Exercising after long period of not

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by GBGames, Jun 16, 2006.

1. GBGames

Indie Author

I definitely need to go for a physical. I haven't had one since I was on the high school soccer team, I think.

2. spellcaster

Original Member

In my "good days" I had around 10% body fat with 80kg at 176cm body height. Yesterday I realized that I'm fat now. ;)

After thinking about it, I realized that I wasn't doing any phyisical activities to speak of for 1.5 years.

And while I can still do around 30 push-ups (used to do 200/day while still practicing) I realized that I have no endurance to speak of.

So, I started to create a trainigplan for myself. Which I am to embarresed to mention because the first 2 month focus on exercises I wouldn't have considered "exercises" before I realized how bad my shape is at the moment.

What amazes me most is that I didn't realize how out of shape I am. I guess I was so used to "be in shape" that the mirror wasn't able to question the self-image I had ... :)

3. dmikesell

Original Member

No offense, but that's like recommending the English Channel to someone who gets tired after dog-paddling for 45 seconds. BTW, how is Ultimate in Chicago? I imagine you get a lot of long points when the wind picks up...

4. dmikesell

Original Member

Just hit 40. Years of Ultimate and pickup basketball have put a hurtin' on my knees and ankles. It wasn't uncommon for me a few years back to come home from an Ultimate game and have 3-4 icebags strategically positioned on my aging joints.

5. Pyabo

Original Member

Oh I don't play in Chicago... just giving GBGames the link local to him. I love playing Zone, so I'd probably like Chicago Ultimate.

I highly disagree that recommending Ultimate is like recommending the English Channel for a non-swimmer! I don't know what it's like in your neck of the woods, but here in Seattle we have "hat" leagues every spring and summer that are very friendly to newbies, less competitive, and less physically demanding. I certainly wasn't in very good shape when I started playing, but it didn't take me long to get my lungs. I still don't play in the A leagues, but I have plenty of fun and I'm in much better shape.

6. WreckerOne

Original Member

During the first couple workouts after a period of inactivity your heart rate can be elevated during exercise, so its easier to run out of breath because you're above the 'cardio' zone and into the breathing hard zone.

7. GBGames

Indie Author

This past week, someone had a soccer ball at work, and at lunch we've been going to the company gym and kicking it around.

I discovered that not playing soccer for almost 8 years means I need to practice a lot just to control the ball the way I used to be able to.

I also have really sore legs, sides, and back. B-)

On the plus side, I finally lost that pound or two to get to 174 lbs. A few more sessions of keep-away with me in the middle should get me in shape yet!

8. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Deep breathing just on it's own is very important training, it will prepare you for all other exercise.

9. Pyabo

Original Member

Hmmmm... OK, I'll bite... what exactly are you talking about here?

GBGames, how are you feeling now, almost a month after the original post?

10. KNau

Original Member

I imagine he's talking about how deep breathing exercises (like the old inhale for 4 count, hold for 16 count, exhale for 8 count) can increase your lung capacity with time. It's also a great recovery / relaxational tool after a heavy workout.

11. GBGames

Indie Author

I definitely feel better, although I'll admit that I don't run as much as I would like. I notice that I get out of breath rather quickly, though. While playing volleyball with some friends, I noticed that I was breathing a little bit hard, and all I did was move rather quickly from my spot to help someone else out in her spot.

When playing soccer with some coworkers at my day job, I was breathing very hard. It was a small room, and so it was like playing indoor soccer: a lot of sprinting. I hadn't done a lot of sprinting before I was breathing very hard.

I guess I'm just that much more out of shape than I thought. I've been working on making a regular schedule, though, and it should help me to see progress towards becoming the athlete I used to be.

And maybe it will also help me get my footy skills back. B-)

12. GBGames

Indie Author

After leaving my day job yesterday, I ran and walked home. That is, I ran for quite a bit, and when I didn't think I could take it anymore, I walked until I caught my breath, then ran again, walked, ran, walked, sprinted, and walked.

I felt awesomes.

Keep in mind that when I did it the first time, I ran for that first part, then walked most of the way home breathing hard. I guess my body is remembering how to breathe.

