.EXE to .SWF?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by papastiffy, Jul 13, 2008.

1. papastiffy

papastiffy New Member

Hi, just a really quick question that I can't seem to find an answer to on the internet nor on this forum.

I've been searching for any signs of life in a workable .exe to .swf converter for the past several days. I'm not entirely sure somthing like this even exists, but as you can imagine, downloads tend to scare the casual gamers away and buying flash (699??) is a bit expensive.

I would like to be able to simply code in one of my native languages, and then embed that code for .swf play on my website, if that's possible of course...

Thanks in advance :)

2. Backov

Original Member

It's not. Unless you know a genie.

3. defanual

Original Member

Don't think so...

Nope, not that I know of. I remember looking for such a tool a few months (and years) back too out of desperation and hope more than expectation before taking the plunge and getting flash (via adobe cs en suite).:p

If you can't afford the official (and best in my opinion) adobe flash there are alternatives. Search these forums and google with terms such as flash software, create flash flash, actionscript 3 dev tools etc. I recommend you get one that is actionscript 3 (which is sweet!) enabled at the least of which there are a small few (perhaps there is more now?).

If you've developed previously in a c/torquescript/java like environment, the transition to actionscript 3 is pretty easy. It took me about 30-45 days to get to classes/OOP level, even quicker coding via the timeline. It will probably take a little bit longer otherwise, but well worth it in my opinion as the skill is transferable to other languages such as the above mentioned and things like PHP which will give you more power, options and connectivity in future for your products and their delivery!

4. Nexic

Indie Author

If such a thing existed most people wouldn't make anything in Flash.

5. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

You could try Flex. It's much cheaper than Flash ($250, if I remember correctly), has a 60-day free trial, and works well for most types of games. It's also based on ActionScript, so it compiles to SWF and plays in Flash Player just as Flash does.

6. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Or SwishMax. It's (mostly) Actionscript 2, but it's pretty decent.

7. papastiffy

papastiffy New Member

Wow, thanks a lot guys.

@defanual-
    I've had some experience in OOP programming and some java, so the switch shouldn't be too challenging. Also, thanks for the alternatives. It's not that flash is out of my price range, I was just hoping for an easier way than dishing out $699 without finding some decent alternatives first.

@AlexWeldon and Reactor-
    Thanks for the other choices as well, I will certainly check them out tonight when I get some free time and let you know what i think!

If none of these fit what I'm looking for, I will most likely purchase CS3.. :( so lets hope they work!

Thanks again! :)

8. Backov

Original Member

I will second Alex's recommendation of Flex - for a traditional programmer (as opposed to designer) Flex is perfect. Hell, it's damn awesome.

The only thing I find I need Flash for (and I don't really need it, it's just easier) is doing custom visual elements. You can do that in Flex as well, but it's not as easy.

9. defanual

Original Member

Your welcome papastiffy:)

Regarding Flex, I was one of those people that didn't really get it as I thought it was a flash clone that worked on desktops but had no visual/design/animation elements like flash.

After hearing so many recommendations (in this thread and others) about Flex, I think it's time for me to take another (closer) look;)

EDIT:
    What version of Flex do you guys have (standard/pro)?

#9 defanual, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  10. ChrisP

Indie Author

Personally, I just downloaded the free command-line compiler. Don't need no stinkin' IDEs, a text editor will do me just fine... ;)

Not that I've made anything in Flex besides small unfinished experiments, just to get the feel of the system.

11. defanual

Original Member

Thanks for sharing. Being a programmer I know where your coming from (or maybe your just cheap!:D **joking!), but after experiencing development in flash, man the wysiwyg/IDE saves a lot of time and I'm a bit sucker for a sweet timesaving IDE's:p

12. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

I got the regular version of Flex Builder. I don't even use most of its features, so I doubt I'd get enough benefit from the Pro version to be worth it. Maybe when I'm more experienced.

Flex is not Flash for desktops. You're thinking of Adobe AIR, which can turn ActionScript code into desktop apps. Flex is to Flash as journalism is to poetry, say... same language at the root, but different look and feel, used by different people, and intended for different tasks.

(P.S. God damn it, defanual: "your" is the possessive adjective, "you're" is the contraction for "you are"... how come everyone on this forum can spell, capitalize and punctuate sentences reasonably well, except for that one friggin' word?)

13. papastiffy

papastiffy New Member

Very poetic and well written, but I'm not quite sure I get the meaning... :confused:

Do you mean it's simply a code editor (such as DarkBasic or Blitz) where you simply load your art/animations? If that's true, then I'm already there! :D

14. Backov

Original Member

No, it's a plugin set based on Eclipse, which is a very capable IDE.

What it adds to Eclipse is a very, very nice GUI editor which generates MXML, which is what flex apps are made of.. A whole set of widgets that go into that MXML and the whole support suite. Debugging, profiling (in the pro version), etc..

It's hard to explain.. It's got a 60 day trial, just download it and take a look.

15. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

Flex looks kind of like this:

<mx:Application (a bunch of stuff here) />

<mx:Button id="myFirstButton" label="CLICK HERE GODDAMIT!" width="100" x="20" y="20" click="someFunction();" />

<mx:Script>
    <![CDATA[
    var my_variable:int = 10;

public function someFunction():void {
    // ActionScript code
    }
    ]]>
    </mx:Script>

</mx:Application>

-------

So you have a bunch of MXML components for your GUI, which makes that part really easy... but you do all your real programming in ActionScript (which doesn't feel that different from stuff like Java, at least to me) inside the <mx:Script> tags.

16. papastiffy

papastiffy New Member

Ahh, I see. The format looks similar to GML with some DBP sprinkled in, which is good because I'm fluent in both... :D

I'll definatly be downloading the trial version of Flex to test out, it seems relatively simple.

@Alex and Backov-
    Thanks! ;)

17. GirlFlash

GirlFlash New Member

18. Davaris

Original Member

19. defanual

Original Member

I'll be more FLEXible momentarily...

Sorry Alex, I'll try to remember that in future, I also have to confess that the firefox spell checker plugin has changed my life as far as spelling is concerned so I can't take all the credit there:p Thanks for the original explanation too!

Ok, so I've just ordered Flex Builder (Standard edition) and I'm now just waiting for it to arrive (my trial ran out as I just kinda un-installed it after about a few minutes of installing, and that was about 3 months ago).

At the moment I'm interested in using it with php to do some web stuff. I think adobe's site (along with coldfusion) is powered with it (similar looking gui elements) but I could be wrong. In any case after all the recommendations and checking out the features/videos and sites (some of which I'm assuming) using it, not to mention already knowing actionscript 3, I decided to take the punt. I think it should be a good investment, because I can't seen version 4+ (or cs4) being 64 -165 quid if you know what I mean;)

So once it arrives, I'll be officially part of the club, so when is the flex initiation ceremony again guys?

#19 defanual, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  20. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

Yeah... that's the horror of machine proofreading. Once upon a time, everyone knew how to spell the easy words, but screwed up stuff like "millennium," "chrysanthemum," or "subpoena." Now everyone gets those right, because they don't have any homonyms, but you see otherwise intelligent people mixing up some of the most common words in the language, like "there/they're/their."

So, essentially, all we've done is traded occasional, understandable mistakes for frequent, inexcusable ones.