Essential hardware for business

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Wayward, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Wayward

Original Member

What hardware, apart from your PC, do you find essential to your business?

If you don't have one already, I recommend getting an uninteruptible power supply (I'm sure you have them for servers, but get one for your dev machine too). We're having a thunderstorm here right now that just knocked out the electricity for a few moments. The lights went out but the PC just kept on going. My UPS has saved me three times in the past five years, and I get a glowy smug feeling each time it happens. Laptops are also good in this regard. I once had to use the light from my laptop as a torch.

For the rest of my equipment I use plain surge protection which has also saved me a few times.

2. princec

Indie Author

I find that broadband is entirely indispensable now. I don't know how I managed on ISDN before.

Regarding UPS, that's a handy side effect of using a laptop as my primary development machine.

A comfy chair is fairly essential, and a decent stereo ;)

Cas :)

3. Nemesis

Original Member

An air-conditioning unit to keep from from dosing off in the afternoon heat!

4. sordith

Indie Author

I call your UPS (power goes out at least once a week here), broadband, and AC and I raise you a fridge.

5. BongPig

Indie Author

Xbox is crucial to my buisness.
    :)

6. Jack Norton

Indie Author

don't tell me about that... :eek: the day I'll be finally using broadband it will seem to me like being in paradise :)

UPS could be interesting, even if I make backup so frequently that I rarely lose anything from a power shortage. And well, I don't use pc when outside there's a storm, also because UPS can save your pc, but a lightning can completely burn your new superhighspeed DSL modem ;)
    (it happened to lot of my friends that were using pc while there was a thunderstorm).

7. Nick Bischoff

Indie Author

I would say speakers or some kind of radio, I have to have constant noise in the background when I work.

I would also recommend a USB flash drive. Its the best thin Ive purchased this year.

8. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

A pen/pencil and paper for drawing sketches, formulas, or whatever notes I need to jot down about the current module. Recently have been using polymer clays as mockups for modeling in 3d software.

A nice big, calendar style whiteboard for deadlines and checklists.

As for broadband, it is both a savior and a distraction.

A graphing calculator (overkill, but I have one from college so...).