Episode 1 of The Exchange Student Released

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by terin, Sep 5, 2006.

1. terin

Original Member

EPISODE 1 OF “THE EXCHANGE STUDENTâ€￾ GAME RELEASED

(4th of September 2006) First Day in Sweden, the pilot episode of the new interactive sitcom The Exchange Student, is now available for PCs at www.theexchangestudent.com. Macintosh and Pocket PC versions will follow soon.

The Exchange Student is a new episodic comedy game starring Emilio Carboni, a 22 y.o. Italian student who has never had a girlfriend in his entire life. His friend Vincenzo just came back from an exchange program in Sweden. Vincenzo was really satisfied with the program since he met many attractive ladies during his stay in Sweden. Emilio decides to follow his friend's path. He travels to Sweden to spend a semester there, studying in a city called Västerås. Fate however is not that kind with our 'hero' as he soon realizes that finding a Swedish girlfriend is not as easy as it seemed to be.

The Exchange Student is developed by Pan Metron Ariston, a team of developers and artists from all over the world. The development team and the cast behind the game consist of high-profile names. To name a few: the background artist, Bill Eaken, has worked on several legendary titles by Lucasarts and Sierra in the past such as Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Leisure Suit Larry 3, The Dig, The Secret of Monkey Island, Curse of Monkey Island and Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance. John Bell who is performing the role of the main character, has done voice over work for games like Need for Speed Underground: Rivals, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II, Rise of Nations, Star Wars: Rebel Assault and Star Wars: X-Wing. Dave Rigley, the character designer and animator, is the man behind the webcomic 24andahalf.com . Irene Tuomainen, the actress performing the role of the Swedish student Frida, was the dialect coach of Jennifer Garner, for the TV show Alias.

The game blends classic adventure gameplay into the casual game format, making the pace of progress faster and simpler so that the gamer can practically be entertained even if he/she only has a little time to devote into gaming. Featuring a simple point and click interface The Exchange Student requires a minimal learning curve making the game appropriate for both hardcore and casual gamers. At the same time however, the developers have seen to it so that the level of interactivity remains high throughout the game and that The Exchange Student is not just a click-through experience. The initial sales statistics suggest that Pan Metron Ariston is on the right track as over 40% of the customers so far are female gamers.

The Exchange Student is a series that should appeal to those who enjoy TV cartoon shows like Johnny Bravo, games like Leisure Suit Larry and Curse of Monkey Island and TV sitcoms like Friends, That 70s Show and Married with Children. The full version of the first episode costs 10 Euros (equal to $12.8) and can be bought within the free trial version by using a Credit Card or a Paypal account. Episode 2: The Point Game will be released this October. For more information visit the official website at www.theexchangestudent.com

#1 terin, Sep 5, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

There's a typo, you wrote "Episdoe 1 of The Exchange Student Released" (thread title)

3. Marshall

Marshall New Member

What a huge waste of talent (not terin -- the voice actors and the artists) on a total lack of vision. I really wanted to like this game but once I put my coat on and was ready to go, I couldn't bear it anymore. Bad user interface (should I talk to the mirror or use it? Let me think..), uninteresting story line, mischaracterization, can't skip dialogues, blatant bugs already reported on this board and not fixed (watching the credits glorifying the "project director" force you to quit the game; taking 100% cpu when quitting at times, having to kill the process), and a whopping 10 minutes of gameplay at best. Don't leave your day job.

4. dimidimidimi

Original Member

Seriously what is the deal with you? It is funny that you wanted me to give you a free review copy. I don't know what reasons lie behind your series of hatred posts regarding the Exchange Student both in this forum and elsewhere, but seriously I couldn't care less, the game has been getting some very good previews/reviews, excellent comments from customers so far and the sales are going great...so thanks for your advice but I think I'll stick to this job ;)

Thanks Jack. I tried changing the thread title, but although it is corrected when you see the whole thread, it won't edit the text shown in the thread list.

#4 dimidimidimi, Sep 5, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  5. soniCron

Indie Author

Hmmmm... I've got to say, I was hugely disappointed. The graphics are beautiful, but the storyline was uninteresting and certainly didn't leave me wanting more. The characters were one-dimensional, cliched, and poorly acted. The comedic timing was non-existant. And the scenarios were dull. (My first task is to pick up plane tickets from the desk? I know you said "casual," but...) I was hoping it would be much more interesting, especially with an all-star cast.

Sorry I don't have much good to say. It was very... pretty. :eek:

6. impossible

Original Member

I tried the game because Marshall and Sonicron were so passionate about how bad it is, and it doesn't seem so bad. The major problem I had was the demo was ridiculously short. Adventure game demos tend to be dissapointingly short (because of the nature of the games) but this was too short to get any sort of feel for the game beyond a rough idea of who the main character is.

