DROID ASSAULT released!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by princec, May 3, 2008.

1. princec

Indie Author

It's the latest of the 1.1.x series - surely that should work?

I suspect what it is is that the stub launcher that I've shipped isn't compatible.

Cas :)

2. elias

Original Member

No, only the latest 2.0 is compiled with 64 bit support (a side effect of fixing mac os x 10.5 builds, since java 6 weren't out at the time).

- elias

3. princec

Indie Author

Drat! That's still in beta. I suppose I could try it out - I don't use FMOD or DevIL after all.

4. mot

mot
    Indie Author

Doesn't Info.plist in the Mac zip bundle include an entry that specifies the required Java version? Usually there's something like "1.4+" in it, what about changing it to "1.4" to force the older version?

5. Agent 4125

Indie Author

This is awesome. =) I will probably pick it up as soon as I have some free time to kill. Definitely a worthy successor to Paradroid.

6. princec

Indie Author

Hm, spose I could... it doesn't rely on anything other than 1.4. I'll try LWJGL 2.0 tomorrow and see how that goes.

7. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Yeah it has that paradroid addictiveness but the fact that you don't totally die if you have other robots in your squad is a stroke of genius.

I had a few suggestions that would have made it even better for me:

1) An ability to transfer immediately to your other droids even when they are not in line of sight by pressing keys 1-8 for example. Sometimes after my main bot dies I get put in the body of a bot I don't want to control and I want to swap to another one instantly rather than having to go and find it (and sometimes they are hard to find). I can think of some good tactics I could use in such a situation. Perhaps it's OK to say you don't need to do the whole "transfer in line of sight" thing with droids already in your party as they are already under your control? Anyway, just thought I'd bring this up.

2) Walls that look solid. Later on there are holes in the floor you can fly over if you have a hover bot and you can shoot over them. The problem is that they look just like walls so I'm often confused between the two. If walls had some texture or plain colour or diagonal lines (think "thrust") this would make them look different from holes.

3) Would be nice to find out the stats on your current bot mid-level somehow. Perhaps via a little computer you can logon to.

4) Shop! Oh how I'd love to spend that money upgrading my droids between levels and healing the damaged ones.... I realise a shop is a big thing though to add to a game and it would affect gameplay, just thought I'd mention it.

5) Perhaps it would make it too easy but a map/scanner upgrade would be cool. You could also see your other bots on it if you needed to find them and seek them out to transfer to them.

6) Squad tactics. The other bots sometimes really help out, but other times they just get killed dumbly. Be great if you could say, "stand still", "follow me", "defend me", "attack nearest enemy", etc.

7) Ability to blow up mines somehow other than rolling over them!

8) Escape should bring up an in-game menu with "resume game" and "save and exit" instead of immediately exiting and saving.

9) Mouse click to resume from pause. Pause and Unpause is P, but often I pause mid action (due to family interruptions) and I have to press P to resume then quick move my hand to the mouse whilst I'm getting shot at - and that one second of hand movement is just too long ;-)

8. princec

Indie Author

That's already implemented - use Q/E or PgUp/Dn or the mousewheel. It feels a bit random mind.

Under consideration.

Thought about that but couldn't see it fitting in with the fairly frantic live action (you'd typically step on a terminal shooting by accident and the action would suddenly stop, probably by accident).

That, I think, is for another game ;)

Maybe :) I quite like the fact they're a PITA.

Maybe one day will do this for all my games (it's part of the base classes)

Best way to pause is simply to alt-tab away from the application, then mouse click resumes. P was a safety catch sort of pause.

9. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

LOL can't be arsed then more like? :)

Thing is you slave over a game for months and months, test it, beta it, test it some more, publish it here and there and make some sales then some bugger always comes along later and says yeah but you could add this that and the other then I might buy it or you would sell even more mate.

Save it all for you next game is a good idea else you'd never get anything out the door if you listen to what 'everybody' wants in this world.

