Exodus (metroidvania indie game)

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Gurvy-Galhmac, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Gurvy-Galhmac

Gurvy-Galhmac New Member

Hi all !

First of all, sorry for my bad english

Introduction

I work for Galhmac Game, a french indie game dev, on our first production : Exodus.
    We're are 3 guys working hard for this particular game.

Exodus is a 2D Plateform/Exploration (metroidvania) game for Windows, with oldschool gameplay mechanics, and HD native resolution (1920*1200). Musics are made by Yann Van Der Cruyssen (Saira, Block That Matter).

In Exodus, you take control of Zoulux or Ly'Sax, and go to discover a stange and vaste world. Their unique abilitie is to absorb Vital Energy from the fauna, or by exploring the world. With this, they'll be able to evolve differents skills (like double jump, more strengh, dash, etc), that changes the gameplay directly.

Here is some screenshots of the actual alpha build :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We released an alpha version of Exodus !

You can download and test it here : (1Go file, EN/FR language)

If you're an ATI user, you'll not be able to launch the game actually. But you can use this temporary Dll Fix (just place it in /BIN/RELEASE) :

This could help, but not perfect. (really sorry for that, an incompatibility with sfml 1.6, or something like that, an update will coming soon). If the game encounter big lag with this dll fix, try to turn OFF the HD mode in the options, or play in windows mode.

To finish this post, you can found a gameplay footage of Exodus here :

Hope you'll give us a chance by trying it a little, and send us Feedbacks and comments, its really important to us.

Thanks for you're time !

#1 Gurvy-Galhmac, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Interesting video - the sloping background reminds me of a game from the 90's that was done by Realtime Associates (Skuljagger maybe). The main character is nicely animated as he moves about but the interactions with the orange blowfish didn't look as polished. The map that you keep zooming out to doesn't tie back to the game for me.

3. ViridianGames

ViridianGames New Member

Interesting. I'm getting a real Oddworld feel from it due to the sneaking and jumping animations being similar to Abe's. Also, it's called Exodus :)

I don't know if sneaking everywhere would be a good mechanic for a Metroidvania, though. It would really slow down the gameplay, which isn't so bad in a level-based game but could be here.

4. GetLastError

GetLastError New Member

I can easily see how players lose track of time while playing it :)
    I really love the soundtrack.

I think you should improve the animation / transitions of the character.

What is the goal in the game?

What about collecting coins? powerups? using special abilities? etc...

5. Gurvy-Galhmac

Gurvy-Galhmac New Member

Hi all.

Thank for your comments.

In fact, the sneaking mechanics is just for a few monsters or some trap. Its not an obligation ^^

Its an alpha, so a lot of animation transitions and other stuff are missing.

We mess up with the tutorial part (and the dialogue too), we integrated it at the last moment for this alpha version, and it's so confusing ^^
    The intro video is not present (for more understanding about the context of the game), tutorial and dialogues will be completely revamp for release.

I think you miss some stuff about the game system. The blue/red/green dots you can find in the world will allow you to evoluate or enable news skills (like double jump, dash, etc...) you can find the skills tree in the Subsystem Menu (TAB)

To see more about the game if you encounter difficulty to play it correctcly, here it is a full Playthrough to the Boss present in alpja, with some evolution.

We will show you the real good things that are coming for release !

Thanks again !

#5 Gurvy-Galhmac, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  6. GetLastError

GetLastError New Member

Looks great really.

The third movie at 1:43 - never mislead the user this way... don't put coins over spikes if the user can't see the spikes. The game should lead the user to make right decisions not wrong decisions.
    The movement is a bit problematic in my opinion, I'd advance the physics engine a bit faster if that's possible by a factor of 1.5.

7. dillweeds

dillweeds New Member

Absolutely beautiful. That's a hell of a lot more than just a metroidvania game.

It's not really my type of game, but even I will buy and play it. Great job.

8. Gurvy-Galhmac

Gurvy-Galhmac New Member

A little update :

Exodus is now on Indiegogo for a 45 days campaign :

Exodus Indiegogo Campaign

Please support the dev, share the news with your friends [face_tongue]

Thanks for your time !

9. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Looks really nice!

10. Teq

Teq
    Original Member

I love the animation and generally think the level design is good if not always memorable. I have to agree with GetLastError though, these kinds of game can be frustrating at times and to fool your players into potential death isn't going to go down well.

11. Gurvy-Galhmac

Gurvy-Galhmac New Member

Hi all !

A 'big' update with 28 visuals showing some new environments you'll discovers in Exodus !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click here to see more new screens !

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.528250610533734.141301.456846774340785&type=1

We're making lot of effort to create and polishing background, hope you'll like them !

Also, we put Exodus on Steam Greenlight hoping for more visibility. If you want to support the game, please vote for it here :

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93097558

Thank you for your time !