Obviously you haven't played many mediocre or average adventure games. There are a few great ones that everyone loves, but there's a reason why the genre died off... If you compare this game to Day of the Tentacle or Grim Fandango it looks bad, but if you compare it to Flight of the Amazon Queen or something a little more average its not so bad :).

7. Bad Sector

Original Member

Well, the reason that point-n-click adventure games died is that they won't require you to use nVidia's or ATi's Next-Gen supah-cards. Most of them play nicely even with an old S3 Virge.

8. Orange Brat

Original Member

Sorry for the double.

#8 Orange Brat, Sep 6, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  9. Orange Brat

Original Member

The genre hasn't died off. New games are released every month, and there are several dozen pending titles. Some sell(esp. in Europe), others don't. So is true of all genres. There are some great games still being made, and likewise there is garbage, too. Look up a demo(released in both German and English versions) for a game called Tunguska. That's probably the most talked about adv. and my vote for insta-classic status just based on the demo.

As for The Exchange Student...I liked what I played. And, other forums and adv. enthusiasts seem to be much more positive towards it than Indie Gamer. I'm not sure why, but that's my observation. Adv. gamers are a fickle crowd, and they'll let you know when you've succeeded, and esp. when you have failed. ;)

10. Hidden Sanctum

Original Member

Dimi - Congrats on getting this released! I know you had a series of issues and uphill battles to deal with to bring this to the world. My hats off to you for pulling it off. Looks like you have a stalker too! You know you've made it when you have one of those. :D

Don't get me started on the whole "Adventure games died" thing. It hasn't died and is doing quite nicely. The only thing that changed is that there are more types of games out there competing for customers attention so the majority of games being released are not AGs like it was back in the early/mid 90s. It's just a more diverse field now with some genres taking bigger shares. AGs are still being made and released on a regular basis.

Now turn based hex wargaming is a genre that has died.

11. soniCron

Indie Author

12. Hidden Sanctum

Original Member

Actually I have! :D

Them and Battlefront, HPS, and Matrix. You 'might' get lucky and find one game by Matrix in the stores (a Gary Grisby game (2x3 Games)), but long gone are the days of the TalonSoft games, Steel Panthers, and Panzer General series when you had a pretty decent selection to choose from in the retail stores.

If you want those kinds of games now, you can pretty much only get them online directly from the publishers.:(

At least with AGs you can find 5 or 6 titles on the store shelves at any given time. Not like the old days, but definitely not dead.;)

13. terin

Original Member

Matrix will be releasing three games into retail in the next few months.

None of the Hex based wargames though :)

-Joe
    Matrix's PR manager :p

14. Bad Sector

Original Member

Okay, i've played the demo and my comments are:

Good stuff
    - The colors are very good!
    - The graphics are good (not anything spectacular, but they're okay :). I like the 'strange perspective'.
    - I like the speech and the accent :).
    - It's a comedy game as opposed to most 'serious' adventure games that big houses produce.
    - The interface is really simple (reminds me the Monkey Island 3's interface a bit).
    - Subtitles :-D.

Bad stuff
    - Episodic gaming. Sorry, but this whole idea to me sounds like "we have not enough budget and/or we want to milk our players as soon as possible without finishing the game" (and this includes big players, such as Valve, Ritual and others who provide episodes). I prefer to play a game as a whole, not in 'issues' like reading a never-ending comic.
    - Too many cliche's. Way too many.
    - As someone mentioned above, while it is funny, there is something that is missing. I don't know why, but it looks like a polished me-too adventure, inspired by classics such as LSL, Monkey Island and the like.
    - And while i'm at LSL, i think that the game has way too many similarities (a guy that tries to get 'in touch' with the ladies, he fantasizes things in a Larry-like fashion -when he finished fantasizing about the woman he was going to meet in Sweden, i was expecting him to say something like "Ohh, boyy!", like Larry-, a 'suit' that is his trademark but in truth is totally out of fashion, etc)
    - He is 22, but his chin looks way too gray. That may be artistic, but it doesn't look like that to me. Generally, the character doesn't look like 22 at all...

Okay, that what comes to my mind. Also another thing too: how much does it cost? I know it's mentioned on the site, but i don't have net connection at my home, so i couldn't know. I think it should be mentioned in the game.

Bottom line is, i wouldn't buy it. My biggest stopper is the episodic thing. When i buy a game , i want the full version. When you finish it, and if it isn't priced as the sum of all episodes, i may do. But since it's not the only stopper, i may not...

15. Artinum

Original Member

Perhaps the name is all that needs changing to deal with the "episodic" feel. Ditch the "Episode 1" and simply release the episode as a whole game (one would hope there is enough in this one episode to do so).

Then, when Episode 2 is released, you have "The Exchange Student Part 2 - The Second Day" or some such. As long as each part is complete in and of itself, you're marketing several games rather than several parts of one game.

Just a bit of brainstorming, no "should" or "shouldn't" is implied.