Does anyone use FGL?

Discussion in 'Development & Distribution' started by Sue, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Sue

Sue New Member

Can someone shed some light on Flash Game License for me? If you make an agreement with a sponsor, do they exclusively host your game, or can you sell to multiple sponsors and/or use other forms of monetisation like Mochi ads at the same time? (I don't mean Mochi ads in the sponsor's copy - but on other sites).

2. andrew

andrew New Member

Generally, sponsors want their logo in your game, and some clickable links to their portal site. They will often want the game to be exclusive to their site for some period of time, although after that many will actually want the game to spread around the internet for purposes of getting traffic back to their portal.

You can sometimes re-sell site-locked versions to other sites after a sponsorship, though typically for a much lower price. (If your main sponsor lets you do that, then FGL terms that a "primary sponsorship" as opposed to an "exclusive" one)

Whatever you do, make sure that your game has never been publicly available on the internet before looking for a sponsor!

- andrew

3. Sue

Sue New Member

Thanks for the helpful info - especially grateful you warned me about this.

If a sponsor wants a game to be exclusive on their site for a period of time, do you know what sort of period could be considered typical, or reasonable?

4. andrew

andrew New Member

Usually a week or two. Most of these sites will front-page sponsored games, and that usually corresponds to the period of time that they'll keep it front-paged.

- andrew

5. Sue

Sue New Member

That sounds like quite a good deal then if you are only exclusive to them for a couple of weeks and you get promotion on the front page. Presumably I could have a link somewhere on the game to my site, so it would be good for traffic as well as revenue.

Thanks for your help.

6. andrew

andrew New Member

Well, the mid-size portals are usually fine with letting you have links. The big boys (Addicting Games, Spil, etc) often will insist on any external links removed, though you can sometimes just put them in anyhow and they won't notice. Some of these portals can get your game 200K+ plays per day, so it's highly recommended to try to leverage some sort of linkback...

- andrew