Embedded C++ 3's missing headers!

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by punchey, Aug 10, 2004.

1. punchey

Original Member

I'm using Embedded C++ 3 and I've become very frustrated by the absence of many of the standard headers. For instance, none of STL is there, time.h isn't there, and lots of the file I/O headers aren't there. From what I understand EC++ 4 has some of these, but for backward compatability reasons, I want to stick to version 3.

So my question is, does anyone know what to do about this? Is it possible to simply use the standard headers that come with packages like MSVC 6? Or is there another package out there that supliments this deficiency?

Thanks!

2. Nikster

Original Member

3. punchey

Original Member

Thanks. I've managed to mostly work around the lack of STL support. The two things that are giving the most trouble now are lack of time.h and lack of many of the standard file I/O routines. I can probably work around the file I/O problem, but that still leaves me with getting time info from the platform.

I found one toolkit that's designed to allow you to run console apps on a Pocket PC (I forget the name now), but I think that's a commercial lib and I'm writing a commercial game, so I'd rather not have to pay for something as standard as time.h if I don't have to, or if I can find a work-around.

4. punchey

Original Member

Well, I'm beginning to think that there MUST be a time.h, among others, available for the platform because I've searched the MSDN Pocket PC/Windows CE documentation and there are many references to time.h. I doesn't make sense that they'd include documentation on things that require time.h in the Windows CE/Pocket PC docs. I've tried downloading all the different platform SDKs for both Pocket PC and Windows CE, to no avail. None of them contain these basic headers. Yet I've found posts on the 'net from people claiming that they have time.h specifically under their WinCE tools folder.

5. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Did you check the .lib files that you link against to make sure that the time functions are even available in the object code?

6. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

7. punchey

Original Member

Jim Buck: No, I hadn't checked the .libs. I had assumed that they probably don't have it since it didn't come with the headers... I was hoping to find a pack that would come with the includes and the libs.

Applewood: Thanks, I'll check it out.