I've done that for 20years and I'm still here so there is only so much listening you can do to please the wants of others in this short life LOL :)

10. princec

Indie Author

Yeah, made that mistake with Alien Flux and Super Dudester, ruined 'em both.

I'm off to write an actual casual game now, w00t!

11. dma

dma New Member

I think $9.95 could eventually become a pretty common price point for casual games, and I think Cas is wise in choosing it. There are just too many games on the market, and more are coming every day. Going to Amazon, I can pick from a great number of multi-million-dollar-budget PS2, PC, Xbox, etc, games for $19.99 or much less. Even the complete boxed set of Sam & Max is only $17.99 right now. Should a basic match-3 or other casual type downloadable sell for more? I think, unless the production values are out of this world, that those days are passing fairly quickly.

So, it's kind of obvious why sales of pretty much all games (except the new mega-blockbusters) are falling right now. There's just too many entertainment choices out there, (iTunes will be distributing movies soon on their theatrical release dates), and not enough time or money to buy them all. But when prices fall to $9.95 or less, it's much easier to get the credit card out. Of course, the game still has to be great. But with all the entertainment choices people have today, not to mention all the free stuff one can play on the Internet, it's getting harder and harder to justify the higher $19.95 "standard." And I think potential customers, if they haven't already realized that, are going to start doing so fairly soon.

12. princec

Indie Author

The only problem with it all is... that $9.95 is such a pathetically small amount of money to share out between BMTMicro, me, and Chaz, and any affiliate. We have to make 30 sales a day just to reach minimum wage income in the UK. Needless to say we make about 3, nor 30.

13. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Well as I said I'm down at US$7.95 but at least my online partner pays out at 75/25 split in the developers favour on PC so I still make UK£2.99'ish per copy which is a lot more than you make on PC budget retail - given UK£2.99 is budget RRP pretty much anyway.

I was amazed at how much game you can get on XBox/PS3 Store online for next to nothing these days not to mention AAA titles for next to sod all on Amazon etc. now.

The market is not shifting moreover it has shifted!, hence why ad-wrap has also become an newer option alongside the paid downloads for me.

Getting harder by the year that's for sure now everything is digital 'want/have it now' pretty much.

#33 Adrian Cummings, May 6, 2008
    Last edited: May 6, 2008
  14. dma

dma New Member

So basically if you just get 10x more traffic to your site, you can get those 30 sales! ;)

But yeah, I know what you mean. It's just that there's too many entertainment choices out there. It would be nice if the standard casual game price could be $49.99. But successfully selling a typical casual game at that price is about as likely as everyone being civil and polite in threads on religion. (Or politics, or on whether badminton is more fun than croquet.....)

So as I alluded to above, it all comes down to how many people you can get to download your game. Get 1 download a day and you might get 1 sale every 3 months. But get 5,000 downloads a day, and you could potentially get those 30 (or more) sales. See how easy it is to make minimum wage? ;)

15. princec

Indie Author

Even with a brand new release of something that looks visibly original, with forum spamming, a press release through gameproducer.net, and blitzing every download site in PromoSoft, we've barely had a blip of traffic. What's up with that? 5,000 downloads a day is simply unachievable from where we're standing.

16. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

That is kind of what ad-wrap offers - massive draw in of players hopefully increasing paid sales into the bargain - but if you are on mostfun.com you might see it's not quite working like it should as compared to other formats :p

There is no quick fix answer that is the answer - I've tried them all now and all you have is 'hope' really, hopefully a decent enough game, some good distribution and a bit of luck of course like the rest of us.

My content as a total is getting around 40,000 downloads a month but that is 'adwrapped' across the board and if I had a $ for each download I would'nt be posting on here would I, instead that equates to approx 'not a lot!' in adwrap revenue monthly as a total which is better than a few paid sales here and there alone which I also get now and then from those 40K downloads. That is at least superb distribution on par with some of the big titles even if I don't turnover the profit they do.