13. Grey Alien

Indie Author

KNau pretty much answered it. Increased lung capacity happens quite quickly and has a handy side effect of giving you a bigger chest. But the main thing is you lungs can a) take in more oxygen, and b) "process" the air more efficiently. This means that you can train for longer, avoid cramp, don't get as tired or faint, build more stength etc. Plus also from an Eastern martial arts point fo view it's important for building Chi/Ki and releasing it too.

14. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

This is an excellent subject; and it's quite good and apporpriate (I feel) for indie game developers to take a keen interest in phsical well-being.

Game development, like any programming job, is mostly a mental activity, and taking care of your phyical (i.e. body) is a really good idea, it compliments the mental stuff.

Glad you're feeling awesome GBGames! Hope the positive feeling spills over in to your work.

:)

Loads of fun physical sports and activities to choose from too; tai-chi, salsa (defo recommend this one), running, sky-diving, you name it! Go for it!

:eek:

15. GBGames

Indie Author

Actually, I have been more productive with my projects, and sleep is a lot better, too.

A coworker at my day job suggested sprints as a way to build up endurance. Once I get through this crunch-that's-not-really-a-crunch I am in, I will probably take a few lunches in the gym and sprint back and forth on the basketball half-court.

I get nervous just thinking about being on roller coasters. Sky diving frightens me to the point that I can't even logically think about why it scares me. Which means one day I will end up doing it, be really scared up until the moment I jump, and while I am falling, I will think, "Hey, this isn't actually so bad".

See?! I am getting sweaty hands just thinking about it!

Salsa, on the other hand, sounds really good. I'll probably get sweaty for a different kind of fear. B-)

16. yanuart

Original Member

nice discussion on how to get in shape :) Any ideas on how to get rid of this beer belly ?

17. GBGames

Indie Author

I was told a long time ago (on these forums, I believe) that you just need to start moving, no matter how slow your progress. Making progress is much more important than not.

So run out your front door and go until you get to a lamp post or sign or some other marker. Then the next day, try to go a little farther. Doing these actions, as opposed to deciding not to do them because they are either "too hard" or "too little", will eventually get you there.

Also, my diet since last summer has changed to include a lot more fiber and less fat. There is a diet called the Zone diet, and while I don't follow it exactly, the basic rule is 30 grams of fiber, 20 grams of fat per day. Anything that is fat free and doesn't have fiber in it counts as either 1 gram of fat, so fat free sweets aren't a way to cheat.

Basically, more fruits and vegetables, less meat, and you'll see results within weeks, supposedly even if you don't change your exercise routine.

But once you get your body used to moving about, I was told that sprints are a good way to build endurance, and getting your heartbeat up for 30 minutes a day for at least three days a week is supposed to be really good for you. I'd aim for that schedule, and once you hit that, you can decide whether or not to go for more.

Since last summer, I've lost 20 pounds. My stomach and face are noticeably thinner, although my stomach still looks a bit pudgy. I might start doing situps or crunches to get some tone. In fact, I might start doing push-ups and jumping jacks as well, just like gym class warm-ups when I was in school.

18. Grey Alien

Indie Author

well, uh, stop drinking beer :) And eating bad snacks.

I'd also recommend martial arts. Now if you don't fancy being punched in the face, try Aikido. I've been doing it for 9 years now 5+ hours a week and it teaches mental and physical dicipline amongst other cool things.

Healthy Body = Healthy Mind

Before sitting down at your computer in the morning, stand up and do deep breathing for 5 mins, you'll feel much more alive. Also a good morning eating routine is:

1) luke warm water as soon as you wake (not cold water)
    2) 30 mins later a piece of fruit
    3) 30 mins later some carbohydrate like porridge or museli.

The water helps detox, the fruit gives you vitamins and digests properly before you eat the energy filled carbs.

19. Cyruz

Cyruz New Member

Awesome. This thread is just what I need.

As I was reading I tried just doing deep breathing for a bit and that alone made me feel noticeably better. ^_^

20. GBGames

Indie Author

Now this is interesting as I've heard that ice cold water is healthier, but only marginally. Why luke-warm?