Everybody avoid Bluesnap (ex Plimus) at all costs

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Indinera, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

A friend of mine did ONE sale in the month and got charged $75 as maintenance fees for it. They LOST money. Plimus at least was decent. Bluesnap deserves to die by fire and nobody should ever EVER make business with them. Spread the news as far as you can reach. Let everyone associate Bluesnap and worst company ever.

#1 Indinera, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  2. ManuTOO

Original Member

Hello,

I guess you mean that : http://www.bluesnap.com/ecommerce/legal/dormant-account-fee ; it was put in place 2 years ago by Plimus, and yup, it sucks big time for occasional sellers ; these should go to Paypal instead, as it's much cheaper in all cases and they (still) don't charge for dormant account.

On a side note : Skrill (ex Moneybookers) also charge for dormant account.

3. Shaz

Moderator Original Member

No, that is not it. I can't find it on the site, but if a developer sells less than some amount in a month ($5000?), there's a $75 fee.

4. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

They charged $75 to process 1 (one!!!) sale in the whole month. The person earned about $20 (let's round it up) and lost $75 meaning they lost $55 for selling one game.
    Un-BE-LIE-VA-BLE. Bluesnap should be forbidden to do any business whatsoever. Pick BMTmicro, never ever use Bluesnap for your online business.

5. ManuTOO

Original Member

Shaz,
    I checked my payment report (got significantly less than $5000 ;) ), and there's no such fee whatsoever.
    What is its exact label ?

It's not that I'm against flaming Plimus/Bluesnap (hello password renewal, extravagant foreign currency exchange rate, non refundable fee, aggressive support, forced refund policy, etc... ;) ), but at least provide some kind of proof or checkable elements... :confused:

6. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

Hard to produce a proof... unless we send you the report directly. They just write:

ACCOUNT_MAINTENANCE_FEE

--Merchant Account Maintenance Fee
    1 1 -$75.00 -$75.00

What maintenance? They already take 10% to do their job. But where it becomes appaling is when a vendor that sells only a few copies a month is STILL charged those 75 dollars.

I thought Plimus was pretty decent personally. I only moved because of abusive chargebacks.
    But Bluesnap is flat out horrendous.

7. ManuTOO

Original Member

Ok, so thanks to the exact label, I found it there : https://secure.plimus.com/jsp/developer_fees_table.jsp

Ok, so this is unbelievable..! :mad:
    It looks like I'm going to have to go back to BMT..! (coz unfortunately, I'm quite often under $2500 / month)

8. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

we keep telling you ;)

9. Frozen In Ice

Original Member Indie Author

Why did you leave BMT in the first place?

10. ManuTOO

Original Member

Frozen In Ice,
    mainly :
    - BMT currency conversion fee is 7.5~8% ; Plimus' one is "only" 5% (for comparison, Paypal's one is ~2.75%, and my 2 banks' ones are about ~0.5%)
    - BMT doesn't provide multilingual order page (I had to provide them a French translation!), while Plimus supports 28 languages
    - BMT have only 3 currencies ; Plimus supports more, even if the final transaction will be in $ for most of them
    bonus :
    - Plimus support more payment options (which are seldom used)
    - Page order doesn't look like it escaped a time machine from 2000 ;)

I did a bit of research, and it seems this new maintenance fee has been there since April : http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?biz.5.852321 . I didn't get it April (for March payment), though.

I'm going to contact Plimus and see if there's anything negotiable ; I'd rather not change of Payment Processor, and the reasons mentioned above are still valid, so if I have to change, I might need to look for something else than Plimus & BMT... :confused:

11. Frozen In Ice

I'm not sure if I remember the name correctly, but I was approached by someone from FastSpring? I think he is actually on this forum, but I haven't seen him in a while. The other one I remember is eSellerate, although I haven't used them in a few years or so. They're about the only two that are fairly reliable, but you would have to check their rates as I'm sure they've changed by now.

