DOOM III Released

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Nick Bischoff, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Nick Bischoff

Indie Author

Doom 3 is now out. I cant seem to find a demo anywhere, so Im assuming that there won't be one.

Has anybody played it yet?

2. dreeze

Original Member

The demo will be out some time after the retail release.

3. Screwball

Original Member

Bought it. Playing it.

Some things I have noticed:

* Interface is very slick, you use a "PDA" to keep track of mission objectives as well as addding to the story via recorded voice logs and e-mails you find on others PDA's. There are also a number of UAC "marketing" style video's that remind me a lot of Starship Troopers.

* The initial part of the game was walking into the new, slick base. You see loads of different security measures and bits and pieces. It has a lot of the original Doom 1 / 2 techno base feel to it.

* This game is creepy. And dark. After the provibial hits the fan you will find yourself walking through a lot of dark area's. The flashlight gets used a lot, which btw looks great, but as you cannot use any weapons while you have the flash light out it can make some fights rather annoying.

* The sound MAKES this game. A lot of the time there is very little sound, until you get close to a monster, then you'll hear the moaning of the zombies or grunts from the imps. They have also put a fair few triggers in for things like pipes bursting as you walk past, grates falling off etc that still scares the bejesus out of me. Also, when stuff first starts going wrong you end up walking back, in the dark, with very few monsters listening to the screams and panic of other marines over the radio, very creepy. Also, you sometimes hear a deep, creepy devil style laugh and the lights will go off or other freaky stuff happens.

* Visually the game is great, although it does get a little dark in a lot of places, but the flashlight can help you out there. The monsters and the other characters within the game look great.

Summing Up:

Pros:

* Visually Stunning
    * Excellent Interface
    * Sound Recordings and E-Mails add to the storyline
    * Extermely Creepy
    * Sounds are excellent and add to the atmosphere

Cons:

* A little too dark in many places, making it hard to fight monsters
    * Not being able to use your weapons while holding a flashlight, while semi-realistic, sucks.
    * The shotgun doesn't sound and feel like the shotgun from Doom 1/2
    * Only four players in multiplayer and No co-op play !!

My Game Screenshots

4. BrainBlock

Indie Author

Bathroom - I found a toilet in the initial base that contains feces.

I need to buy a whole new system to enjoy the game though. I bet it will take about 1k for me to do it justice! Just for D3!

5. Bluecat

Original Member

My copy should be arriving on Friday.

I was doing a little surfing tonight, and someone has already come up with a mod that attaches a flashlight to the pistol. It won't be long before there's a flashlight for every gun.

6. disaffected

Original Member

got it last night and after playing with it for a few hours yesterday and today I found the game a little weak in the gameplay department.
    the game's basically a one note performance: walk, hear noise, see monster, hide, kill monster repeat. :cool:

The sound is basically hit and miss, some sounds are great, but others, especially some of the gun sounds, sounds muffled.

not saying the game sucks, but I'll probably never play it again once I beat it.

7. EpicBoy

Original Member

Does it come with a level editor of any kind? I'd like to try making levels for it...

8. dreeze

Original Member

The editor is built into the engine (same .exe)

9. Cogin

Original Member

Btw. PK4 files are in fact zip files, you can see lots of things there. For example they use Ogg for sound effects.

10. grimreaper

Original Member

Got it two days ago.

Very, very slick graphics + interface.

id's CEO (I forgot the name) had posted somewhere not to expect gameplay. Doom3 was simply designed to scare the sh!t out of you. I can confirm it does :D

I wouldnt worry about the multiplayer bits though - just give it a couple of weeks and there will be mods out. I've heard that the 4-player limit has already been removed.

Verdict: Doom3 is an excellent tech demo. I prefer MaxPayne2. Wonder what HL2 will be like...

Anyway, I gotta go. Got a world to save :)

grimreaper

11. Yuriy O

Original Member

Played yesterday. Damn. I got FX 5600 with 256Mb on P4 3G with 800 FSB and 512MB memory on 400Mhz. When I put the game into 1280x1024 it was SLOW. I had graphics quality High but not the top high. I switched into 800x600 and tuned on Vsync. It was running better, but anyway in some spots, especially with shadows it was lagging.

Whenever those monsters that through a fireball get in your way games lags and it's very hard to escape a fireball hit.

Game is too damn dark. Too damn dark. As was said above the flash light does not really come handy when you have to switch to weapon all the time.

So, tell me guys. Is that something wrong with my system or the game is just so pumped up with visuals that my machine wont pull well?

12. EpicBoy

Original Member

13. Yuriy O

Original Member

14. Bluecat

Original Member

I've got a 2.8GHz machine with a Nvidia FX 5200 (I think, it's been a while since I checked) and 512MB RAM. I ran Doom 3 initially with medium settings (800x600) and I found the same as you, slow response time. Couldn't dodge or shoot the imps effectively.

I changed the settings to 640x480 and the game ran much much better. Still a little bit of lag at times, but nothing to worry about.

The thing that impressed me though, was how good the game looked at 640x480. It was still gorgeous, better than anything I've seen to date at that rez. It almost makes me want to get a better PC to see it at its best!

As for the flashlight/dark issues. I'm torn on this one. D3, for all it's beauty, is an ordinary shooter. What makes it a good game, is the sense of suspense and fear that they instill, and the darkness is a big part of that. There was one moment that gave me a big enough shock that I had to go to the loo shortly afterwards. Having said that, I think reducing the darkness, or adding a ducted flashlight will reduce the tension. With that D3 becomes a little ordinary.

15. Cartman

Indie Author

16. dreeze

Original Member

Along the same line, Masters of Doom is quite a good read.

17. Yuriy O

Original Member

I dont seem to get it to work. I copied file and run doom3. Flashlight is still separate. I started a new game and it doesnt duck tape. Or does it only work with a :machinegun:? which I dont seem to have

#17 Yuriy O, Aug 7, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2004
  18. Phil Newton

Original Member

Only works with machine gun and shotgun, according to the site.

Haven't got a PC that could even try to run Doom 3 (it can't run Quake), so I'll have to wait a little while to play it.

19. Sunshine

Original Member

:mad: I am totally jelous of any of you that can run D3 :mad:

I added it up that I need at least 500$ MINIMUM to play this
    Plus 50$ for the game!!

Oh well, Maybe next year :)

20. Nick Bischoff

Indie Author

This game is really unbelievable. Ive been playing for 2 days now. It looks fantastic, runs like a dream. If you want to get it to run nicely, check out the planetdoom forums for optimisation tips. There are a few simple ones that will speed it up 30%+.

I have to disagree about the flash light, i think it adds to the game. Ive been scared half to death a few times while in some dark areas.

Assign your flash light to your right mouse button, click once for flash, click again to get back to your previous weapon.