Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by tafty, Sep 18, 2006.

1. tafty

Original Member

Hello All,

Fluffoidz is my first attempt at a downloadable PC game. It's an Asteroids variant and will be released as freeware in an attempt to build traffic to my website, hence why the highscore tables are online only.

I've pretty much taken the game itself as far as I want to go with it - it's fairly manic, shallow fun and (I think) good enough to be freeware. So, any feedback is welcome of course, but what I'm particularly interested in is feedback on the polish level as the intention is to use the framework behind the game as the basis for my forthcoming projects and to improve on the level of polish seen here.

Screenshots: http://www.buzzardgames.com/feedback/fluffoidz_compilation.jpg
    Installer: http://www.buzzardgames.com/feedback/FluffoidzSetUp.exe [4.9MB]

Cheers,

Gareth.

#1 tafty, Sep 18, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  2. adamw

Original Member

This game is pretty cool! Indeed, I think it's worthly to sell. I really love the feel and look. Well polished I'd say. It also has a nice original feeling to it by having to swallow enemies to extend the timer. It feels a bit too tough, however. You might ease it up a bit on early levels.

But to your question: definitely a nice framework. Take a page from PuppyGames who's taken a look and feel in a wonderful retro-direction.

Keep it going!

3. dxgame

Original Member

Are you using time based movement or frame based? The game seemed to play very fast!

4. tafty

Original Member

@adamw
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I don't think there's enough depth or variety for it to warrant people parting with cash to play it. The time extension mechanic is "borrowed" from Every Extend.

In terms of toughness; did you have trouble controlling the ship and collecting the time capsules? Did you realise you were supposed to be collecting the time capsules?

I'm a big fan of Puppy Games work and will definitely be looking to keep a retro look and feel to my future games but will hire an artist for future projects as I wouldn't expect anyone to pay for programmer art.

@dxgame
    The game is written using BlitzMax and uses the in built locking to 60Hz functionality. I'll ask at the BM forums if this fails on some PCs. Can I ask what spec PC you were using when you tried the game please?

5. princec

Indie Author

Lovely style but Christ, it's hard! Asteroids is always a particularly difficult control scheme but this is like Asteroids on speed. I have a feeling you need to a) get mouse control in there somehow b) slow the game down a bit - it's running at 60Hz but there's a lot of stuff happening so fast I can't react to it c) greatly increase the ship's fire rate

Cas :)

6. dxgame

Original Member

Ok- I ran fraps on it and it does indeed display a max of 60fps. I guess things are just coded a little too fast then. Never could get past the first level and I'm a good Asteroids player myself. :eek:

7. adamw

Original Member

Yeah, the controls were a bit odd. You could back up - which was different and took a bit to get used to. I liked it! But it was different.

Yes, I flew through the how-to when I played the first time and didn't know about extending the time. But even playing a second time and know the 'goal', I couldn't get it. Too many enemies in the way. A bit too hard to control. Not enough of them to get to. So ease up on the number of enemies, maybe make the time extenders drift toward you.

Really, I think this game is near to something pretty great.

8. tafty

Original Member

Must...resist...saying..."Big girl's blouses!"...

Thanks very much for all the feedback! It had been levelled at me before that the game was hard so, believe it or not, it's been eased up quite a bit...

@princec
    Thanks, a compliment about style means a lot coming from yourself - even though you'll probably duck the praise and pass it onto Chaz. To answer your other points:
    a) Mouse control would turn it into a Geometry Wars/Alien Flux :p type affair. I want it to be an Asteroids variant. I really, really do.
    b) I'm going to have to go with this. Chatting to somebody about it today they reckon one of the key issues is the acceleration rate of the ship. They would accelerate to avoid/collect something and find themselves on the opposite side of the screen. Is this what you're saying too? Or are you suggesting limiting the speed of the Fluffoidz/everything?
    c) This relates to (b) too: there's actually 10 unlockable ships with a variety of characteristics including acceleration, top speed, mass, fire rate and multiple guns. I've picked the statistically average ship as the default but I think I need to do two things: allow a selection of 2 or 3 ships from the start and make the default ship a slower one with heavier firepower.

@dxgame
    Thanks very much for taking the time to run Fraps on it - that's a worry put to rest. With regard to not getting off level one - there is no levelling up. It's an open ended, gradually, er, hardening experience. It's just about getting a big score. At one point I had two other game modes that did include levelling up; "Happy Shopper" where the player was expected to collect a set number of timer capsules per level within a time limit and "Flock Stocker" where the player had to generate a set number of Fluffoidz per level without time running out. What remains is the Time Attack mode as it was my favourite of the three and having the other three seemed superfluous. Could this be a mistake?

@adamw
    I'll address the control issues everyone is outlining. I've got to bow to opinion and accept that it's too hard to control. I felt that slowing and backing up was required otherwise it really is difficult to control - I spend a lot of time backing up when I'm playing. The timer capsules drifting towards the player is an outstanding idea and I'll definitely implement that. The Anti-Fluffs (scary, hurty, red stars released when a Fluffoid dies) gradually target the player more as time goes by so the timer capsules can do similarly, targetting the player initially but less so as the game goes on.

I also think perhaps adding "Collect" labels above the timer capsules for the first few collections would help when players have inevitably skipped the instructions. Further research proves that everyone skips the first play instructions (glad I spent so much time on pixel perfect positioning of objects within the text!) because they think they're playing Asteroids and know what to do. I'm hoping that if the difficulty level becomes less punishing they may take more time to get into the game properly.

Another option I might consider is a gradual release of timer capsules each time a Fluffoid is shot instead of a big lump of them when a Fluffoid mutates.

There's another thread recently about difficulty levels. Has anyone tried it on "Easy"? Is it still too hard? Or does anyone even bother?

I'm also reminded of the Fragmentor feedback threads - is it as hard as that? Or is it just the Asteroids-ness of it all?! Honestly, back in the day you used to buy a game for a tenner and think yourself lucky if you got off level one within the week without your fingers dropping off and your eyes bleeding out...

#8 tafty, Sep 20, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  9. tafty

Original Member

Hello,

If anybody has the time and inclination I'd really appreciate some feedback on the improved and hopefully easier Fluffoidz. Here's a quick list of changes I've carried out:

• Removed difficulty levels
    • Added ship stats to the game play menu
    • Three ships are available for selection from the start
    • Default to a slow, heavily armed ship
    • Ship acceleration and top speeds have been tweaked
    • Added an extra ship; the Warbird
    • Decreased Fluffoid starting velocity
    • When Fluffoids divide their velocity is halved
    • Increased time bonus collision area
    • Early on the time bonuses are tightly packed and move in the player's general direction
    • Added "Collect" hint above time bonuses for the first 5 collections
    • Eased game parameters including, but not limited to, increased initial time limit
    • Send a score to the highscore table using the name "rammy" to unlock all ships i.e. cheat
    The new version is available, as before, here:

http://www.buzzardgames.com/feedback/FluffoidzSetUp.exe [4.9MB]

Many thanks,

Gareth.