12. ManuTOO

Original Member

Frozen In Ice,
    Fastspring seems globally quite nice, although I can't find the chargeback fee ; but it'd not allow me to handle EU VAT (I don't have to pay it as long as I don't earn too much ;) )
    I also found 2checkout which seems to be quite good (and quite cheap!), except for the insane chargeback fees (so I didn't check their VAT handling).
    In both cases, no idea of the currency conversion fees, as no payment processor on this planet seems to think relevant to detail them (only Paypal does, and even so, without revealing their buying fee, they only tell the 2.5% fee they add to it).

eSellerate website seems to be part of the "by morons, for morons" trend, with a website that basically tells "we're so awesome that we don't need to tell you facts, especially not what is our exact fee plans". So that's without me... ;) (it's really impressive the number of payment processor websites like that, some even go as far as charging for the registration, or give no detail except a form to request to be contacted by email... baffling !)

Oh, and Plimus don't seem much open to any negotiations on their maintenance fee, what a surprise..! :p

13. Jamie W

No idea why people are not just using PayPal? Even in conjunction with a service like e-junkie or digitaldeliveryapp, which will facilitate storage and download of full versions of your games etc.

14. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

You could easily set up your own store if you're using hosting with cPanel, which comes with three different options; ZenCart, osCommerce, and... um... another one which escapes me at present.

You can certainly set up osCommerce to receive payments via Paypal, and I'd imagine most others, too. The only sticking point is how to handle delivery, but the two options given by Jamie W would probably address that.

15. Frozen In Ice

Definitely some good ideas, I might look into them myself :)

16. ManuTOO

Original Member

Jamie W,
    my primary payment option is Paypal, but there are several shortcomings :
    - a product can't have multi-currency prices (ie: $25 / €20), so it requires some work on my site, and it means the very 1st step of the process (the currency selection) might be not well integrated in the whole process (language issues, etc...)
    - the payment page doesn't show the possibility to pay by local bank transfer ; customers have to create an account, load money into it and then pay using these funds ; nothing is explained, so I guess no one ever does that ; I think that instant banking isn't supported as well (payment by bank transfer represents probably nearly 5% of my sales)
    - you also don't have support for alternate way of payments : all Paypal competition like Skrill, and special stuff like PaySafeCard, although I guess all of these methods might be not above 1 or 2% of my sales
    - in some emerging countries, they are really short on payment methods (ie: only credit cards, no possibility to load money from a local bank account)
    - Paypal has a bit of bad/evil reputation, thus some people might not want to use them

But globally, Paypal is quite nice and there's not much need to set up an eCommerce solution to use them, except if you want to sell several games in a cart (I only use their button images & php generated links).

EDIT:
    after checking, payments by bank transfer represents more something like 1%, it's quite marginal... :p
    And I forgot 1 important reason to have 2 payment processors : some cards might be refused by Paypal but accepted by Plimus, and vice versa.

#16 ManuTOO, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  17. DanFromFastSpring.com

Dan here, Co-Founder@FastSpring. Thanks for the mention of us.

We do *not* charge for chargeback fees, provided they are not overly excessive and there is no fraud.
    We do in fact handle EU VAT management.
    We do *not* charge for registration, setup, branding of order pages, most file hosting, unlimited support, etc.
    No maintenance fees either. Absolutely no hidden fees.

We'd be happy to work with you. We treat our clients like gold, whether they are Adobe or a one person shareware business just launching. Don't take my word for it, see here:
    http://bit.ly/9MmuYG

Samples:
    “FastSpring is definitely the best company I have ever interacted with (note: the best company ever, not just related to e-commerce).”
    “Can't tell you how nice the responsiveness is — I feel like I just went to a spa.”

#17 DanFromFastSpring.com, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  18. DanFromFastSpring.com

Feel free to email me directly with any questions at dan at fastspring.com. We're here to help.

- Dan

#18 DanFromFastSpring.com, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  19. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

Bluesnap is basically stealing any small profit anyone may make.
    Say you sell 5 games in a month and make 100 dollars, well with their $75 fee, they just steal it from you.
    Bluesnap = thieves, period. Disgusting.

20. jcottier

jcottier New Member

I've been mainly focusing on mobile lately and let die my own website. I'm still doing some random sales time to time, and yep, my last report from bluesnap indicates a negative value (I own them $ apparently). I want to rebuild my website in a close future, no way, I'll keep BlueSnap.