[feedback] Gunwing demo

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by BinaryMoon, Feb 1, 2007.

1. BinaryMoon

Indie Author

Gunwing is a vertically scrolling shoot em up that we are just putting the final touches too so we are looking for feedback...

You can see screenshots and an interview with the developer about the game here :

http://www.binaryjoy.co.uk/games/features/gun-wing-formerly-eridani-game-preview/

and here's a couple of direct links to screenshots :

http://www.binaryjoy.co.uk/gallery/gun-wing/gunwing15.jpg
    http://www.binaryjoy.co.uk/gallery/gun-wing/gunwing58.jpg

you can get the demo here :

http://www.binarysun.co.uk/downloads/demo_gunwing.exe

Any and all feedback would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Very tiny thing: If possible, have 'launch GunWing' checkbox could be ticked in the installation, I accidently missed that one :)

Does the installer create a desktop icon? I missed that if it does! (It should create one, or at least ask that)

I would like to move the ship using the mouse so that the ship would go directly to where my mouse cursor is - that would give me more control. Currently I can only move the 'where ship should go'.

Particle effects, fog, etc. were stunning! Good job. The sounds very okay, but lose a bit compared to gfx... (edit: after playing more waves... some of the enemy shooting sounds sound bit bad)

Could those enemies be something else than boxes... like alien ships that would start smoking when hit?

Overall I must say I enjoyed it, and that's a lot said from somebody who generally hates these type of games :cool:

3. Grey Alien

Indie Author

The installer doesn't make a desktop icon, it should for sure! Otherwise how will the player find it again easily later on, you can't expect them to trawl through Program files ;-) The installer does have a launch game but it is not ticked by default imho it should be. Oh and it still starts in Windowed which is non-standard especially for a shooter! Oh and the guitar takes too long to kick in on the title screen music ;-) Apart from that you know I think the game is cool, but I'll test this new version.

Menus are improved now.

The problem with mouse-based shooters is that if you say "OK let the ship be where the mouse is" then your ship can move unrealistically around enemies and bullets (but you soon get used to it) and then you also penalise joystick users who can't do the same movements. But if you don't do that, it *does* feel a bit funny having the ship catch up with the mouse. Not an easy one...

It's true that there is a lack of continuity between your ship and the glowing shapes bu I don't mind it personally. Perhaps if your ship was a glowing shape too?

Was thinking that the hilly background could do with some trees, houses roads etc...

The simple font could be improved to add more polish. Like when it says Wave1 it could spin and scale this text onto the screen so it's more arcadey. Perhaps the font and the HUD font could also be made of glowing lines like the craft? The HUD is simple and effective but maybe people expect more graphical polished ones these days?

On my system some of the sounds are a bit crackly especially when too many explosions are playing at once...

Still great fun with a joystick :)

How long will the final retail demo be?

#3 Grey Alien, Feb 1, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  4. BinaryMoon

Indie Author

The installer isn't finalised - it's the game we're looking for feedback on.

The enemies become more and more enemy/ space ship looking as you get further and further into the game.

You can read why the mouse controls were done this way on the interview I mentioned in my original post.

Will look into the sound effects.

Glad you enjoyed it - that's the main thing I wanted to hear :) Now I just have to hope you're not the only person to enjoy it!

5. oNyx

Original Member

<p> and <break> don't pause the game.

And joypad... you should factor povx/y in.

Mixing those two art styles doesn't work that well imo.

Why does the right hud thingy glow around and the left one doesn't? (Sure... it's easier on the right, but thats inconsistent.)

Ticking "run" in the installer spawned a Gun Wing zombie process, which took some cpu and some ram... and went idle after that. Had to kill it manually before launching it again (which worked fine). [win2k sp4, ati9100 internal driver version 8.252.0.0, directx 9.0c]

6. BinaryMoon

Indie Author

<p> and <break> - noted

art styles... well I like it. That's another thing that makes more sense the further you get into the game.

the glow? That was just overlooked - no big mystery. Will think about that as well.

the "ghost" game is a bit weird. I haven't had any problems using the run tick box - Is it repeatable?

Not sure what you mean by "you should factor povx/y" could you explain?

7. oNyx

Original Member

>the "ghost" game is a bit weird. I haven't had any problems using the run tick
    >box - Is it repeatable?

It appears that it doesn't create a tab in the taskbar if you switch over to some other app directly after running the game from the installer. It does, however, open a window (in the background) and a tab appears as soon as you click on the window.

I've never seen anything like that before.

(On a side note... the uninstaller leaves the Gun Wing directory behind.)

