Do you like your job?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Leper, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Leper

Original Member

I work in an office all day. But when my paperwork and development projects are complete, I'm allowed to play video games and of course I'm on salary so it's just simply amazing. I must say that I love my job!!! All this time I was making my tasks go by slow because I didnt want to run out of things to do during the day, but ever since I set up for maximum productivity I have been finding my job much more beneficial!

2. electronicStar

Original Member

I'm doing shift work.
    Depending on the situation I have between 3 and 5 free days after each cycle (after 3 full days or night of work). The pay is very good.
    I love my job.

3. KNau

Original Member

I got into Flash development for a non-profit organization and I love my job more than any other I've had so far. It has all the benefits of being in game development minus the tribe of social misfits you usually encounter in a dev environment.

After being indie I never thought I could go back to a day job but I really, really lucked out. Plus I have lots of free time to work on my own stuff, so it's also like having all the benefits of being and independent developer minus the agonizing uncertainty of when the royalty payments will finally show up.

4. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Ive been workin for myself a long time now. I honestly can't imagine even having a regular job where I had to abide by set hours, and set places etc... Id find that very confining.

5. Dan MacDonald

Hating your job is possibly one of the most motivating influences in working on games in your own time. If you like your job (especially if it's a demanding one) you will have a hard time changing gears to working on your own stuff when you get home.

6. Fost

Indie Author

I would rather be bankrupt, homeless, lying in the street in my own urine and vomit than work for someone else again...

...which is a good motivator.

7. Dan MacDonald

Yes, once you've gotten to point where you can sustain youself (even meagerly) the game changes. The desire to work to achieve that state can often be motivated by a crappy job :)

8. ggambett

Even though I'm both the Director and the guy who prepares the coffee (and CTO, project manager, designer, business developer, and tech support), I love my job. Every day is an adventure - you never know what crazy idea or business proposal you'll get in your inbox with your morning coffee. I left my "day job" on december 31st, 2004 and I haven't regretted my decision, not a single day.

9. Genimo

Indie Author

I left my previous job December of last year and even though I was pretty happy with it now that I know what it is like to be making games and running your own studio I can not imagine myself working on anything else or as an employee again!

Only thing left is to figure out how to reverse my monthly burn rate into some income :)

10. impossible

Original Member

While I don't actually hate what I do my current job is a dead-end. I don't have much hope of surviving as a fulltime indie unfortuantately, but I'm thinking about quitting very soon even without a new job lined up.

11. Escapee

Original Member

I didnt really like my previous job because it's like working under tremendous pressure in a cage supervised by nagging prison guard. I had this feeling of crashing my car into someone else everyday when i drove to work . I also had cold once every week due to sleep deprivation and stress ( I was a QA cum IT cum customer service engineer ( MR YES/hai ) and used to support demanding customers like Sony and other Japanese customers ). I left my job just two weeks ago despite many offers intended to keep me staying in the firm and i think i will do just fine as long as the exchange rate continues to stay the same.

It's very rare that a person would find his/her job still fun & stimulating after working for like 3 -4 years . The ony reason these people continue to work is that they already have commitment and are tied up to house loan and wife/children expenses. I have seen enough weary eyes in my previous firm, and how much they wish they could just strike it rich with million dollar lottery and escape the corporate position to start their own dream .

12. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

My job (high school art/music/tech teacher) is challenging and rewarding. it can be a drain on me sometimes, but the pay is very good (private school) and I get a lot out of it.

I love my job, but I would burn out if I kept it up for too long. It helps to know that I won't be doing it for that much longer.

13. Escapee

Original Member

Apparently, my previous job has turned me into somekind of amateur life philosopher as evident with my signature below :p

14. mot

mot
    Indie Author

I quit my web development job about six months ago, finished some contracting work for the company I left and now I'm working on my first game full time. If I ever had to find another job, I would definitely not go back to programming. Doing it on my own, I love it, but as an employee? No thanks, no more excursions into the Dilbert universe.

15. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

My boss is a big jerk that makes me work all the time, biggest slave driver I've ever worked for :D

Can't imagine working for someone else or working in an office ever again. Sometimes I envy people with normal jobs that just punch the clock with little stress and work in office where can mingle with co-workers.

16. lennard

yep

I ran my own very small dev. studio for 6 years (late 80's, early 90's) so I knew what the lifestyle would be like when I got back into it. We have made great life changes to make this a sustainable thing and I don't regret it for a minute. My wife is over in her corner of the office right now and I'm in mine, the kids are in bed and we are doing the things that we want to with our life/time on this planet. I don't plan to ever go back.

17. cybermonk

Original Member

I have officially quit my job today! :)
    I have to stay here until 6th of october, after which I will start my life as a full time indie.
    Fortunately, I have enough savings to survive for at least a year, even if I don't make a cent. But it is my hope that after this year, I will have some games that earn me enough to keep doing this.
    Exciting times! :)

18. Stefan Maton

Original Member

Well... I have quit my day job to create my own little company and become a contract developer. This enables me to select the projects I want to work on and to have enough time to realise my "research" projects.

Although I've enough money to live without any contract or income for about 3 years, my wife stressed me to accept a mid term development contract... so actually, I'm working on Sacred 2 during the day and on my own projects in the evening.

I'm quite happy with this although every now and then some new ideas pop up and I start lacking time to realise them...

Stefan

19. Nexic

Indie Author

The job I quit to become an indie was working at a box factory for roughly $7 an hour (doesn't go anywhere in UK). I remember being there, my back killing me for having been standing for about 5 hours solid, hands sore from touching all that cardboard, and thinking man wouldn't it be great to be self employed'. Well, it is great to be self employed, even if you aren't exactly rich yet :)

20. Hidden Sanctum

Original Member

Same here as many others - I quit my programming job of 10 years in November of 2005.

While I loved my job, I began to feel held down as I grew. Having to deal with an increased project load wasn't bad, but that also meant more meetings with people who 'had to be involved' yet did nothing but talk and drag things out to justify their own existance.

This led to exceedingly long hours and working from home on weekends with very little to show for it. I literally began to feel like a zombie going through the motions of life.

So here I am free as a bird and no one to rely on (or blame) other than myself. It's been quite a learning experience. Self-motivation and focus is a hard thing to do, especially when you start off with a nice chunk of money in the bank to live off of. You keep telling yourself, "I have plenty of time." and spend time doing research, learning software (Photoshop tutorials, 3d Studio, etc.), and generally watching the time slip by. Money is a big motivator. Now that it has nearly been depleted, that self-motivating and focusing thing becomes much less difficult. :rolleyes: