Exciting games

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Anthony Flack, Apr 10, 2006.

1. RWgames

Original Member

I have the same opinion as the OP (as well as some others) in that the casual market is becoming like the AAA market where if there's a hit, then there will be clones-a-plenty. However, I can see why this occurs. For AAA games, it costs millions of pounds to make and so publishers dont want to take the risk. For indie developers, it's a similar thing in that they need a source of income that they can rely on (be it their primary income or secondary). For this reason, everyone's less likely to take a risk in producing an "unorthodox" game. I myself, am working on a game which hasnt been done AFAIK very often, and hopefully will be a hit. It's not really aimed at the casual market directly, but there are certain parts which may make it appeal to casual gamers (I dont want to give away too much at this point). I'm currently at uni so I don't have to worry about a lot of things other indie developers have to worry about such as the mortgage, so the risk for me is lower. Personally, I believe that if you can afford to take the risk, then you should because although it could be a flop, it may well be a very big hit. This way, the market would start to become more diverse like it once was, and although more clones will come about, it will still increase the variety of games available.
    Just my opinion :)

2. mahlzeit

Original Member

Markets are created by people who don't know if what they're making will sell, but they try anyway. That's the only way to find out. ;) If you already know if something will sell, then everyone else will already know too and you still won't sell anything because the competition is faster/better/richer than you.

3. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Try telling that to the bank manager.

"Can I have a loan to fund the development of my new game please?
    "How many units do you expect to sell?"
    "Sell? I'm not even sure if I'll sell one."
    "Close the door on your way out."

4. Bmc

Bmc New Member

copying success is nothing new, and it is hardly exclusive to casual games.

ps - I like how the word "clone" becomes "variant" when the game appeals to you.

5. Andy

Original Member

Yeah. And I like how they use "casual" and "indie" as opposites in another thread here. :)

6. KNau

Original Member

Perhaps that's my issue with cloning - that it's "selling out" on such a small scale.

Mainstream game devs sell out for millions if not tens of millions of dollars. Indie developers are selling out for the same salary my cousin makes as a car parts welder - and indie devs don't even get a fat pension or benefits package!

Indie games I've gotten positively randy over -

Red Ace Squadron by Small Rockets (and there's a new one coming soon!)
    Laser Squad Nemesis by Codotech (I think)
    Cosmo Bots / Water Bugs by Retro64, of course!
    Alien Shooter by Sigma Team
    Air Strike 2 by Divo Games
    Inspector Parker (the first one, the sequel blows) (by ?)
    Star Wraith 3 and Rift Space by Starwraith 3D Games
    Starscape (still the best production values of any indie game I've seen), by Moonpod
    Outpost Kaloki by Ninja Bee
    Pax Galaxia by Dio Games
    Combat Mission Barbarosa to Berlin by Battlefront (I think)

I don't mind casual games as long as they pose a good puzzle challenge and not just mindless clicking. But mostly I love strategy and action games.

And special "BEST GAME EVAR!" award goes to:
    Survival Crisis Z by Totally Screwed. I know everyone gravitates towards Zombie Smashers but this game comes the closest I've ever seen to putting you in the middle of a Dawn of the Dead scenario. A lot of action, gore and a little open ended RPG too. I'm a zombie nut and I ate it up!

7. Speckled Jim

Original Member

I was referring to cloning, not creating something original. I wouldn't personally try a match 3 clone precisely because there are so many out there. It hardly seems worth the effort, unless you are reasonably sure your version has that something extra to make it stand out from the herd.

8. C.S.Brewer

Original Member

hmmm I might do the same, I really want to play shadow of the colosus
    Anthony, You'll like Resident Evil 4 I think. it's great, I'm in the middle of it right now.

for exciting casual/free
    I've been playing Doukutsu lately. Lots of love was put into it, you can tell.

9. Christian

Original Member

I play mount&blade when i have time, its pretty exiting game, it also has a lot of mods, although its not finished yet.

10. electronicStar

Original Member

I like where this thread is going :rolleyes: .

Anyway It's very interesting that an established develloper with a great reputation such as anthony Flack expresses the same feeling I have been having while looking at the state of indie games for the last couple of years (except I am still just a wannabe). Unfortunately the game I develloping is taking a lot of time to come to existence because I had to devellop a casual-oriented framework from scratch, and also because I am creating TONS of content for this game.

