Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by arcadetown, Sep 14, 2006.

1. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Online java based old school asteroids style blasting fun with all sorts of enemies and boss battles...

AsterBlast

Based on our Realspace 2 java game engine, AsterBlast was originally intended to be done quickly. By that time ArcadeTown demanded me and I simply couldn't find the time to finish it. After going through a few false starts (good Java guys aren't easy to find) finally got someone who finished it. Thanks to David Brackeen, the award winning developer of Scared. Yay my work didn't end up in the bit bucket.

Not bad at all for online Java 1.1 compatible. Enjoy!

p.s. a Realspace 3 is in the works, but this time it's in Blitz and not Java, so it's going to be 5x bigger and better.

2. oNyx

Original Member

On load sound plopping... thats so Java 1.1 ;)

Nitpicking:
    -intro: The planet has red/pink sparky pixels at the edge.
    -intro: Copyright (c) acradetown etc text isnt centered.
    -intro: Click to start... sorta odd at the top. I would move it to the bottom and make it blink around (for that insert coin feeling).

-game: The center point of the ships seems to be off (rotation looks more jerky than it needs to be).
    -game: Shield booster powerup says "sheild booster"

-controls: Curors+space is bad. You support ctrl, too, which is great, but the page doesnt mention it.

-page: The control scheme should be over at the applet page, too.

The good:
    -Runs fine on a crap 500mhz machine.
    -Nice graphics, good sound effects and awesome music.
    -Woohoo bosses!

3. Nexic

Indie Author

I like it a lot. Unlike most asteroids style games I can actually get past the first couple of levels, since I can actually control the ship. Other games sometimes have it whizzing around at super speed with no drag making it insanely difficult.

Loved the enemies, all pretty original and fun to fight. Really like the over the top asteroid explosions, makes killing them feel rewarding.

4. electronicStar

Original Member

The very good balance of gameplay elements makes this game really fun.

5. Coach

Original Member

Good version of a great game. I agree with the above poster about the wobbly rotation. Also, I don't like the planet background graphics. The lack of anti-aliasing on the edge looks ugly, and worse, makes it even easier to confuse them with actual game graphics, i.e. asteroids.

6. dxgame

Original Member

Played a little choppy on my intel extreme graphics (2.93ghz) box but otherwise a nice little shooter. :) Graphics wise I agree with the other comments.

7. adamw

Original Member

Wow. I thought this game was awful. Is everyone wearing kid gloves now? Now I was playing the download version, but seriously, several issues. I had scrollbars showing on the screen for crying out loud. The sound was choppy and didn't come through clearly. The response to controls was sluggish. And the graphics were fair to poor.

I mean, this is in the same domain as Astrogeddon and that's what I'd expect.

Are you guys giving it a pass because it plays on-line? Why?

8. Nexic

Indie Author

It's 100% free... I guess you're the kind of person that thinks all free flash games are awful because they don't quite compete with shareware?

9. oNyx

Original Member

You could at least try posting something useful. The browser (+version), the used java vm and the system specs would have been nice for example.

10. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

Blitz... Realspace.... this screams NEXIC doing realspace3! Am I right?

Anyway, I think it is solid as a web game- but not competitive with downloadable stuff.... I am sure that's exactly what was intended. It ran fine on my pc.

11. Nexic

Indie Author

Great detective work :)

12. arcadetown

Some items noted above have been fixed, spelling errors, planets better looking, text added on web pages, etc. There shouldn't be scrollbars on downloadable so needs fixing. Keep em rolling, we're listening.

Odd that some with high end machines had performance issues. That's Sun/Java for you. At Sun, backwards compatibility does not compute. Our last Java game for sure.

It's intended for free online play and simply not meant to stack up to high performance try/buy downloadable games. It's solid for online play now and would have been cutting edge if had got out the door 4 years ago when started it. Note it's pure Java (1.1 to boot), no JNI calls, no webstart junk, no activex, etc.

RE: RS3... there you go spreading rumors again Mike :rolleyes: Just need a good punch line for RS3. Hard to beat the old "Realspace 2 - Have you destroyed the earth today?". Man we got some rabbid fans dying for this sequel.

13. adamw

Original Member

And are you the type of person to think because a game is free it gets a pass on quality? I trust folks are posting here for honest feedback, so that's why I try to provide. I'm encouraging others to do the same.

Didn't play in the browser as I think I stated earlier. It fires up and asks for me to install java runtime - which I am loath to do. So I downloaded and had a very poor impression. That's my contribution and yes, I do think it's useful.

Now if it's a demo of some technology, then I missed that point I guess. I was expecting a fairly good game.

I mean honestly, this kind of defensive response answers my question. The game is getting a pass by a few folks here (not sure why). 4 year old game - I get that part. Isn't meant to compete with downloadable games. Ok. I get that too. But if one is trying to create a good impression for a web site - this doesn't get it.

#13 adamw, Sep 16, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  14. oNyx

Original Member

>That's my contribution and yes, I do think it's useful.

It doesnt work on some kind of hardware with some kind of software with some kind of settings. That doesnt really help troubleshooting, does it? I mean thats true for pretty much any game out there.

And why are you getting all defensive yourself anyways? I wanted to get you to post the specs and nothing else.

@Brian

Since its Java, you can also announce it over at JGO if you like:
    http://www.javagaming.org/forums/index.php?board=38.0

15. arcadetown

Downloadable has been fixed, scrollbars should no longer show. Thanks for pointing that out. Nobody's asking for a pass. Honest input always good to hear (although personally I'd be a little more professional in my choice of words), and yes download did look terrible with the scroll bars. Was an IE html issue.

16. Chris Evans

The game played a little sluggish on my 1.3Ghz Celeron, 512MB Ram. The visuals were kind of rough IMO, but it was fairly fun overall.

Anyway....

I'm not going to judge this game too harshly since Brian said it's essentially 4 years old. But I do want to mention that standards for web games have risen over the past several years. Sure it hasn't risen as fast as casual games and most web games don't have the polish/features of downloadables. However there is a lot of quality Flash and Shockwave games that have been released in the past year or so. Just because a game is free and in a web browser doesn't mean tons of people will automatically flock to it and keep playing it. It has to be interesting in some way and the more clean and polished the visuals, the better it will do.

I guess I just don't want there to be the perception that web games only need to be a few notches above "crap" to be acceptable to most web players who are just looking for freebies. Sure, there's a lot of crap Flash games but they end up just being filler content on one of the billion identical Flash CMS game sites.

Just as casual games had a renaissance a few years ago, the same thing is happening with web games right now as we speak.

17. adamw

Original Member

Thanks for the euphemism- although it should be completely obvious.

I can't believe you have the unmitigated effrontery to say something like that. Truly amazing.

And a bone to the rabble: I'm running a laptop 2.4 Ghz Pentium w/64 Mb ATI Graphics card. And the game does work. But let's not confuse function with form.

18. Nexic

Indie Author

Not at all, I enjoy the game for the reasons stated above. And I actually don't enjoy most free flash games. But yeh, I give them more credit for their efforts as they are free.

You've got a serious bee in your bonnet, really need to fix that. Also quit trying to use 'big' language to make yourself feel superior, it comes off tacky.

#18 Nexic, Sep 17, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  19. adamw

Original Member

Gosh, thanks!