entering 2011 IGF or not?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by m3xican, Oct 16, 2010.

1. m3xican

m3xican New Member

deadline for IGF is next Monday and I was wondering if entering the contest or not.

The only concern I have is raised by the fact my game is not finished yet.
    It satisfies the minimum requirements regarding "State of Development":
    All Entered Games must be in a "beta" state or better (i.e., Entered Games must be feature-complete). At least one (1) level of each Entered Game must be complete and fully playable.
    and meets all requirements to enter, but I'm wondering if it's worth entering with an unfinished game or not.

As you probably already know, rules allow updates until the end of the year, even if there's now warranty that judges will check the latest version.

Do you have any related experience?
    Do you think entering the contest is good anyway (cause of all the people/press checking submitted games) or should I save the money for advertisement/giveaway promotions?

P.S.
    Anybody else entering the contest? :)

2. Musenik

Original Member

Go ahead and enter. The only real downside is $95, and that's not very much. For that you get exposure on a site visited by eager gamers, and you get a chance to really shine, if your game is picked.

Keep polishing your entry, though. Especially polish what is already working. That's more important than adding new levels.

3. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Andy Shatz's game was definitely not finished when it was submitted and that won the grand prize. So I'd say "go for it".

4. princec

Indie Author

Really reckon it's worth it at all? I mean, really? It's like $100 for no traffic. No eyeballs, not even a blip on the web stats. I've blown $300 over the years and never even registered a single sale as a result of IGF.

Cas :)

5. cliffski

Another vote here for just spending the same money on ads.
    The feedback I got from the judges was laughable. Only 1 of them actually played it.
    Your mileage may vary.

6. papillon

Indie Author

It really depends on what kind of game you have. It's a simple way to get a little bit of attention, IF you're making the kind of game that will catch attention quickly. But plenty of good games go into it and get nothing, because they're not wacky in the right way to really stand out from the hundred other games in there, or impressive in the right way to really wow the distracted judges QUICKLY.

There are a lot of games. Some are crap. Many are mediocre. Judges get distracted and bored and look at only a small amount of a game before filing it under 'enh' and moving on. And they're the people who are actually 'made' to play it for that small amount before coming to a conclusion. Jane Random browsing the IGF site is only going to bother even opening the website of a game if it sounds sufficiently cool in the tiny amount of info presented in that long list of titles.

As for being unfinished - the judges are only going to even TRY to play the whole game if they really like it, honestly. They're far more likely to play the first level and judge on that. If you want to make a go of the contest, make your first level look great and just BS them about how wonderful the rest of the game will be when you actually get around to it :)

7. ionside

ionside New Member

I put just one semi-finished level of 'Lylian' in last year. It got some good feedback from the judges, and it did manage to grab the interest of indiegame blog, etc.

But I'm not sure it is worth the $100. Unless, you believe you have great chance of winning, of course. :)

8. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

I'm not sure people who visit IGF are "natural purchasers".
    It may drive traffic in but maybe not the traffic that converts into sales.
    The feedback I'd had for my only entry was OK, a bit short but it was positive and fairly interesting.

9. m3xican

m3xican New Member

reading your comments make me think that entering the IGF is more a coin-flip than a marketing strategy, so... I'm still thinking about it.

poker player mode ON :rolleyes:

10. zoombapup

Maybe your games werent considered "artsy" enough. I get the feeling that there's an in crowd thing going on. But if you go to GDC this really is a BIG hoo-hah, so it feels a bit weird that you literally get no traffic from it.

11. Amirai

Amirai New Member

Seriously? Are you sure? Because if you are, that's... a bit upsetting that some of the judges wouldn't even bother to play some of the games. :(

12. princec

Indie Author

My games weren't played at all. I sent them registrations but they remained unused.

13. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I don't have direct experience of this thing, but I'll be entering great little war game into it next year.

To me it seems to be one of those things that seems fairly pointless at face value. However, on the other hand if you don't ever do anything then nothing good is ever gonna happen. Whereas the more things you try, maybe one of them might just kick something off.

14. princec

Indie Author

This is true, but given the choice between throwing $100 at IGF or throwing $100 at ProjectWonderful, I know what's going to get me more sales now.

15. vjvj

Indie Author

Yeah, despite the improvements they made in the 2010 process, IGF has kinda fallen off the radar for us as a target. All personal feelings about "experimental" development aside, you can't really argue that experimental game fans have become their audience and I remain skeptical about that demographic having any interest in what we're doing.

That's not cool :(

16. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Between that and what cliffski said, if they actually have digital proof (i.e. unused reg codes) that the judges aren't even playing the games, I think the IGF should be called out on that.

17. princec

Indie Author

Can't be bothered. I just won't enter.

18. papillon

Indie Author

Sorting out the use of regcodes among judges can be awkward; not knowing what game we're talking or what the restrictions are, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people would rather play the demo free and make their call based on that rather than fiddle with getting the registration working. Multiplayer-only gaming makes the problem even worse.

19. princec

Indie Author

I didn't pay $100 for that.

20. papillon

Indie Author

Yeah, I'm not saying you *should*, I'm just guessing at how things work from the other end based on my limited experience of judging. The games are supposed to get played, but it's much more likely to be the case if playing it doesn't involve fooling around with registrations or trying to find someone else to play WITH.

Could be worse - I bitched elsewhere about a particular contest that charges you more than that and doesn't even PRETEND to look at the games unless they make it to the second round. How do they get to that second round? Being already famous, apparently...

(And while the new IGF judging idea sounds good on paper, it could turn into exactly that if the judges are evil enough. That depends on the evil of individuals, though, not the system. I innocently hope you'd have to have terrible luck to only encounter evil judges.)