Experiences in buying production software in eBay?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by JarkkoL, Jul 16, 2009.

1. JarkkoL

JarkkoL New Member

Hello Comrades,

I would like to hear what kind of experiences you have had buying production software (Photoshop, 3DS Max, Maya, MSVC, etc.) in eBay. I have never bought anything from eBay and while looking for cheap prices I found out that you could buy some rather expensive software much cheaper from eBay than advertised in many other places (e.g. Photoshop CS4 that's advertised at around 1000e in Adobe website you can have deals ~300e in eBay).

Now, as a buyer I'm obviously worried that when buying software I might get some pirated DVD in post, or nothing at all. In those cases I believe I would be eligible to get my money back from PayPal, or is it that simple or would I have to go through some incredible hoops and finally just give up instead of just emailing to PayPal "I never got the product I bought from X, can I get my money back, thanks!"? So am I really protected from frauds by PayPal or is it just illusion they are advertising for customer protection? :) I have never had to go through the refunding process with PayPal either so if you have experiences, I would appreciate if you could share them.

Thanks, Jarkko

2. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Not sure if paying with a credit card via PayPal would help? If you get counterfeit goods, you may be in a better position to get your money back having paid with a credit card. I'm not so sure PayPal would be too much help, but maybe the credit card company would be..

Dunno what anyone else thinks?

3. Scharlo

Original Member

Here is my experience with Adobe products on Ebay.

Photoshop (9, CS, CS2) - bought 9 copies in total, 5 of those were fake (good quality print on CD, one even with the manual but still fake), 4 were good. They were all in the same price range. All from the different sellers.

After Effects - bought 2 copies, both unpacked originals

Flash Pro - bought 2 copies, one was total fake.

Rule of thumb; if the software is less than 75% of the original price it is most likely something was wrong with it.

4. Junkyard Sam

Junkyard Sam New Member

Are you sure the licenses are transferable? Be sure to check the fine print of the software maker if you want to be legit. You don't want to end up with software that can't be upgraded.

If you're going that route I'd advise only buying from sellers with proper feedback, and feedback that specifically answers your concerns.

5. JarkkoL

JarkkoL New Member

Thanks for the replies!

Jamie, PayPal at least advertises buyer protection through eBay, which seems to protect you from fakes (SNAD) and non-received goods (INR), but I would like to know if anyone has experience that this actually works in practice without wasting days fighting for your money.

Scharlo, did you use PayPal for the payment and did you open a disbute / got your money back for the fakes?

Junkyeard Sam, I'm not sure in case of 3DS Max at least since I read somewhere that it might not be transferrable, but someone was saying that it should be transferrable in Finland, so I don't know. It seems to be rare to see used 3DS Max in eBay anyway, and I have thought of going with Modo for 3D instead which cost "only" ~700e as new from Luxology website. Many software I have check is said to be factory sealed/wrapped, so those should be new (otherwise they would be SNAD) and shouldn't have any licensing issues assuming they are legit copies.

6. Sybixsus

Original Member

I don't have any experience buying software, but I have experience buying fakes and getting screwed by EBay.

PayPal buyer protection is worthless. When I issued a complaint about being sold a fake item for an item purchased on Ebay and paid for through Paypal, they refused to do anything without written evidence from an expert, which I did manage to get, and then when they did take action, they did nothing to the seller (who - purely by coincidence, I'm sure) has an EBay Shop, and charged me with non-payment despite the fact that I could produce a PayPal transaction number which proved I'd paid for it. There's no polite way to say it. EBay/PayPal are complicit with the fake sellers. They know who is doing it, but it makes them far too much money so they just penalize the people who get taken instead. Because they weren't coming back anyway, were they?

7. Qitsune

Qitsune New Member

I bought PainterX, real, unopened, for 40$. I registered it, everything was fine. That's the only experience I have with Ebay.