Efficient coding techniques

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by techbear, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Grey Alien

Indie Author

nice thread, kinda reassuring to know I'm already doing the right things.

I use text files for levels (and objects) and after making a few for testing the game, I then like to make an editor to speed things up and be more "visual".

2. Gilzu

Moderator Original Member

Take the "right" things with a pinch of salt. Polymorphism usually means more overhead = a bit slower code.

everything has its cons and pros.

3. Savant

Original Member

"Slower code" doesn't really mean anything when you're talking about a match-3 game. You'd really have to be hammering the system with effects (or doing something intensely stupid in your code) to have performance problems in a puzzle game.

Go for the cleaner code, I say.

4. Pogacha

Original Member

Polymorphism is always faster than a switch (Entity.Get_Type()) ... and more practical than a function pointer ...

Edit: "everything has its cons and pros." I agree ... but in this case you win in all points

5. Gilzu

Moderator Original Member

Who said I was aiming toward a puzzle game? :D platform & action are more my type, where FPS counts.

1. (if we're already on the subject) why not use the ANSI's typeid operator?
    2. I really doubt if its much faster than a switch statement. Function calling is always a drag (pun intended - you drag your stack). That's why they invented Inline.
    3. Since I already mentioned it, Inline functions is a nice efficient technique to speed things up.

6. Savant

Original Member

Inline is also a good way to bloat your memory footprint and cause cache misses. Code optimization is a great topic. :cool:

7. HairyTroll

Original Member

If the incorrect algorithm is used then all the profiling in the world is for naught. For example:

- Using a bubble sort instead of quicksort, or
    - Traversing a linked list to find a object instead of using a hash table lookup, or
    - Redrawing the screen on each frame instead of only updating the dirty rectangles.

The knowledge of and choice of algorithms is generally what separates a good programmer from a code-monkey.

#47 HairyTroll, Jan 6, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  8. HairyTroll

Original Member

One more thing that helps when creating efficient code is the ability to generate code on the fly, ie. during program execution. This allows an algorithm to take advantage of specific runtime behaviour that is unknown at compile-time.

9. Savant

Original Member

Man, that sounds like debugging nirvana!

10. princec

Indie Author

That's how Java works...

Cas :)

11. Savant

Original Member

Is that why it's so slow?

*ducks*

I kid!

12. Vorax

Original Member

No, that's why Java is fast :) Cas is referring to the miraculous JIT capability of dynamic runtime profiling, pathing and code rewriting. It's the reason Java keeps getting faster and faster.

But my guess is Hairytroll was not reffering to JIT runtime miracles...but rather to Lisp

13. Savant

Original Member

I know, I was just fooling around.

I guess the point there is that Java is writing code on the fly, not the programmer behind the keyboard. HUGE difference there in terms of debugging.

14. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Actually originally my match-3 DID draw the whole screen each frame and although this was fine on most PCs it wasn't much good on old ones, so I changed it all to a dirty rects system and now it runs on 300MHz PCs.

15. Fabio

Original Member

What's wrong with that? My LoadFont() routine loads a bitmap and produces x86 machine code (to draw characters in a pre-compiled way).

Text() then uses these "draw chars" run-time compiled pieces of code.

Once I finished it (it didn't take long, also because I already had my x86 assembler class) I never needed to debug it, I also then reused and extended the code for compiled sprites (wait a moment, that's more or less cloning! ;) ).

It's a piece of software I'm quite satisfied of, even proud, all but a "debugging nirvana". And I can't think of a better (more productive) example of "generate code on the fly".