[Feedback] Fashion Fable RC1 demo

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by tentons, Jun 21, 2006.

1. tentons

Indie Author

Creatrix Games (formerly Grim Inventions) is pleased to announce that we're about done with our next game, Fashion Fable.

It's a match-3 game with the unique feature that you can dress up in all kinds of clothes (120+), paper doll style. You can even recolor the clothes to customize them to your taste, which creates a huge variety. The gameplay is a little more strategic than other match-3's and offers a steady stream of new pieces and interactions as the game progresses.

Screen 1
    Screen 2
    Screen 3
    Screen 4

Download PC demo

We're looking for technical feedback regarding how the game runs on your computer. If you find a problem, please post here or via our contact form.

There will be a Mac version soon. You can click the buy button, but the buy pages are not functional yet as there's still a bit of work to be done to the website. A few minor visual fixes will occur for the "gold" release (like the red dot near the mouse hand) and some other "cleanup" issues (including a proper icon).

Thanks in advance for playing!

2. Christian

Original Member

I saw the screenshots and i couldnt resist to download it, you have a nice concept. I won the game very fast though, i could undress the girl completelly just after finishing the first level :D

The music and graphics are very nice, but when i begun the intro to the first level, i didnt understand that the little bug to the left was an imp, i thought it was just decoration, you know, it was just floating there with no other visual cues, maybe you shoould use colors in the words to indicate to what things you are refering to and use arrows with the same colors pointing to the right picture. When i begun to play i didnt know what to do because of this.

Now, i didnt play very long, but, what is the purpose of buying clothes? does it have an impact or purpose ON the gameplay?.

Othet thing, it was really awfull when i pressed Escape and the game closed itself or dissapeared, it remained at 800x600... you should have a button so we can quit the game whenever we want.

Very nice game, i predict that you will do very well with it, good luck :)

3. tentons

Indie Author

I'll try to make that more clear.

Originally I wanted it to have some effect, but ultimately we decided that for the intended audience that would be more subtlety than they want. It's still quite addictive even just for the sake of itself.

I'm not clear on what happened. Pressing 'escape' shouldn't do anything. :) Could you please explain this a bit more?

Thank you.

4. Christian

Original Member

I wanted to quit, so i presed Esc, the game window dissapeared (like if it closed itself) and the resolution remained at 800x600, then, after i changed resolution, it poped out again!...i tried it again just to be able to tell you more preciselly what happened, but now it didnt happen like before, and i also saw the "menu" button on the top right... its hard to see you know, everything is of the same color... nevermind, good luck.

Another thing, its a shame that the clothing part of the game doesnt have an overall impact, you know, you have a match-3 and another activity on it, it would be much better if the computer can respond and interact with the player in some way with this dressing mini-game, its still a good game, but it can be better if you do this.

5. electronicStar

Original Member

Wow , what can I say.
    Tenton I love the artistic direction you are taking with your games. (BTW maybe you could do a little postmortem on little gods when you have the time?:D )

I love what you did with Bejewelled! I can see the fashion appeal for females, but I can assure you it appeals to males too. I never thought I would have spent so much timle in a game trying different styles of underwear on a paper model:D (BTW where are the secret options to ..ahem change the underwear?:p)

Only problem I had was with the story, it's a little bit too long to read the way it is set up, maybe you should add a nice picture alongside the text, that would be rich and help the comprehension.

Also, I don't know if it is a problem with the casual market but I found the game to be a bit on the easy side.

6. tentons

Indie Author

That would be Greg Tice's masterful work.

I was surprised to find myself getting engrossed in the clothes, too. :) And so was every other male that played it during testing. Young girls (11-13 years old, based on testers) will need to be carefully peeled off the computer with a crowbar. Definite niche potential there.

I fully intended it to be very easy. Most players I observed got very frustrated and disappointed when they lost, but had lots of fun while winning. So it's amost impossible to lose. There's an auto-difficulty mechanism that will make the game easier each time you lose a level, gradually bumping back up to "normal" as you win after that.

But also the game begins extremely easy, and gradually introduces new imps that cause different kinds of problems as you play. So there is an increase in challenge, but mostly you just have to change how you play so that keeps it very fresh the whole time.

Thanks for playing!

7. tentons

Indie Author

Just wanted to say thanks to those who replied (all two of you). :)

The game is now available to buy from the Creatrix website. The Mac version should be going live in the next day or so, and there will be a press release soon as well.

Cheers,

8. DadTimesTwo

Original Member

My daughter was instantly addicted. She got an ink worm, was coloring some clothing, and asked if I thought what she had done would match her character's outfit. Since I couldn't see her character on that screen, I had no idea. It would be good if you could either show the character or her clothes on that screen so the person doing the coloring could better determine if they're creating a match.

9. Curiosoft

Indie Author

Hi,

I played the game and here's the feedback...
    1) I didn't quite get the game at first. Sure, it is match 3...but I didn't really understand that it's good to match those blobby things with the others.

2) I think the powerups need to come sooner! As I play...I'm anxious to try out the ink worms and other stuff....and I couldn't. I got really pissed about it. Secondly...when I did get the ink worm....I didn't know what it exactly did. Sure, I went to the place to "paint"...but I didn't quite get what was going on.

I think that you should start out giving the player a little money and a few ink worms and other goodies....so they can at least get a little taste. I'm not saying much...but something is better than bootstrapping!

3) I liked the game once I got into it. I wish I could enjoy the designing part more...but didn't quite understand everything....as the types and kinds of clothes I could buy would change with time, etc.

Hope the feedback helps.

Take care,
    Curiosoft

10. tentons

Indie Author

@DadTimesTwo: I will consider that. Thanks for the suggestion.

@Curiosoft: I've tried to make it more clear that you match the imps in the final release version. I'll think over how to possibly reinforce that even more.

Giving the player a few inkworms to start with is a good idea. I tried not to overwhelm players with too many options right at the start, so that was the justification for not doing so. Maybe it will be ok. :)

The clothes available are randomly selected between each level to give a sense of urgency to making some purchases (ie, if you don't buy it now will it be there again?). The idea is to make the player think a bit about what to buy. Any ideas about how to make that less confusing?

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.