Early Card Concept Graphic Feedback Request

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by robphx387, Feb 21, 2018.

1. robphx387

robphx387 New Member

The basics of the project:
    • Card-and-die-based combat game with some relation to Blue vs. Gray, D&D, CMSF (PC), and the AGE engine games (PC).
    • Some day, would be nice to have a fully-functional combined arms sim on PC, but testing each little piece as a card game first.
    • Game models naval combat (ASW, ASuW, and Air) in the modern/recent past time periods, so a system for sonar, radar, EMCON, and smart weapons/decoys/drones will be needed (working on this).
    • Will be based in an alternate universe from a fiction novel.
    • Cards will be units (ships/planes/etc), leaders (AGE-like ORBATs), Territories/zones, or specials (unknown/biological contacts, submerged wrecks, events/weather, etc)
    The picture attached is a sample of what I am considering a card could look like. Below the pic are some details of how this could work & my questions for feedback request.

HMS Daring card sample PRE RESCALE.jpg
    1. Unit card
      • Face-side shows available weapons & sensor systems, location on ship of important components, and gives the name, type, and tier info for the ship
      • Has space for chits/markers denoting the "on/off" or "Damaged/Depleted" and other status markers (is it a Task Force or Battlegroup Flagship?
      • K/H is a stat tracking spot for # of units "killed" or "hit" by this unit
      • D/R is a stat tracker for time the unit has been "Damaged" or "Retreated" from a given campaign
      • REVERSE side, shows which direction the ship is traveling/oriented by arrow & lists basic, vague radar/sonar return information from passive sensor (such as "Large radar signature" or "mechanical noise" and gives several "possible" categories of contact like "Large passenger liner" or "Capital Ship." Getting correct information (flips the card) requires an active scan or requires you enter the effective range of your passive equipment and/or visual range.
    2. Accompanying the cards is the "Fleet sheet"
      • Lists your ships, by task force and battle group
      • Each ship has stat tracker boxes for ammo/fuel/supply of each module & expendable countermeasure
      • Leader name(s) and stats
    3. And finally the combat sheet
      • Lists each weapon/attack/defense type & corresponding accuracy/damage roll(s) & modifiers.
      • While a complete on could be a double sided one-sheet, it is easily something that could be cut-paste for just the systems you have and be much shorter.
      • This & the fleet sheet is like a character sheet in D&D
    I'm currently looking to see if anyone has suggestions for:
    • Size of cards. what's a good target to aim for?
    • card layout. How is my sample? what could be changed? is there a better layout option?
    • Is there a way to simplify the need for two different reference sheets without having to either:
      • A: use double sided cards for combat stats (because the active/passive sensor thing is a key naval warfare issue)
      • B: Use individual cards for each weapon type (I think that would be a bit more work than a reference sheet, having all those cards to sort through, but maybe it would look better? IDK)
    + any general feedback or ideas are welcome. I am hoping to use the cards for my marketing portfolio too, so they should look nice when done, with 3D models of the fictional ships (but, for now, I just grabbed a filler picture and based it on a real ship)