He mentioned PS2 games but it is no surprise that these game are at this moment the top of the art form. There's a lot of money flowing in the console games market and the japanese companies are investing in the right areas. You can like the japanese style or not(and they also have a lot of cloning going on) but you have to reckon they have the most innovative and fun games right now. They really invest in new gameplay concepts (look at nintendo's new consoles) and the art department is always top-notch.

IMO it's not a problem of cloning or market target. It's a problem of investment. Most indie devellopers just want a quick money return with the minimum time/money spent in the story/art/gameplay departments.
    Maybe the indie devs should start cloning succesful contemporary console games instead of either cloning each other or scourring the lists of old arcade games to find their inspiration (recently I noticed a new casual game that seemed to be a rip-off of....POO YAN!)

[edit] My latest interesting indie game: X-OP a kickass shoot em up (sorry it's not a very original game either :) )and Rage of mages (but it's still in devellopment)

11. simonh

Indie Author

It does have something interesting, it has Live Arcade, the most interesting thing to happen to consoles for a long while. I've spent more time playing Geometry Wars 2 and Bankshot Billiards 2 than I have the DVD games.

12. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Likewise, in reverse, with me and Shadow of the Collossus. Just don't go in expecting a traditional action game, it's more like a magical experience. Man, those collossi...

I'd have gotten Resident Evil 4 already, but my PS2 isn't chipped yet, which means I'd have to play it in Japanese (stupid Sony; their region-protection is stopping me from buying more games). And I figure it's one of those games that are better played in a language you can understand. Ditto for Psychonauts.

I really must get around to playing Strange Adventures in Infinite Space. I've been meaning to for ages; it sounds really interesting.

As for the cloning thing, in some ways it's not even that that's boring me. But for example, think of your favouritest game of all time. Whatever it is that you love the most about that game, chances are it's that same thing that makes somebody else hate it.

But you aren't going to love the game so much that you buy more than one copy. So if the designers could remove that thing you loved about it without making you completely lose interest altogether, they'd probably sell more copies. This is why the casual game themes are so watered-down (um, quite often literally). It's not because people absolutely love Atlantis. It's because huge numbers of people find it reasonably pleasant.

13. soniCron

Indie Author

You'd have to staple my eyelids open to get me to watch Sense and Sensibility, but I woudln't call it reasonably pleasant. This is the first time we've seen a segment of the gaming market veer so wildly off course from the mainstream that almost all core gamers despise it. But that doesn't mean the games aren't good. There are many examples of excellently produced titles in the casual game space, but their target and purpose is so different from what you're used to, it's no surprise you can't appreciate it.

What casual players are looking for are "activities," not "games" as we know them. The challenge isn't attractive to them -- it's the activity itself that appeals. Because of this fundamental divide, it's to be expected many people who are advocates of mainstream gaming would have trouble finding the appeal of casual "games." But that's only a perceptual difference -- if casual players felt the same way, they wouldn't be pumping so much money into them. Many somebodies are finding the casual game space more than "reasonably pleasant," and that's apparent in the field's fast growth.

14. Savant

Original Member

Honestly, I'm not spending $400 to play a glowy arcade shooter with vector art, no matter how fun it is. I'll get a 360 probably next year some time but for right now it's offering me nothing that my PC can't do.

15. astrospoon

Original Member

Warning: Explicit

unexciting? you obviously haven't been following THIS game....

http://www.elballo.com/ [Warning: Explicit]

lol. Wow. im speechless....

#35 astrospoon, Apr 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2006
  16. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

I've found myself playing Rainbow Web lately, almost beat the entire full version. What's this? I must be going to the dark side ;) Absolutely love the music in it!

Master of Defense rocked my world for a few days. Loved Star Defender 2 for a while but hit big unpleasant brick wall in full version levels so stopped, much like in Platypus.

17. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

FreeCell and Mindsweeper are the shizzle.

But seriously, Titan Attacks has been making me smile a lot lately.

18. d000hg

Original Member

19. Speckled Jim

Original Member

Of course you probably wouldn't buy it just for that, but assuming you have a reason to buy it, then it would be almost criminal not to spend the $5 for Geometry Wars.

You can play a couple of poor substitutes on the pc, but that's all they are.

#39 Speckled Jim, Apr 11, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  20. berserker

Indie Author

What about Kameo : Elements of Power ?
    ________
    SEXY GIRLS

#40 berserker, Apr 11, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011