download.com button program

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by george, Apr 27, 2005.

1. george

Original Member

what are your experiences? looks like it can do well, but is it worth it? it can be hassle linking to an external site (download.com) for your downloads because it may confuse the user, it may give your site an unprofessional look, etc. etc.
    ________
    Sunset Boulevard Residence Pattaya
    ________
    Live sex webshows

#1 george, Apr 27, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  2. JiriNovotny

Original Member

To be honest, I don't see reason to do so.

Imho user wants to click on Download button and get instant download, not another big site loading.

3. george

Original Member

#3 george, Apr 27, 2005
  4. Nexic

Indie Author

Unless you have a site with lots of traffic it isn't going to give you a significant boost on download.com. What it will do is annoy your users, making each site visitor less likely to end up buying.

5. george

Original Member

true, it can annoy users... but if you do it like the way winzip.com does, letting the user choose the location he wants to download from (download.com or winzip.com), it could work out well, plus it may add professionalism...

the reason i am asking is because i just can't help but notice how many successful authors (such as winzip) do this. i see it as part of a marketing plan, not just a download link.

i was just wondering if it benefitted any of you indies, but i guess it hasn't!
    ________
    Playboysquirt Live
    ________
    tsCumsAlotxxx cam

#5 george, Apr 30, 2005
  6. JPGinLA

JPGinLA New Member

George,

You are correct!

Please visit some of what you think are the successful sites and see how they do it. Nothing wrong with imitaion of what you consider the successful models!

We are very pleased with the way download.com complements our promotional efforts and it is very important to me to keep high (top 5) rankings for PC and Mac on download.com's game page.

-JPG