That said, it may have something to do with the CPU getting too hot in these machines, not power saving. Sorry I don't know more about the problem -- I can only identify the circumstances in which it occurs. (And it's rather inappropriate, as it'll work fine for 30-60 seconds, then painfully slow down.)

11. Sharpfish

Original Member

That's what I thought (not dx/gpu hardware related) - to clarify my 800mhz point, I thought maybe it wasn't the 800mhz per se but the fact it's an 800mhz sub-par-duron with missing cpu features and limited caching. For instance an 800mhz P3 or whatever "may" just be ok.. You say Andy ran it on a slow cpu and it was fine!? but as I don't know what mhz we are talking I am shooting in the dark. I suppose some people consider 1ghz low these days.

Good luck with new version. :)

12. EJSainz

Original Member

That changes everything: I'm so used to my good old DirectX engine that I always point to the same direction :p .