Do not install games from sunnygames...

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Dan MacDonald, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I agree with Andy, 86 this thread.

2. Cartman

Indie Author

I was just thinking the same thing. It's the same as saying, "We do not sell your email addresses." Some people may appreciate you putting that in big bold letters on the front of your web page.

3. anothersomething

Original Member

No one here apparently has any experience with adware, yet they all say it is bad. I would think successful indies should be a bit more open minded. Someone download one of the games from www.free-windows-games.com. (I don't run it.) Check out the installer: A full page is dedicated to the fact that it comes with WhenU. And look at the quality of some of the games on that site. Ore No Ryomi 2 is extremely addicting, so is Jumper. Squarez is a very nice and challenging puzzle game.

Are you telling me that this is scummy and evil? And that he is sneaking it onto your PC? And it is bad? I think you guys just want something for nothing, which isn't exactly fair.

4. anothersomething

Original Member

Yes, and it happens a lot. There are SOME assholes who have ruined it for everyone. There are many honest unscummy people who bundle adware with their games and are completely honest about it.

edit: Regarding the search engine spam, yes that is a bit scummy. But look at some of these overly optimized indie sites. I believe Retro64 gives free-games-net.com free hosting in exchange for the featured games on that site. What is with the text "from the <a ...>computer games</a> at retro64"? Shouldn't it be "from the the computer games at <a ...>retro64</a>"? Nothing wrong with SEO in my opinion, but just pointing it out. Also, the title of retro64 is "Free Computer Game Downloads". It doesn't even include the name of the site in the title. Still, I think it's great that retro64 has a top 10 ranking for popular keywords like "computer games".

#44 anothersomething, Sep 21, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  5. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

No. The thing is we ALL have experience with Adware and none of use like it.

those games might be really good but that has nothing to do with it containing adware.

Customers don't like it. End Of.

6. anothersomething

Original Member

Customers don't like paying for games either.

7. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I think everyone's had a chance to state their positions. I'm convinced part of the reason these forums are successful is because we dont have Adds all over the place. Sure Retro64 and Twilight Games have their links in the footer of the page (I be 90% of you haven't even noticed), but other then that the setup, matinence, bandwidth and other overhead of these forums is all absorbed by the Admins of this forum. According to anothersomething we have everyright to put up adds and make some money from our efforts.

I personally think putting adds on this forum would be wrong and ruin it. I feel exactly the same way about any game that installs addware on my machine regardless of if they inform me about it or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.