Domain Registration and Hosting

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Richard Nunes, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Richard Nunes

Richard Nunes New Member

I have been looking for a solid company to register my domain and host an upcoming project site.

LiquidWeb looks great.

I'm really aiming at $5/month hosting and cheap domain registration. This is a very small project, I expect very light traffic and it will only be online for a year or so. I need to keep the costs below what a parent would find in their kids' piggybank.

I have been warned off Go Daddy but I'm willing to give them a try if anyone has great reviews.

I have heard very good comments from Host Gator ($15 domain registration, $7/month hosting) in previous forum posts. I've also been recommended Dotster ($14 domain registration, $6/month hosting) and Doteasy ($25 domain registration, free monthly hosting).

Thanks.

2. HDSanctum

HDSanctum New Member

3. Pallav Nawani

Indie Author

Try Dynadot for domains and westhost for hosting.

4. Richard Nunes

Richard Nunes New Member

HDSanctum, Pallav, do you use these services?

Namecheap and Dynadot both make money from squatting and auctioning off domain names. There is no way in hell I am going to sign up with a company like that.

I really like what I've read about nearlyfreespeech. From their FAQ, they really know what they're talking about.

5. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I recommend Hostgator. But the $7 a month you mentioned is only an intro offer for the first month - its $8.95 after that. Still worth it, though.

6. Gary Preston

Original Member

I'd recommend registering your domains with a company that specifically deals with domains rather than doing both domain and hosting with the same place. That way should you have a need to move your web hosting in the future, you can do so with a quick change to the DNS record rather than having to transfer your domain to a new host.

I've used domainmonster.com and 1and1.co.uk in the past for domains (domainmonster is my current choice).

Hosting wise, I've used dreamhost in the past, but I wouldn't really recommend them for anything business related, there was the odd downtime and due to the shared hosting also plenty of times when the site was slower than is really acceptable for a business site. That said, depending on your project, the odd downtime may be a fair tradeoff for the cost savings.

Another option to explore is hosting with google app engine. It's free up to a certain quota. Depending on what your project is and its cpu/bandwidth demands, you may be fine with the free quota. Downside is it's not standard web hosting.

7. HDSanctum

HDSanctum New Member

I use NFS on my low traffic site and recently bought another domain on namecheap. I intend to use buyvm with that namecheap domain, once I get closer to my games completion.

NFS is pretty good, although I would imagine it to be pretty expensive if you wish to store large files.
    edit:
    To expand on my thoughts on NFS, if you use them to host your domain, you do get a good price on it, however it comes at the cost of not being able to set some of the domain records you may want to set. Transferring your domain away from them also seems like a bit of a hassle. I agree with the suggestion of keeping host and domain separate.

#7 HDSanctum, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  8. mooflu

mooflu New Member

What Gary said...

My domain is currently registered via Go Daddy with mail and website hosted on Google/Google Apps Engine.
    You don't mention what you need to host. If you need specific forum software, php, etc. then GAE isn't a good choice.

9. Pallav Nawani

Indie Author

Yes, I do actually. Recently switched to liquidweb for hosting.
    I use Dynadot because I had heard good things about them from web forums. Maybe that has changed. I don't use them for critical domains though. On the other hand, if you are looking for low prices, others aren't going to be much better anyway. You get what you pay for.

10. DoubleJump

DoubleJump New Member

I have a few domains registered with GoDaddy have nothing but kind words about them. They offer a wide range of services and customization options and provide great knowledge tools if you are new to the whole domain thing. Also, their customer service is top notch. When I registered my first domain they called me on my cellphone to welcome me and to know if had questions.

That being said, the experience with bigger companies is usually very uneven and will vary greatly from customer to customer. Please note that I only use GoDaddy to register my domains, my website is hosted with Squarespace.

Hope this helps!

11. Richard Nunes

Richard Nunes New Member

Keeping the domain and hosting separate is an excellent idea Gary.

DoubleJump, you've alleviated the concerns I had about GoDaddy. The most vocal complaints circulate on the web, like the site NoDaddy.com a few years back that was just a complaints aggregator.

You've all given me some excellent suggestions.

12. InfiniteStateMachine

Site5 is one of the best companies I've dealt with period. I like them enough that I've begun registering my domains through them.

On the other end of the spectrum is 1and1. Terrible to deal with. Their customer support was brutal among other things.

13. lTyl

lTyl New Member

I am using NameCheap (http://www.namecheap.com) for domain registrations after switching over from using eNom (http://www.enom.com) for many years. For hosting, I am using Reliablesite (http://www.reliablesite.net/v4/), since they have some of the better deals for Windows server 2008 dedicated servers, which is a must for me at the moment, since that is all my MMOBG SDK will run on at the moment :V. Finally, for DNS Management, I use DNS Made Easy. (http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/)

DNS Made Easy ensures no DNS servers are down, and RSNET is pretty stable with little downtime, so it works for me ^^

14. LiquidShock

LiquidShock New Member

No recommendation as far as company wise but when registering a domain make sure what ever company you use you get:

your own domain control panel (type varies from company to company) but it allows you to update your contact information and nameservers
    ensure they put you as the registered owner, technical contact and billing contact - some companies like to keep their name on it on at least 1 of those so they can still have a little control over it
    do not pay over 10/year for a .com/.net/.org - they are still making at least 3/year for it at that price - other extensions may be a little higher
    make sure you keep your contact info up to date because ICANN will check and can take it back from you if they feel you are squatting on it or it has copyright infringement

hosting varies there are a lot of good budget hosts out there but just check on their bandwidth and space overselling

lastly find a control panel that you like (Cpanel, Plesk, HShpere, etc) and stick with it. it will make transferring your site easier when you find you dont like your current host and keep an up to date copy of your site in a back up in case the host suspends you or they have some other problems.

15. ManuelMarino

Original Member

I use Namecheap for both domains and hosting and I've always been impressed by their customer service. In any day, at any hour, a skilled technician replies in chat and help you solve the problem. I can say they are very skilled.

After all these years, you can't convince me of a better company, I love them.

16. Digital Entanglement

I use Sharkspace currently and haven't had much of a problem with them. The problems I did run into were domain purchases which didn't go through since apparently they do them manually. Other than that, everything is awesome.

17. ragortue

ragortue New Member

I like either GoDaddy and Dreamhost so far. But I'm still reviewing the details to see which one will work for me though. [​IMG]

18. uriweru

uriweru New Member

I've used GoDaddy and HostGator.

19. Codex_Steven

Codex_Steven New Member

Honestly, everyone hates on GoDaddy.

I have a GoDaddy Pro Developer account that manages 4 separate websites on a Linux cPanel. From customer service, to uptime, to features and customization; I would give them an A+ across the board.

I don't even call in if I need anything anymore. The last customer service representative who helped me gave me her email, and now she is my direct point of contact for anything I need during the week. The level of service she provides is fantastic, and she knows her stuff. I will concur, that not everyone will receive this level of service. Of course, it's a massive company. I think they have taken the bad reputation they most likely rightly earned, and spent a lot of time, money, and effort into making it the way it is now.

20. uriweru

uriweru New Member

I personally love GoDaddy and have never had a problem with them. If something came up and I needed help they would always help me right a way. You can't beat 24/7 customer service and live chat.