Download.com or Press Releases?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Davaris, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Davaris

Original Member

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what the game makers think I should do next?

At this time I am considering one of two options: puting my game on
    Download.com or sending out press releases.

I've heard that Download.com doesn't deliver much in the way of sales for
    games, so I was thinking of spending the money on press releases. Has anyone had experience with both? If so what do you think I should do?

2. joe

joe
    Original Member

I have listed my audio software "Replay" on download.com and I must say it wasn't worth the money.

Don't know how download.com works for games, but at this time i had decided not to list my new game Psychoballs on download.com.

3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I was against download.com submission too.
    Until yesterday when they put UBM in frontpage of games section! :D
    Was really worth it, but of couse you have no guarantee that it will be picked to appear in frontpage.
    Their new submission policy, $79 per year but unlimited updates sounds better to me after all: it means that poor-selling titles won't be able to resubmit so it will be less crowded (unless they want to lose money and they resubmit again!).
    PR are very good in my experience: however I am making niche games, not casual puzzle/arcade ones. I suspect that with such games PR woudln't work so good IMHO.

Well up to you... it's all a matter of luck and how good is your games :cool:

4. Andy

Original Member

Just short note - the answer from upload.com support:
    "The details for annual Basic Listings are being ironed out right now. At this time, we don't have the answer to that question, however we will annouce it via Upload.com as soon as we do."

The question was how/when are they going to charge for that annual period.

:D

5. fusionlab

Original Member

Do both! Sending out press releases by email is free, and once you've built up a decent contact list by examining relevant magazines and web sites it hardly takes any time at all.

#5 fusionlab, Sep 29, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  6. Davaris

Original Member

One thing I didn't like the look of was the section where I would list my game.

http://www.download.com/Role-Playing-PC-style-RPG/3150-7543_4-0.html?tag=dir

There is page after page of Neverwinter Nights and The Elder Scrolls III addons and mods and they seem to be designed to block out the competition.

I asked one of the people from Download.com about it today (I am still waiting for a reply). I don't see why I would want to spend $79 for a listing if no one can find it.

7. Davaris

Original Member

Oops! I just found the links that let you filter the file types displayed. They really need to make them larger so the average user will see them.