Fallout-like games

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by tolik, Nov 19, 2008.

1. tolik

Original Member

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for your thoughts - which games that are similar to Fallout could you list? Both theme-wise (post-apocalyptic) and looking from turn-based strategy perspective?

The ones that I could bring out of my head are X-Com, Incubation (battle isle) and Syndicate. Any more ideas here?

2. Acord

Acord New Member

The first game that comes to mind is Wasteland, which had much the same setting. The game was developed by EA way, way back in the day - I played it to death on my C64, and later on procured a much superior PC version. The game shipped with a paragraph book, which had numbered paragraphs that you would be told to read from time to time along with a lot of red herrings, which served as a form of copy protection. If you didn't have the paragraph book, following the story line was nearly impossible.

The rangers from the Wasteland game make later cameo appearances in the Fallout universe, and Brian Fargo, one of the original devs of Wasteland, went on to help develop Fallout much, much later on. In many ways, the first Fallout game is a direct sequel to Wasteland.

The game featured an innovative mechanic in which you could use tools, explosives, skills, and character stats to solve puzzles. For instance, if you were intelligent enough you could, with enough tries, hack computers or create anti-radiation medicine. Strength could be used to bust doors down, dexterity could be used to pick locks, or you could just blow the door apart with C4 or a Mangler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasteland_(computer_game)

The second, also developed by EA, would be Fountain of Dreams, which was created with a slightly more advanced version of the engine. The plot wasn't a direct continuation, and the game was even harder. It didn't do well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_of_Dreams

The third was a game called MeanTime, which was never released, although it was mostly finished.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meantime_(computer_game)

It is worth noting that Brian Fargo still owns the rights to the Wasteland franchise. I wish he'd hurry up and do something with them.

After that, there were no games created in the same vein until Fallout appeared on the scene, followed by Fallout 2.

Fallout Tactics was created shortly thereafter, with the goal of producing a game more similar to Jagged Alliance 2, but the fans did not receive it very well at all. They were expecting the tried and true SPECIAL system, and were extremely disappointed that the gameplay had been changed so drastically. While I wouldn't call the game bad by any means, it was a lot like reaching down to take a swig of Coke and coming up with a cup full of light beer.

There was another Fallout game, based on the Hunter, the Reckoning engine. I didn't even want to play it.

The original Fallout 3 was in development by Black Isle, and was code named Van Buren. You can find references to that one here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Buren_(Fallout_3)

After this, Interplay failed, and the Fallout franchise got knocked around until it was picked up by Bethesda. I haven't played the new Fallout game - I just don't have the time these days, but I will definitely make time to play it in the future.

Anyways - if you start working on anything along these lines, let me know - I'm a post apoc fanboy and an artist besides ;)

3. tolik

Original Member

Thanks for the lengthy response, Acord.

I was actually a fan of Fallout & Incubation in the old days, following a lot of the games you've mentioned. Unfortunately I grew up on Atari 800 generation, not C64... I've also cared less for JA, so totally forgot about that one, thanks for reminding!

The game I'm talking about is a web-based MMO along the lines of Fallout - turn-based tactics battles (PvE, PvP), set in a post-apocalyptic world that is rebuilt and owned by players - clans owning factories and manufacturing weapons from resources gathered by explorers, players building cities & roads. Plenty of user generated content - dungeons, pvp maps, parts of the world map. Hundreds of NPCs and quests. Looking for early 2009 launch.

Currently I'm looking for some marketing ideas and trying to feel who's going to play it besides existing Fallout fans.

4. Michael Flad

Indie Author

5. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

Although it's not set in a post-apocalyptic universe, I find the Silent Storm franchise quite good, including completely destroyable environments. The only problem I saw with the game was the introduction of pretty much unbeatable mechs several missions into the campaign, which didn't work out well IMO with the WWII theme :)

6. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Setting apart (I like more the Fallout one too), Silent Storm is one of the best (if not the best) turn / team based games. A exceptional game until in the last mission becomes completely ruined from the invincible mech, as ManuelFLara said (I really wonder what the gamedesigner was thinking when he added those?!).

7. tolik

Original Member

8. tolik

Original Member

I can ask game designer of Silent Storm about that if you want ;)

9. Acord

Acord New Member

There is also an old, old mud based on Wasteland that I used to play, back in the heady days of having too much free time:

http://www.desolation.org/

10. moose6912

moose6912 New Member

Jagged Alliance 1 & 2 did not have the post apocalyptic theme. But it did have the turn base strategy type of combat along with loads of mercenaries who sometimes tend not to get along with each other and have their own personalities.

11. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

That would be really great :)

12. tolik

Original Member

I just got an answer from Pavel Epishin, game designer of SS. It's in Russian, but here's a close translation:

There was indeed a mistake in panzerklein balancing in SS2 - that was addressed by me in SS3 and you should play it as it's a much better game.

We got panzerklein idea from Fishtank producer who is a steampunk fan.
    Panzerkleins got added to have something totally new in the game, otherwise the game got too repetitive in the end plus this gave us ability to introduce bosses. We stand out from the other games thanks to this feature. As you ask me this question, you could see that people still discuss this subject, please look at Nival forums for more info.

To summarize, looking at statistics, more players liked panzerkleins than hated 'em. Press liked them as well. Anyways, game could be completed without 'em and dealt with them effectively.

13. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Cool :)
    Well for me the introductions of the mech also ruined a bit the WW2 atmosphere, but maybe that's just me. What was disappointing indeed was the balancing, they were simply too powerful, but I see he admits this himself.
    Anyway I don't think the game was too repetitive at all before the mech introduction, I believe was awesome already! :D

14. Pyabo

Original Member

15. Acord

Acord New Member

I totally forgot about that one.

16. vjvj

Indie Author

Rebelstar Tactical Command for Gameboy Advance, of all platforms. It was developed by the Gollop brothers (creators of X-Com).

17. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

One of the ones I remember with that theme:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/twilight-2000/screenshots

Twilight 2000 was a kind of RPG like iso game with some fairly dark themes. It also is a proper RPG as well I believe.

Also, in a similar vein (its actually said its post apocalyptic, but its set during a new ice-age and you are a "survivor" so I guess its implied).

http://www.mobygames.com/game/midwinter/screenshots

Some great ideas in this one. Lots of ways of moving around the world, lots of different ideas involved and characters etc. I kind of wonder why we dont see more of this style of game (sort of a mix of exploration, combat and conspiracy theory).

18. tolik

Original Member

Thanks everyone! I've got enough clues on how to proceed now.

19. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

It's more of a standard RPG, there's also Planescape: Torment.

20. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Ah Midwinter, now that was a classic! :)