Do you wish you were an Artist instead?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by indiemaker, Dec 17, 2006.

1. indiemaker

Original Member

While I love programming, I realize that I also enjoy creating Art. Both are forms of creating, but Artwork is more enjoyable and creative. Unfortunately, I am not good at drawing so I have to stick with programming.

Damn, I wish I had some Art talent. :)

2. oldschool

Original Member

I didn't have any art talent till I took an art class in middle school, but I did know how to program in GWbasic:rolleyes: . Here is a link to a a similar topic http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=9123
    it has a lot of drawing resources. Practice is very important, tools not so much.

PS. I learned by the "Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain" method by Betty Edwards from the book of the same name. It took some time but I was really good till my dad made me stop drawing.

PSS. I wish I could make music.

3. Uhfgood

Original Member

Your dad made you stop? BTW I had the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and lost it (the second edition). And I got the portfolio with video to go through. Only problem is haven't gotten a chance to really use it.

Draw right is really pretty good though, and i'd like to complete the course.

4. Christian

Original Member

You just need to put the effort my friend, you wouldnt imagine how much i improved in the course of this year and all because i have put the effort on learning, you can get good but only if you put effort. You just need to study books, practice from life, practice from your mind, study how to see things, how things look, study other peoples work, and have patience, enjoy the process, otherwise frustration will make things worse.

Dont put excuses, if you wish, you can.

5. esrix

Original Member

I definitely agree with Christian. I am an artist and I have to put up with a lot of people who say "I wish I could draw" all the time. Now, I'm not trying to belittle you or anything, but the majority of the time, those very people do not take the time to pick up a pencil and a sketch pad and draw draw draw! You don't get anywhere by wish, you get there by practicing. The same is applied to programming--you've got to get your hands dirty before you can get good at it. I didn't wake up one day and just know how to draw... I had to practice for 14 years to get where I am today, and there's still--and always will be--room for improvement ;)

6. indiemaker

Original Member

yeah, you're 100% right. :)

7. Lerc

Indie Author

For ages I wished I had some art talent.

Turns out I do. What I'm working on now is art skill.

The fact of life is though that unless you do the skill part during your formative years the learning process will be slow. A teenage brain takes things in (hard to believe isn't it) much better than an adult brain.

A similar situation happened with me and basketball. I was the nerdy no-sport kid at school. Hated being forced to play sports. When I was 20 I played my first basketball game where I was amongst friends and gave it full effort and actually enjoyed it. So fifteen years later I still play on a weekly basis, but there's no way I'm ever going to be as skilled as a lot of the 18 year-olds that come though the league. My brain missed the easy learning window. I still enjoy myself though. I also have the cynical satisfaction of knowing that a lot of those 18 year olds will be fat and lazy at 35, whereas I'm still playing :)

What's the point of that ramble? Well it's possible to do something and find it rewarding without being world class. You may have missed the boat to become the bes, but you can still work and find a satisfying result.

in the #ludumdare Channel we occasionally have 30 min drawing competitions just to practice with. I did this for one.
    [​IMG]

as you can see, Not a world class drawing, but good enough to make me realise that I was better then I was a bit before that. And that's really all it takes to make you happy.

8. indiemaker

Original Member

I agree that any skill can be developed to reach one's potential. I guess I was trying to say, I wish my art skills were already highly developed so I can make games without relying on an outside artist. It'd take at least a year I think to improve my skills further.

I spent several years learning 3D Studio Max, paintshop pro, and I can make OK art. I can model something good enough that I can put it into a game. But let's face it, art is really important, maybe more important than anything else. The difference between a very good programmer art and a true professional art is like night and day. To reach that level of art mastery requires something more than mere desire or motivation. It requires true talent. Or extremely hard work. Years and years.

When it is all said and done, I think an accomplished artist who has true training, and refined skill, can learn computer programming much more quickly than a computer programmer who is just learning art. And I think that was the main point I was trying to make. I wish I had that advantage.

9. JoshuaSmyth

Original Member

I don't wish that I was an artist instead. I would however like to improve my art skills. I'm sure that its avalible to anyone who wants it, its just a matter of how much time and energy that you want to devote to developing your artistic side.

10. illume

Original Member

I can recommend the right side of the brain book. It has helped me look at things. Given me skills so that I can look more closely at things.

Drawing really is the base of art. It allows you to try out placing forms on paper. From that you can quite easily colour stuff in a paint program, and come up with ok artwork for a game.

Art classes are great too! You get to meet up with a whole different group of people. Plus you get to ask questions of artists, and get tips. It's really relaxing too.

The 30 minute drawing comps are fun too. It gives you a reason to practice, and your skills increase.

11. MrQ

MrQ New Member

Yes! Oh wait, I am..
    I have been doing game art for about 7+ years now. I don't have a traditional background in drawing, and I don't draw or concept. I stick mainly to 3d packages and photoshop/custom tools. I do alot of design work these days that leans into the art and technical side of game dev.
    I think some people miss the days of programmer art http://members.gamedev.net/stompy/Stompy_screenshot18.PNG

#11 MrQ, Dec 18, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  12. RedKnight

Original Member

I used to draw alot at school or when I've alot of freetime, if possible I draw at every where possible. :D

but I also see "art" as a setback, since I can't help meself to "Finish" some of my projects.

13. Pluvious

Original Member

I remember when I was a kid I used to like to draw a little...basketball stuff and airplanes. I wasn't any good and I never really really drew anything again. I never really thought I was the "creative" sort.

But now that I've started doing other creative things successfully (writing, game design) and I've seen the tools available for working with digital art and I don't see why I couldn't become an artist. And I've decided recently that's its something I would like to begin studying. And its exciting...the idea of creating pictures to match my ideas! :)

14. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Heh, this morning I thought about this, and idea of making comics... but with so little time, one cannot do everything :)

15. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

No f'ing way. Maybe I wish I was also an artist, but not instead, never ever.
    Brilliant :)

16. Nexic

Indie Author

I like doing the odd piece of art, I don't think I'm totally bad at it. However doing artwork for a serious length of time actaully bores me far more than programming does. I guess art doesn't come naturally to me, so feels more like hard work.

17. C.S.Brewer

Original Member

heeeeey I've been thinking the same thing lately.

I've loved programming for so long, and I still do...but I can't help but get frustrated some days and think my god I could just be doing some art instead of debugging multithreaded crap and finding out why the ai doesn't work whenever you play a certain wav file, and how to make the game run x frames faster on z card from the 90s...or why is every character rendering with rgb 0,0,0 all of a sudden?!

I want to paint a happy tree :D

18. Rainer Deyke

Indie Author

The reason I'm not an artist in the first place is that I ultimately enjoy programming more, so I spent my time programming instead of doing artwork until I got good at programming and not at artwork.

19. TMAN

Original Member

yes, yes. Oh god, yes. This is exactly why I've tried to dedicate a serious half an hour a day to improving my penciling.

20. Luis

Original Member

Coding is a form of art...

I'm studying graphical design. You can easily see that today's graphical styles/trends don't rely on the special "drawing style" of the creator, they rely much more on the functions of the programs they have been created in.
    So who has more influence on modern graphical Style/Trend -The artist or the coder?
    In fact it's the coder.
    One Word: DEMOSCENE (if you don't know, please google)
    These guys are the artists of tomorrow. In past centuries, art was always on top of the technical doable. So, if you really want to do art, which shows us something new - code it.

sorry for being off-topic :)

Luis