>Not sure what you mean by "you should factor povx/y" could you explain?

There is the primary axis pair. And some joypads feature a secondary (or tertiary) axis pair, which is presented to you as povx/povy. You get something like that on those dual stick pads which also feature some dpad.

These pads usually have some digital/analog toggle button for remapping the primary axis pair (dpad<->left stick). Unfortunately there are some really crappy drivers (hello Saitek) which often get in the way. Sometimes it works right away, sometimes it starts to work after a while... and sometimes it doesn't work at all.

If you only need one axis pair and a few buttons there is an easy way out of that:

Code:
    public static int simpleJoyX() {
    	int x = 0;
    	if (gamepad.getXAxisValue() > 0.5f || gamepad.getPovX() > 0.5f)
    		x++;
    	if (gamepad.getXAxisValue() < -0.5f || gamepad.getPovX() < -0.5f)
    		x--;
    	return x;
    }
    As you can see both axis (x and povx) are taken into account. And no matter which input you get it works just fine. As a nice side effect the user won't have to press the toggle button at all.

8. HappyCat

Original Member

Hi, cheers for the feedback everyone!

Anyway, Gun wing is my baby so I guess I should respond :)

Installer: Desktop icons and check "run now" option - will do.

Mouse Movement: As Grey Alien says, the alternative (locking the ship to the mouse pointer) isn't to my liking and the current method was the basis of the whole game so I've got no plans to change it.

Enemy Graphics: When I first started the entire game had a very abstract look (enemies and backgrounds) so it looked more coherent. As I expanded the game with more backgrounds I started to include some more "realistic" backgrounds to show a progression (from earth, into space and towards the aliens's abstract planet). Unfortunately that's kinda lost by putting the first two backgrounds in the demo. Perhaps we should choose different backgrounds for the demo so it doesn't look so odd.

Font: The simple font was a deliberate choice - I like nice simple designs like that.

HUD: Again, I like it simple like that. Doesn't clutter or get in the way. As for "Why does the right hud thingy glow around and the left one doesn't?" - I don't quite understand - each side of the HUD shows different information and has different requirements.

Sounds: Yeah, they do get a bit overloaded when there's a lot of explosions going on. Might look at that.

No taskbar icons on run from installer: Unfortunately this is just somethings that Blitz3D does if you switch away too quickly (Naked War suffers from the same thing). Can't do anything about it I'm afraid.

Uninstall: It's never left the Gun Wing directory behind for me (unless I put extra files in there) - the uninstall script certainly contains code to make sure it gets removed. Anyone else had that?

Pause/break to pause: Should be able to add that okay.

Joystick Pov: Unfortunately Blitz3D doesn't do the pov like that. It has a JoyHat command that returns the angle of the hat (between 0 and 359 degrees), which isn't exactly compatible with my current code. I'll have a think about it.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback :)

9. oNyx

Original Member

>Unfortunately Blitz3D doesn't do the pov like that. It has a JoyHat command
    >that returns the angle of the hat (between 0 and 359 degrees)[...]

Well, some sin/cos later you get normalized x/y values, which like... do the trick.

10. Game Producer

But shouldn't the game be about what I like rather than what you like :) I thought the game would be made for others than developers... ;)

Anyway - I can understand your point-of-view, but as far as I know there's no multiplayer option? Or online high scores? I don't have a joystick in my computer, so what's the harm done if it's easier for me? Could you find some common ground... Maybe enable this type of mouse control, but make enemy ships/bullets move faster...?

Anyway - I don't want to "yes/no" arguing regarding this: I'm simply saying that some people (like me) would like the game more if it had the kind of mouse control I mentioned. I think this from the sales & customer satisfaction point-of-view - and I ain't happy with these mouse controls ;)

P.S. HappyCat - I like your website happy cat logo, very one happy looking cat you got there

11. HappyCat

Original Member

Very true - I'll give it a bash :)

12. HappyCat

Original Member

Well, originally the game was made just for me. It wasn't until later that the possibility of actually trying to sell it came up. But again, what you say is very true. Maybe I could make it an option ...

13. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Felix the Cat is in the public domain now, right?

14. HappyCat

Original Member

I hope so :D

I've been using that as my online avatar for so long that I never even thought about it. Maybe I should remove it from the web page ...

15. oNyx

Original Member

PM me if you need some testing.

16. Leper

Original Member

Looking Good! ;)

17. Game Producer

Hah, well, we'll see how it goes :) Remember who is buying it... you? or perhaps somebody else?