Esenthel Engine - Flying Character

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by drean, Nov 30, 2008.

1. drean

drean New Member

Hi,

I'm still working on my engine,

Recently I've implemented the ability to fly for Game::Characters.

Here's a screenie:

(Model by Shames Dean)
    [​IMG]

Here's a video on YouTube

I'd appreciate any feedback about the engine.
    If you haven't yet tried it out, then here's a link to check it out.

Thanks,
    Grzegorz Ślaziński

2. electronicStar

Original Member

Nice video, but I don't like the way the grass only appears in a radius around your character. It's very noticeable.
    I'm not specifically criticizing your engine, as most engine seem to do the same (except maybe the cryengines, I don't know).

3. Acord

Acord New Member

Hey, just so long as you don't go and make the next Superman 64 with it ;)

4. Bad Sector

Original Member

cryengine is the actually the worst in terms of things disappearing and appearing. They don't even make an effort to fade things in and out...

5. drean

drean New Member

Thanks for the comments,

My engine supports distant grass rendering (using default mesh or lods - it's customizable) however for rendering such big terrain at once (big viewport range) it gets kind'a slow. Note that the terrain is bumpy, so its hard to do any optimizations for the grass.

With smaller viewport range you can get full grass with satisfying performance.

6. drean

drean New Member

Important message for Radeon x1000 card users:
    If you have experienced problems when running Esenthel Engine (reboots), please check the newest version as it's now working on those cards.

The problem was that Radeon x1000 cards for unknown reason crash when attempting to load engine's SM3.0 shaders using DirectX function D3DXCreateEffect.
    I've forced SM2.0 usage on those cards and now it works ok.

Oh and another important message:
    Esenthel Engine has got its first client :)

#6 drean, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  7. WickedEwok

Original Member

Looked at your site, great job imho, your engine seems pretty complete. Do you have any FAQs on how long it's taken you to write the engine and if there's any GPL code that you're using? I might think about purchasing just to check it out..

8. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

I think the 'grass circle' is more noticable because the colour (shade of green) is so different; i.e. the grass circle in contrast with the default background. If you make these 2 closer in colour, maybe it's not such a big problem anymore.

9. drean

drean New Member

Well definitely I'm programming it for a long time, started my programming adventure when I was a little kid on ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64 and PC, from that moment I'm constantly learning, and working on my software (now I'm 23), so its at least few years, approximately 10-15.
    All the code is written entirely by me - I like to have control over every function, and 100% understanding how it works, so I can make them easier to use, faster, and well integrated with the rest of the engine. The exceptions are usage of DirectX, Ogg/Vorbis/Theora, PhysX and Zlib libraries.

I highly encourage for checking the engine out, there are lots of tutorials to start with (100+) I provide free technical support and advices on my forum, and also the community is getting bigger and bigger :)

Thanks I'll check that out, but remember that there is also grass shadowing which produces black colors on the ground, this isn't visible when there is no grass rendered (because there is no shadow) so the total colors can't be exactly matched together, because with grass you have green+black, and with ground only you have green only.
    Apart from that recently I've updated distant grass rendering, and when enabled it now blends with the "near" grass alot better.

#9 drean, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  10. drean

drean New Member

11. drean

drean New Member