Eye of the TIGRS

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by soniCron, Jul 9, 2005.

1. soniCron

Indie Author

Granted, but is it really in the publisher's interest to lie? A parent downloads a game thinking it has decent content only to find out that is quite questionable? In the downloadable games industry we're in, nobody's paying before playing.

Everything else: noted and considering....

2. soniCron

Indie Author

I took this very personally (good thing) and you're absolutely right. I've got a lot of experience in design and why I let something so hideous pass as even acceptable is beyond me. (Barring the current TIGRS website, which, frankly, I don't care about, design-wise.) I was so bent on the function that I really ignored the form. So, I hopped back in the water and started fiddling. Two things were on my mind when I was working with the design this time:
    • Your suggestion of fun iconography, especially the idea with the smileys
    • John Raptis' want/need for the kid-friendly icon rating
    When John asked for that, I thought, "Why hadn't I thought of that?" So I sat down for three seconds and whipped up a "welcoming" "Kid Safe" icon. But while I worked I kept thinking how it was not as playful and fun as it should be, being a kids' icon after all. Unfortunately, this didn't seem to trigger anything in my brain that the whole thing was in dire need of help!

Needless to say, I loved the idea with the smileys, but thought I'd take it a step further. These are ratings for online games, right? So what better than online smileys! (emoticons) I sat down with the sole purpose of making a new design that was
    • first fun
    • then functional
    That's not to say they're not functional. But by doing what I know best (the design), the function came naturally, and in a big way. So, I submit for your approval (that's everyone!)...

the new TIGRS design! (work-in-progress)

3. botman

Original Member

Hey SoniCron. I just wanna say those new logos really are great.

I didn't want to push the issue, but I didn't like the previous ones at all, the font you had used, and the rounded corners on the text boxes, looked too much like Grand Theft Auto to me. Dunno if anyone else agrees, but I couldn't look at them without thinking GTA.

But those new icons, they are funny, the yare smart (I think black-n-white is good for them), and they deliver a clear message. If they need to be elaborated on, I don't know. I think the Zero and Very are fine, but the Some tag might need to be expanded on (eg/ is it some violence, or some swearing, etc).

I'll leave that one up to you!

P.S. I almost want to make an adults only game just as an excuse to slap that Very logo on my website!

Edit:

Ah, there is one issue. I shrunk them down to 25% to try them out on my site, and the text ends up reading:

Zero
    Content

Some
    Content

Very
    Content

:p

#43 botman, Jul 10, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  4. soniCron

Indie Author

Yes, I've been thinking of somehow showing more detail about the rating without mucking up the design. The best I've come up with so far is having more detail become visible with a mouseover, but I'm not thrilled about that idea. Nothing I've come up with yet has really struck me. It'll come to me eventually.

As far as the old design looking ugly: I KNOW!! :D I don't know what I was thinking! I tell ya, doing everything in its entirety yesterday over 23 no-break hours was a bad, bad, BAD idea! Ah well. You live and you learn. ;) I know better now!

5. soniCron

Indie Author

:) Yes, I am aware of this issue. I'm toying around with some ideas, but it seems they are still quite readable, without being misleading, at around 64x101 pixels. (I'll be recommending 81x128.) If there is much need to go smaller than that, I'd appreciate the feedback. I'm fooling with the text sizes, but the funny thing is, this is, by far, the most attractive. If people are that worried about it, I can change it. But I can't imagine people needing it much smaller than 64x101. Except you, apparently. ;)

6. soniCron

Indie Author

And one last thing: SHAME ON YOU FOR NOT SPEAKING UP! ;) I expect honest feedback from as many people as have opinions and feel like sharing them. That includes you! :D

7. botman

Original Member

Hehe. Umm, I don't like rollover either. I'd like something that works in print as well.

Now just to ramble for a bit. In the manual of Playstation 2 games here (and I'm sure other games), there is always an explanation of some European game rating system, that uses icons. For example, a needle for drug references, etc.

The weird thing though, is, every time I've seen the explanation, I've never actually been able to find the games rating, anywhere. I mean the spend a page explaining the thing, and then they don't even seem to use it. You would expect it to be on the back of the box or something, but I've never found it.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, enlighten me!

