EDMUND-A game about a Rapist [FREEWARE][NSFW]

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Farmergnome, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Farmergnome

Original Member

Hi guys this is my first serious game, that I made for a TIGSource competition, I would love you guys to have a play. The game follows 2 characters through a series of events with a central theme of rape, I thought id post it here even though its not everyones cup of tea... That being said, its not what it seems...

Heres a short video

(ADMIN WARNING : VIDEO MAY CONTAIN MATERIAL OFFENSIVE TO SOME.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvrfxQ5k3AM
    ADMIN NOTE : This warning was the balance struck since some people complained about the thread and because the thread, while potentially offensive to some people was in fact indie game related.

Heres 2 links to the game download:

MY DL LINK: http://www.paul-greasley.com/Edmund/edmund.zip

Here is the competition thread:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=7086.0

Thanks for playing, tell me what you think, good or bad.

#1 Farmergnome, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2009
  2. lakibuk

Indie Author

(Ouch, another game using the Z key making it hard to play with my german QWERTZ keyboard. EDIT: found the controls.ini)

Controversial: violence in games
    Much worse: sex in games
    Edmund: sex+violence. Congrats for going over the top. :)

It's an interesting shortest game. Art style is good and you've got some really good sound design. It was an experience playing it. The raping looks pretty goofy, intentional? The game reminded me of the movie "Henry, portrait of a serial killer".

#2 lakibuk, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  3. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

I'm sorry, just looking at the video, I dont want to play the game... Unless maybe if I can make the main character throw himself into a pit and die.

4. puddinlover

puddinlover New Member

Well the trailer was pretty brutal...

5. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

After watching the video, that's exactly what it is.

The whole concept of having this as a 'game', is sick.

6. CheapDevotion

CheapDevotion New Member

I don't chime in much around here, but I definitely have to agree with Desktop Gaming. If your shooting for controversial, I think you hit the mark well. Watching the trailer quite literally turned my stomach. I can't imagine the effect that this trailer would have on a woman.

7. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Hmm, I'm not so sure about this one. I mean it clearly IS a game. Of course the content might offend you, but thats just part for the course with any media.

There's plenty of precedents for rape scenes in other media, why should games be any different?

No matter how personally distasteful one sees this, I think we have to stand up for his right to make it. Same as with super columbine.

8. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

BTW: we are having a moderators discussion about this, as its clearly got some people offended. But it needs some consideration before simply removing I think.

9. lakibuk

Indie Author

Heh heh, Platoon! (for those who have played around with the game a little more).

10. GnadeGames

Original Member

why the game is definitely brutal, I don't think the moderators should jump in and ban the post. Maybe sticky a warning or something on it.

11. defanual

Original Member

It's brutal, but...

My problem is the video doesn't offer anything other then a what is does, a pixelated dude slapping and raping a chick. If there's more to it then that then perhaps it would be wise to indicate this in some way either via visuals or text.

Real subjects like this are dealt with in games (although admittedly very very few) but it needs to be done right and not just in a trivialising or sensationalizing fashion (for instance, Silent Hill 2's dealing with suicide and the psychological symbols of it's subject matters is done well in my opinion).

This is especially true when you consider that it's far from trivial for people that may have (or know people that have) actually experienced the subject matter in question.

Other then that, I'll assume there's more to it as said and give credit for the visual style and atmosphere which I suppose is within matching.

12. Jack Norton

Indie Author

One of the most disgusting thing I've ever seen :(
    If you put the event of the rape into a context (like a story) and the player could just tell it (no need to use explicit visuals) could be ok, but this way... sorry no.
    I got many people "offended" simply because of the lesbian theme on Heileen (like if homosexuality is STILL considered a genetic disease in 2009) but they were: soft, unexplicit and put into the context of a story.

13. Zollo

Zollo New Member

Well that was offensive, so you succeeded in that. I played a couple of times to see how far i could progress the story but I think your only choice is to rape to get some sort of ending. For example I followed eddie to his apartment with my gun out. When I got there I shot him and it went back to the title screen. Did I do something wrong? I played again and instead shot the women since that seems like the only other thing to do and then I turned into eddie(somehow) and raped the lady? That didn't make sense to me. After that was done another scene played of an unfortunate lady getting into eddie's taxi agian... and then back to title screen? Am I missing something? Rapists will always be rapists ? Is that all there is to it?
    I wanted to play this to make sure I didn't pass judgment too quickly. But it didn't seem to be morally deep. It was just gross.

14. JoKa

Indie Author

No chance for this one, "Custer's Revenge" is still my favorite rapist game :D

Seriously, I see a sense in making controversial games about things like religion or adding violent content to games which are aimed at grown-ups. But I don't think it's a good idea to make a game which only consists of offending actions. Guess it could only be topped by part 2: Curse of the child molester :eek:

15. jcottier

jcottier New Member

That's just sick.

I guess you might think off yourself as some kind of artsy game creator. Think no more, you are not. That's just blattantly sick and provocative without any real justification behind it.

Why are you wasting your talent with such crap...

JC

16. lakibuk

Indie Author

There's also immoral art, like the great Marquis de Sade e.g.

17. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

I think the intention is to purposefully be offensive or controversial. It seems like quite a common publicity tactic, and this is certainly not the first time it's been done. It's the easiest thing in the world to be rude, unkind, obnoxious etc etc. A lot of people do that, and they do it with the specific intent of attracting attention.

That's probably the exact motivation for this game.

For me, that whole thing is not my cup of tea, and I can't help but draw the conclusion that people who adopt such a tactic, do so because they can't make it on talent alone.

18. Jack Norton

Indie Author

IF you have read those books, there is a STORY behind those immoral acts. Isn't like a 20 lines books describing people f**ing and stop :D

19. lakibuk

Indie Author

That's exactly what De Sade's books are like (but more than 20 lines, hundreds of pages pure smut.) :)

20. electronicStar

Original Member

I'm against the ban or thread lock, but I think this game announcement really doesn't make sense taken out of the context of the adult compo.
    The aim of the adult (and educational) compo was to force indie devellopers to tackle themes that are almost never seen in videogames, mainly about sexuality (and don't tell me that mainstream devellopers are dealing with these topics, because when they do it's always ridiculously caricatural.)
    But yeah there was no reason to announce it here outside of the context of the compo, what were you thinking farmergnome?:rolleyes: