[Feeback request]"Lie detector" mini-game for PlayDetective

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by ZuluBoy, Dec 12, 2006.

1. ZuluBoy

Indie Author

Hi guys,
    I am currently implementing a “Lie detector†(a.k.a polygraph) mini-game in my upcoming game PlayDetective.
    I have never been submitted to a polygraph test :D, so the gameplay is based on what I see in movies and read on the net.
    It works this way: you have a game character that you interrogate, the questions are picked by the computer, and can only be answered by YES or NO.
    Your goal is to detect when the character lies or says the truth.
    The interrogation procedure work as follow:

1 – The first question is a ‘truth’ control question (the character will always tell the truth).
    You must observe the charts and see how they behave.
    [​IMG]

2 – The second question is a ‘lie’ control question (the character will lie).
    You must observe the charts to see how they behave when the character is lying.
    [​IMG]

3 – The actual test starts, the computer ask several questions, the character replies to each of them and for every question, you just have to guess if it is true or false (the time is limited).
    At the end of the test your earn money based on you success rate.​

Here is a YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Srj-h8lLw
    You can also download the full-size video here: http://www.kayokomputers.com/e-nkap/games/heartbreakers/beta/polygraph.avi

What I need to know is, how does is sound to you?
    - Difficult?
    - Fun?
    - Not fun?
    - Sucks (like the whole game)?

By the way, the UI you see on www.playdetective.com is pretty old, the game has a new UI totally redesigned from scratch.

2. Bmc

Bmc New Member

from the video, it looks like it's too easy to tell a lie from truth

3. adamw

Original Member

I agree - it looks too easy to tell truth from fiction. Maybe make the polygraph not so clear on some questions - heart rate up, but breathing normal? And maybe allow the player to pick the questions to ask? Not sure how it fits into the rest of the game, but it might let you ask things that you discovered about the case you're working.

Of course, you need to keep it casual too, so it can't be *too* complicated.

4. TimS

Original Member

Can't tell enough about the mini-game from the concept and the screenshots to really comment on it accurately. A lot of it will come down to timing... If it's quick enough -- a minigame almost like the slot-machine in Super Mario 2, it could be an entertaining quick distraction from the main game. If it takes a while it does look like it'd be a bit too simple to be engaging and might seem "tacked on".

I couldn't help but post in here though... I have to say, your interface and especially that character image look AMAZINGly better. Very nice. I'm so happy that the scary poser 5 people won't scare any more children in the future. :D

-T

5. ZuluBoy

Indie Author

I agree that on the video it is too easy to detect a lie from the truth. I made it on purpose so that those who read this thread quickly understand the gameplay.
    In the actual game, things will be a little bit more difficult. For example, characters might (as suggested by adamw) have a heart rate up, but breathing normal because of fear, or a question might trouble them and affect their reaction in the next question etc...

All the honors for the interface go to DayDream.

LOL