entering 2011 IGF or not?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by m3xican, Oct 16, 2010.

1. princec

Indie Author

Not really. $5k will keep a 2 man team going in the UK for 2 weeks. Not much of a real resource.

But seriously - what is the point of allowing games at pretty much any stage of completion to enter? Nothing adds up here. It's just all fundamentally broken.

Cas :)

2. andrew

andrew New Member

3. m3xican

m3xican New Member

imho mixing desktop and mobile games is just wrong.
    Shame on me who haven't checked that things were changed respect past years, whatever...

Well, good luck to all the entrants anyway :)

4. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

There's quite a mixture there. Some look like a lot of effort has gone into them, while others look quite crude.

Looking through the list at the screenshots, videos and websites, there are four entries which have caught my eye:

-- Aquaduct. I'm familiar with both the sliding tiles and the pipes games, and I think this could be fun.

-- Red Ball 3. Platform/puzzle hybrid with nice innocent graphics. Looks interesting.

-- Solar. Gravity physics is hard to master from a player perspective. I'm curious to know what this game involves, but it could be interesting..

-- The Tiny Bang Story. This looks beautifully drawn, but I have no idea what sort of game it is!

5. tfowers

tfowers New Member

We decided to enter the IGF, because of the nature of our game. We mostly do flash/AIR games, but this game is more suited to consoles. So the IGF is a way to potentially get attention of the consoles or someone who could help us get it there.
    Our game is prettymuch raw game mechanics with some basic art. It's a two player VS game, and we didn't want to code networking before the concept is proven, so we made it 2 player, single keyboard. So the game has to stand on it's core mechanic - competitive time loop + pacman. We believe it's different and fun on those merits, so we'll see what the judges think.

EDIT: our game is Recursion

#65 tfowers, Oct 22, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  6. Vino

Vino New Member

I mean, why enter a contest when you can just have Notch link to you on Twitter? Sure he'll bring your server down for a bit but ... I wonder how it would affect your sales? It'd be pretty neat if somebody around here knew that.

7. Matthew

Indie Author

One example of this at IFC: http://www.ifc.com/news/2010/10/independent-games-festival-unv.php

8. Sillysoft

Indie Author

^^ +1 for this suggestion

9. princec

Indie Author

We managed 2 sales before the server was completely floored :( I'm going to have to stop this from happening, and it's probably going to be expensive. Bah.

Cas :)

10. Vino

Vino New Member

Haha great!

Supposedly with the cloud stuff you can have it automatically throw up extra instances to handle extra traffic, which of course costs money but you'd be making up for that with extra sales. Getting a spike in traffic like that is pointless if you can't keep the server up for it.

11. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Has anyone else browsed through the list of entries? Are there any which have caught your eye?

12. Andrej Vojtas

Andrej Vojtas New Member

I did browse the selection and ended up totally immersed into the 4 text based interactive stories from choiceofgames.com.

The game always tracks a couple of relevant stats about your protagonist and then evaluates your choices against those stats, so not only the story branching choices create a new path in the story, but also the stats influence how a branch plays out. Results in quite a variety and replayablity. I found the writing excellent too. It was a long time I enjoyed a game this much. If you like stories, I absolutely recommend them.

13. Andrej Vojtas

Andrej Vojtas New Member

I agree they are all valuable, but I would expect innovation in mechanics to compete also in the "Nuovo Award" category, and innovation in use of technology in the "Technical Excellence".

What really seems not covered is a category for "excellence in storytelling" in games. With that I don't merely mean a game with excellent story material (characters, plot), but also excellent storytelling techniques tailored for the interactive medium.

14. kraz007

kraz007 New Member

Funnies thing I read all day! Generally, if the wife says, do it.