Ad-Wrap is not the answer no, but it is a supplemental income stream alongside everything else that pays - I for one am pleased to have it but perhaps some of it could be better that's all.

Not an easy life this.

#36 Adrian Cummings, May 6, 2008
    Last edited: May 7, 2008
  17. Grey Alien

Indie Author

re: improvements. Glad about 1 thanks. 8 and 9 should be p*ss easy to do and would benefit future games. Of course save all the other stuff for Droid Assault 2! :) (possibly except for no.2 which would be nice in this game). Naturally I realised that you'd never put all this stuff in this game which is "done" but I can't resist offering new ideas for possible improvements. No doubt you had a massive list anyway but just had to get it out the door. We've all been there!

18. Jack Norton

Indie Author

OT, but since some of you spoke about that... I don't think $9.95 will become common price, expecially with the crap usd value right now.

There is lot of choices on the market, and that's true, but from my point of view the hardest thing is to get A SALE. Then for the user paying $10 or $20 doesn't matter much as long as he wants the game.

If you think about it yourself, how many movie/cd/games you bought because "well was cheap" even if you actually didn't like it so much? What I mean here is that the really hard thing is to convince the person to go through the payment process, not to spend 5-10$ less...

Low price can be good to increase the user base. In my experience lowering prices never lead to more sales though, instead increasing game value worked extremely well. I don't make casual game but I think this could apply to casual games too.

19. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Still OT, yeah that is definitely a factor. When a thing reaches a certain low price I simply don't care because the time consuming thing is buying it and entering my credit card details then registering the game properly (AND adding it to my company accounts as "research"). So it's definitely worth making sure that people will buy the game because the product is simply worth the extra money.

However, there's a whole load of evidence to show increased sales at a lower price too as some people in just this thread have attested too (and as the entire BFG Game Club seems to prove). The question is are the sales over double when you half the price? Otherwise it's clearly not worth it.

My own experience with Droid Assault was that I played the demo twice (or maybe it was three times) and it timed out in the boss fight and I wanted to see more and at $9.95 I thought "why not?" because it was good fun. However, if it was $19.95 I may not have done it. BUT if the demo went beyond the first boss and timed out around level 15, I almost certainly would have paid $19.95 because I'd have seen more of the higher up droids and weapons and become more addicted (Basically I changed my opinion of the game as a quick little blast to a well balanced thoughtful game with lots of hidden depth/tactics).

So I'm saying that personally I think the demo ends too soon. I appreciate it's a tricky thing to work out as currently it's at 1/5th of the way into the game (in terms of levels) but actually the later levels contain lots more playability (and replayability) in terms of time plus more depth which is basically worth more money to me. That's my $0.02 anyway.

20. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Quote: Jack Nortons last post:

Well that pricing argument is as old as the game industry itself and just isn't true anymore from my angle anyway when applied to all types and grades of games.

A good new title might be worth say $19.95 for a few months maybe longer, but over time the software's value will decrease like everything else as better products replace it (and piracy).

We have a credit crunch here in the UK at the moment and most savvy people are not going to pay $19.95 for an indie game anyway - hey they may not even spend $9.95 but there is more chance they 'possibly' will perhaps now.

Then there is mostfun.com (you can get alot of games on there for nothing!) you can't really top that sorry - ok it needs to take off a bit more I agree but you can't top $0 for a product - some of them are/were previous big sellers also.

Sorry but I just don't share the $19.95/99 everything mentality anymore - it's dead or dying unless you are a big portal perhaps and not just selling direct to the consumer.

None of what I've said above applies to affiliation of big portal products, rather just selling your own content direct and yes I know there are few on here that do make larger revenue at the higher price end but seriously doubt they are the 'majority' amongst us.

#40 Adrian Cummings, May 6, 2008
    Last edited: May 6, 2008