Effectlibrary.com, special effect sprites

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Defcon1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Defcon1

Defcon1 New Member

Hello all,

Announcing a new site, http://www.effectlibrary.com, a place where devolopers can
    find special effect sprites (such as smoke, fire, explosions), tutorials, and random free assets. This site will be a growing resource that provides several high quality boilerplate and specialized effects.

Thanks for your time.

Sean

2. Nikos Beck

Nikos Beck New Member

It looks good. I'd probably want to see stills of some of the effects in, say, the earth book to see if it's the sort of thing I'd actually need. I'm glad you support Torque, it's my engine of choice. You could probably expand to other engines simply by supporting animated GIFs. It's definately a resource worth looking at.

3. JGOware

Indie Author

Also, make the effects in transparent .png format, with all the sprite frames on 1 texture separated by at least a 1 pixel border. I would go with 1024x1024 and then we can edit/resample down to 512x512, 256x256, etc, as needed.

4. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Interesting. Yeah they must be transparent png. Are they?

5. Defcon1

Defcon1 New Member

Yeah, the png's all have transparency and the zip file that you download has each individual frame as a png as well as a sheet for each effect (also png). If you are curious, you can just download the free fire effect in the "free stuff" section.

Do you think full size gif animations would expand upon the usefulness of these effects or is that easy enough to convert?

Thanks for your interest.

Sean

6. sindisil

Original Member

Can't use them

IANAL, but it seems clear to me that, until you change your license, the sprites are of no use to a game developer. The license explicitly prohibits redistribution.

So, I could make a game with the sprites, but I couldn't redistribute that game.

You need to clarify the difference between redistributing the sprites as part of another work and redistributing the sprites themselves.

Also, the phrasing "in a public domain" in the summary is unfortunate, since "public domain" has a specific legal meaning. Your wording in the main license agreement ("in a public area") is better.

All that aside, some of the sprites like quite nice. If you revise the license agreement in the future, be sure to say so here, so I can take a second look!

7. Defcon1

Defcon1 New Member

Ua

Yeah I've received a lot of comments on the user agreement and it is being amended and will be up soon (tonight or tomorrow). I will be sure to post once it has been changed.

Sean

8. Defcon1

Defcon1 New Member

Updated user agreement

The User Agreement has been updated. You are now only restricted from redistributing "in a form other than publishing in a game, video and/or image." Easy!

I hope this puts everyone at ease, but if there are any other issues, please feel free to contact me.

Sean