DROID ASSAULT alpha

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by princec, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Sammgus

Sammgus New Member

Nice work - did remind me of paradroid initially, but it's quickly apparent that the gameplay is significantly different. Good fun, although I couldn't really keep track of my army very well.

Ran very smoothly on my laptop (you do great UIs):
    Radeon Mobility 9000 (a horrible graphics card)
    Pentium M 1600 , 512M RAM

2. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

It won't run for me on my Linux computer (Kubuntu 7.04). Trying to open it with Firefox, I keep getting prompts as to whether I want to open it or save it to disk.

When I saved to disk and try to open the file with Konqueror, I get this:

Code:
    Puppy Games  Destroy or take over malfunctioning battle droids in the factory/description> Destroy or take over malfunctioning battle droids    
    /resources.dat

3. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

Really fun, even as an alpha. Can't wait to see the finished game. My main comment is that you should mention in the in-game help that space bar also transfers... the reason being that some people, like me, have single-button mice, and holding down control while clicking an enemy AND controlling our current droid with the arrow keys is too much to do at once. Fortunately, I experimented and discovered that the space bar works, but some people might not think to try it.

4. Nikster

Original Member

Won't run on my bog standard defacto eee pc setup (4g version).

An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Title: Droid Assault
    Vendor: Puppy Games
    Category: Unexpected Error

Unexpected exception: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

5. mot

mot
    Indie Author

Looks cool, works fine on my PC, the transfer is a great idea; reminded me of Messiah. First few levels without a lost life though is a bit too easy I think. Any gates, teleports or puzzles in the later levels? You know, you'd have to transfer to a bot that's behind a force field, push button, get back, etc. Right now the transfers just don't seem to be an essential part of the game.

6. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Stylish as always. With lots of $20 per song services kicking around I wouldn't "borrow" somebody elses tune no matter how appropriate. Didn't read the manual or anything other than to figure out how to grab a bot. What I was supposed to do wasn't clear from running around with my bot - was hoping to just start doing some run and gun with a bit of strategy added on but that doesn't seem to be what the game is about. Might read the write up later but I'm lazy (as are most gamers) and my attention span may be grabbed up by Conquest or poker by then.

7. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Reading the writeup... maybe I found a bug. I'm controlling a bot but left mouse button doesn't shoot when I click - I do see the aiming thing working though, just no missile.

Also, I know why you grab the mouse focus but it bothered me that I couldn't go to my desktop and run around with the mouse - zero issue if played full screen - in the past I've solved the issue by pausing the game when it's played in a window and they leave the game area. Neither solution is perfect.

8. karolos

Original Member

Hi,

The game didn't run. it first downloaded all the datas, the application started to launch (the icon) and stopped. I suppose it need Java 1.5 ?

iMac g4 1Ghz 64mb video card
    JAVA 1.4.2
    Mac Os x 10.3.9

9. princec

Indie Author

Hm no it should have run OK... I don't suppose you could have a look in the Console and see what it output?

Cas :)

10. Grey Alien

Indie Author

OK finally found it and downloaded since you told me about it at the meetup. Now hurry up with that retro dungeon crawler ;-)

11. oldschool

Original Member

Fantastic!

and the music was great too.

played until the boss and died:D

12. teoma

teoma New Member

I loved it, can't wait to buy the full version when it's done.

2 things:

1) It seemed like you couldn't 'possess' every droid. I noticed some of the 'bad' droids had numbers over their heads and some you had to scan multiple times. I couldn't quite figure out how that system worked.

2) Multiplayer. This has 'LAN party' written all over it. Ten players, each with their own droid army, would be really cool.

I'm sure this will help solve your 'all your money running out' problem.

13. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Fantastic game Cas, well done! I haven't read the other comments here, but maybe consider the following:

1. Some kind of dampening / gravity on the mouse target aiming thing, that scrolls the screen around. It goes way to fast for me (getting old?), so maybe if you kinda work out where it the screen should be, and slowly track to that location (maybe speed of tracking dependent on distance from where screen x,y is and where it should be).

2. Blowing up the explosive containers could damage near-by droids? (maybe it does already).

3. Clicking on the 'continue' between levels was a bit of a drag. For me, I prefer just click anywhere, and get the screen out of the way ASAP, so I can get to the good stuff (the game).

4. Would be really cool to have some kind of map terminal; where you can see where you are on and also able to go up and down levels, kind more like paradroid c64 style.

I like how the scrolling was VERY smooth (on my machine). I may need to investigate Java!

Best of luck with it Cas.

Jamie. :)

14. kaolin

kaolin New Member

Ditto--very fun game. :) I'd probably still be playing it if I didn't need to be trying to work instead.

15. princec

Indie Author

Will add mouse sensititivy thing soon. It's actually just geared to your Windows mouse movement but because Windows scales mouse movement based on screen resolution in fullscreen mode (doh) it gets bloody fast!

Only some containers damage nearby droids - ones with skulls on.

You can select which droid to start the level with on the intermediate screen so I thought an explicit continue button was required there.

Decided against original Paradroid idea of maps and lifts on the grounds that it wouldn't fit in with this game. We did actually try a level map out at one stage but it just all felt contrived.

Nearly done now... just another 2 weeks I think.

16. Nikster

Original Member

are you going to try get it working for eeepc's as well damnit ? :)

17. princec

Indie Author

If I can figure out what's wrong with it :/ I've had reports that my other games are working fine on EEE...

18. Nikster

Original Member

ok, well if you need a gimp for testing let me know.

19. princec

Indie Author

What's it do at the moment when you try it? (It'll write a bunch of stuff to the Webstart logs but I don't know where they are under Linux)

20. Nikster

Original Member

same as post #24 on this thread: In a message box, I assume this is some generic exception throw ?

An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Title: Droid Assault
    Vendor: Puppy Games
    Category: Unexpected Error

Unexpected exception: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

: I'll try searching for the logs, you know what they're named so I can easily search for them ?