8. botman

Original Member

Sorry for the double post, but, ahem! Last post :p

9. soniCron

Indie Author

Touché! I found that right after I hit send. I was like, "Someone said that, I wonder if it was him..." and it was! :)

10. botman

Original Member

11. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Clearly the text needs some work... Apart from not working too well when scaled, I also don't think that the "Zero Objectionable Content" one should say it like that. It should phrase it positively, like "Family Safe" or something. "Some Objectionable Content" sounds a bit vague. And "Very Objectionable Content" sounds... wrong, somehow.

But I like the idea of using smileys. Although I don't really like the way they get all warped as the content becomes more objectionable. What if the smileys stayed a little more pure... more like the standard :) :-/ >:) or at least didn't go quite so over the top...

And I also think that reinstating the colour coding would help.

12. DanDanger

Original Member

What an interesting thread,

Ill chuck my tuppence worth in if its okay:

Love the three icons, I like the idea of three faces showing a reaction to the content of the game. Maybe the middle icon might benefit from being more "wide eyed" than frowning?

The text is pretty bad though "Very Objectional Content", I would never put that on anything I was trying to sell. How about using the word "Adult" instead of objectionable? So you might have something like "zero adult content", "some adult content" and ""adult content".

13. Raptisoft

Indie Author

Dudes and Dudettes, there's just no way to get away from the succinctness that is Kids, Teens, Adult. The real problem with that though is that "Teens" is insanely non-specific. "Kid Safe" and "Adult" work great, you just need a good word for the inbetween.

And I like the icons too... though they could be a little less expressive, more iconic, methinks.

Edit: "zero adult content", "some adult content" and ""adult content"... I don't like these because they're "negative" toward the people who need the rating system the most. Games shouldn't be rated with ADULT CONTENT being "standard" and kid safe stuff holding the modifier. The base level of a game should be "kid safe" with modifiers piled on top of it. Am I alone in thinking this? Adults don't care about ratings for themselves, but putting "Zero Adult Content" on a kid game already raises red flags just because the word "ADULT CONTENT XXX" appears there.

Edit again: Just musing here, but what about:

FAMILY - safe for everyone
    TEEN - references adult themes without depicting them (this is like the Papillion clause)
    ADULT - depicts adult themes

#53 Raptisoft, Jul 10, 2005
  14. botman

Original Member

Clearly how expressive the icons should be is a matter of opinion, reading what other people have written. :p

But I think Raptisoft's idea is good. Just Family, Teen, and Adult.

15. Abscissa

Original Member

I don't like that. It leads us right back to the problem of age, which is this: Exactly what constitutes an "adult theme" is region-specific. In much of Europe, it may include violence and strong depictions of sex, but in the US it will be taken as almost anything sexual, or even just nude or topless, and irrelevant to the concept violence.

#55 Abscissa, Jul 10, 2005
  16. Rainer Deyke

Indie Author

Personally I don't like the new icon system. Just saying that some content may be objectionable without elaborating in what is objectionable about it is useless in my mind, because different people find different things objectionable. For example, I wouldn't try to shield my kids (if I had any) from nudity or language, which are totally non-offensive in my mind. I also don't like the way the middle icon looks at all. I liked the 0-5 number system, although personally I would have used numbers instead of words (maybe "none", "mild", "moderate", "strong", and "extreme", although that's just five levels).

17. soniCron

Indie Author

Maybe I didn't mention that this is only the iconographic portion of the rating. I'm still figuring out how to add on the rating system and descriptors. But they'll all be there.

18. Drake

Indie Author

No, you are not alone. I too would be very reluctant to put the words "sex" and "violence" anywhere on a page promoting an all-ages game. It creates an unnecessary mental association, I think.

SoniCron, if a game's content in a given category equates to none, why not just omit that line? If all categories = none, then maybe you could write something like "suitable for all ages" instead.

Edit: I may be looking at a system that's already defunct. You seem to have something like this going on....

19. soniCron

Indie Author

The old design already does that: Example

Of course, now I'm coming up with a more attractive method of showing that. ;)

20. Drake

Indie Author

Sorry, I was looking at this page. Things are changing so fast!