Featured 'Escape Condition' - A Time travelling philosophy game

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Steve Br, May 21, 2020.

1. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

Lots of progress on animation and weapon handling, tested against cyberpunk NPCs here. Many future NPCs will have SMART armor, which is vulnerable to SMART ammo but highly resistant to DIVINE ammo. When destroyed the NPC's CRIT areas will be exposed so players will be rewarded for focusing fire on these areas:

Next: Getting setups completed on the remaining weapons so that players can test loadouts with weapons from different classes (ie a UNIVERSAL machine gun with a DIVINE SMG and a SMART pistol).

Upcoming devlogs will break each weapon down.

2. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

Other than quality tweaks (which never end) I'm finally done with code for weapons and gear. Too many features to list so I'll be going over them in a separate video, but in the way of demonstrations here I show buffs that are unlocked when a player matches classes on their weapon and gloves.

These kinds of class-based combinations will be a big part of loadout strategy especially in time travel missions:

3. leonard10rm

leonard10rm New Member

It looks pretty awesome. Your ideas about ammo and armor for NPC - sound interesting. Our small indie development game company is developing almost the same game and on current levels of development we have to consider about producing more creative art content for our project. We've searched and looked for dozens of game dev studios, analyzing their portfolios. But honestly, I think there is no better option than iLogos video game development studio and now we want to cooperate with them. Their experience counts 14 years of active development process, like porting, game art, game live ops, etc. I am amazed by their portfolio, and especially from their ported versions of mobile indie games, which they have ported to PC version, Facebook version, etc. They have been cooperating with other developers in such project like Angry Birds, Gardenscapes, Animal Jam, and dozens of other projects.

#23 leonard10rm, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  4. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

Finally getting into MODERN weapons, which deal heavy damage to MODERN NPCs, moderate damage to FUTURE NPCs, and low damage to ARCHAIC NPCs.

Also, after feedback that the class system was tough to remember, classes are renamed to:
    1. ARCHAIC
    2. MODERN
    3. FUTURE
    This was done so that the explanations of gameplay are easier for players to understand in relation to the game's combat loop (ie. "use future weapons to do the most damage to future NPCs"). The more flowerly language like "holy" or "SMART" is moved to item names and descriptions and also helps address an issue where SMART tech is being integrated at such a rapid rate in real society that it didn't make sense to refer to it as an exclusively FUTURE archetype.

First longform devlog should be uploaded this week and will explain the class mechanics in full, including some comparisons of time to kill between the three weapon classes.

#24 Steve Br, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  5. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

Spent the week polishing to get frame rate up to snuff with the latest code changes.

Those "code changes" include a major NPC overhaul so that they (a) moved slower and (b) more clearly demonstrate their intentions with animations.

For the next week I'll be fine-tuning each NPC, focusing primarily around their feedback to players (ie: when damaged, they need to be stunned), and how they behave in large areas vs. confined ones.

to maximize the value of the marketplace assets I bought I'll also be building some randomizations like having some of the infected NPCs blow up and do radial damage when killed.

6. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

It's good to be able to fine tune NPC behavior, I'm working on animation montages now that give more feedback to the player so they can identify NPCs more readily. IN addition to attacking if they see the player, they will now respond if one of their "friends" is attacked near them, and can be staggered with the right ammo:

Up next: I'm working on a "look" that makes it clear how infected an NPC is, so that players will be able to quickly judge which weapon is ideal (with divine weapons having the biggest impact on infected NPCs).

7. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

Working on the cyberpunk reality for the coming week, this is a quick demo of the kind of environmental changes the player will see when they go to this alternate reality. There are several distinct building types in my game and each will change in a different way when the player goes to the future.

#27 Steve Br, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  8. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

TIMELINE: FUTURE WARZONE

Cyberpunk isn't the only future you'll travel to, you can also go to warzones in the future to find out how the SYN virus can be weaponized and used to wage massive war. In future warzones the world fights over increasingly rare land space, as flooding has decimated former livable areas and made land the most valuable commodity.

To combat these flood conditions, factions have learned to construct massive walls throughout the map which give them both a fighting vantage point and protections from the polluted water. This murky water is not as toxic as the water in the Cyberpunk reality, but no longer holds healing properties that water possesses in any Utopian timeline.

Players will need to find friendly checkpoints to heal and loot while searching for unique weapons and scientific experiments from this timeline. The closer the player gets to the strongholds of the level however, the harder it is to find checkpoints.

Below on the right side of the screenshot, you'll also see the virus processing tanks that feature heavily in the Cyberpunk and Future Warzone timelines, as Red army operatives regularly inject the virus for heightened combat abilities.

[​IMG]

#28 Steve Br, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  9. Darryl Van Geffen

Darryl Van Geffen New Member

Looks great man. Cant wait

Steve Br likes this.
  10. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

New: first time doing a lighting pass for the game. Still a lot to learn about lighting but this gives a better idea of how the game will look when it's shipped. Also lots of new environmental art.

11. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

Thanks Darryl!

12. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

Back working on cyberpunk, finalized the sky and other environmental effects to make it feel more desolate. Will be adding the usual fun stuff like neon signs next, as well as creating art for all the propaganda screens that loop constantly:

13. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

Cyberpunk gameplay and art update: I want to make each timeline feel unique in combat. For cyberpunk most of the fighting will feel like back alley fights with lots of shadows and areas for NPCs to jump out from. FUTURE helmets/visors will have ways to see through some of this stuff, but they come without much damage protection.

14. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

First full length devlog is up, I go into details about Cyberpunk timeline combat:

First playable mission will be ready to go sometime next week, and I have hired a programming contractor to build a back end for saving the player's progress on Steam.

15. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

Nearly done with art for the ANCIENT EVIL timeline, working next on sinkholes/pits that open up in the street when jumping to this timeline.

16. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

New ambient lighting and optimization, currently averaging ~180 FPS in Steam tests. 30 FPS remains the minimum for release, but this progress makes 60 FPS feasible.

Below is my concept to screen process. My concept art usually includes notes such as which 3d assets to use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

All optimization tests are done, so I now can build maps quickly as I have a complete set of "lego pieces" to work with. Each timeline runs at a minimum of 60 fps in Steam (ship target) while the actual avg. is ~220 FPS on both test machines.

First order of business is fleshing out the time travel machine destination. Players will go to this POI and fight for control of the capture zone. Successfully taking control of the time machine zone will allow the player to jump to the future.