Do not install games from sunnygames...

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Dan MacDonald, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

http://www.sunnygames.com/skyfire.html

I tried their latest games skyfire because the screenshots looked decent. When i played it I was apalled at the game design, it was horried. The controls would only respond to one arrow key at a time.

I didn't get it until a couple hours later spyware and searchbars started poping up all over the place. Not cool.

2. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

Wow really?

Doesn't one of the developers post here? He posted his Bugix beta for feedback a few months back.

I wonder what made them turn to Spyware all of a sudden...

3. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

Can anyone confirm this? It would be really surprising... Looks like he has several new games out...

4. Dan MacDonald

I double checked, both times i got something called "Favoriteman" and another called "NetPal" .

5. anothersomething

Original Member

Sunny Games is apparently trying to make a little money with adware. NetPal isn't that bad from what I have seen. Check out http://www.justfreegames.com/

They seem to be doing well with google ads (their alexa rank has sky-rocketed)

Also, spyware != adware

edit: I don't know what favoriteman is, but NetPal is developed by http://www.addictivetechnologies.com.

#5 anothersomething, Sep 21, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  6. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Dan, could it be a hacked version of the game you downloaded? or do you think it was integrated by design? He posts here pretty often I think, I'd like to hear what he has to say before I condemn him, but I hate to think that a good 'ol indie would purposely do this... :confused:

7. anothersomething

Original Member

WHAT HAS HE DONE? You guys act like adware is a bad thing. It isn't if he tells you in the license agreement. If he sneaks it on to your PC, then i'd be happy to call him an evil moron who deserves to rot in hell. If he doesn't, he's a perfectly honest person trying to make a living. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ADWARE. THERE IS ONLY SOMETHING WRONG WITH PEOPLE WHO SNEAK IT ON TO YOUR PC.

8. FlySim

Indie Author

Who reads all of the license agreement?
    If they put it in plain sight near the download link, then fine.
    Otherwise, I feel its sneaky and I would never download or buy
    a game from that site. I also think adware/spyware will hurt all
    of us - makes people hesitant to download and try games.

-J.R.

9. anothersomething

Original Member

How will adware and spyware hurt all of us? It sure hasn't hurt me... I have WhenU's adware installed, it's one of the most useful apps ever. (Whenever you search or buy something online it shows you competing products. If they are a better deal, you can buy them. )

SOME adware is bad. But not all.

Also, you should read the TOS. If you don't you are agreeing to whatever it says anyway. I don't believe in software pirating (I used to have tons of illegal stuff on my PC, but soon I figured out programmers had to eat, so I either bought it, or removed it) or breaking license agreements on programs.

I think that if someone gives you a 10 page license agreement though, that's sort of nasty. I think it should be kepy under 1 page.

10. Andy

Original Member

@Another

I suppose ALL adware has terrible influence on whole our business. Amount of peoples don't trust anymore to any developers - don't download and don't buy anything.

You were stating in the previous thread about your plans (I hope I'm wrong) to flood your upcoming versions with amount of direct spyware. So, looks like this is not any problem for your mentality. But believe me - Spyware and Adware are exactly the way how the shareware business will die.

11. anothersomething

Original Member

lol, are you talking about the post Dan MacDonald locked? I'm not a shareware game developer, I just figured it might be a good idea to stop piracy. (great way to pay back those evil thiefs anyway)

Also, If shareware were to be killed by adware, who cares? Instead of selling your games, you'd bundle them with eZula or WhenU, and give them away for free. You'd make more than you ever would with shareware, and people would get top-quality games for free. All the evil adware companies would go out of business because no one would use them, and people would learn to start reading license agreements.

And people don't trust developers anymore? Almost everything on download.com that isn't for sale is bundled with adware, yet download.com is still one of the most popular sites on the net (And people there seem to HATE shareware. They had an old poll asking how long trial limitations should be, and most said "More than 60 days.")

I usually don't keep any software on my PC for longer than 60 days. (Other than game dev tools and firefox)

12. oNyx

Original Member

>THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ADWARE.

That's must be the ulitmate truth, because it's written with the subtle power of CAPSLOCK.

Spyware/Adware is ok if it's clearly written next to the download link like they did with the adware sponsered divx pro version (the other options were free and full version for somewhat like $20).

Well, the thing is - if it's bundled with spy/adware it's NOT free, but hey... it's just lying - no problem for you, right? ;)

13. anothersomething

Original Member

I actually used the shift key there.

Free of what? It's free of charge. But not free of advertisements. Besides, look at the shareware game market. "Free Game Downloads - Dexterity Software", "Free Computer Game Downloads" (from retro64), etc...

If that isn't lying, then I don't know what the definition of "lying" is.

I guess it would be a good idea putting something like "Downloads on this site are sponsored by company1.com, company2.com, and company3.com" in the footer of your page, or next to the download link.

14. Dan MacDonald

All I know as a user is that after installing the game I started getting popups that appeared to be helpful messages "your computer is trying to send your personal information over the internet, click yes to allow blahblah to protect your machine" but for all I know if I click anything on the dialog its going to run some trojan or worse on my machine...

I checked the EULA and the Privacy agreement on sunnygames, no mention was made of installing or right to install anything but the game. Not only that they were popping up faster then I could close them. Regardless of if the programs are "good" or "bad" addware/spyware I don't think game developers have any right to install them on my machine. If they need to make money make better games or get out of the business, last I checked there was still some value to ethics.

http://draginol.joeuser.com/index.asp?AID=7583

I downloaded the game directly from the site so I don't think there's any chance I got a corrupted/compromised build.

AnotherSomething: What exactly do you think you are playing when you download a game demo from one of the sites you listed, and how much do you pay?

#14 Dan MacDonald, Sep 21, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  15. anothersomething

Original Member

Dan, I'm playing a demo version of the game. A game that you have to pay for isn't free. I am not playing the full version of the game. I have to pay for that.

If there was nothing in the EULA/TOS/Privacy Policy, and there was adware in the game, then yes, they are filthy pieces of trash.

Also, there are numerous honest and unscummy game developers who'll bundle adware with their games. Why should you get to play someones games that they put a lot of time and effort into for free? You only should if they are compensated fairly, and in the opinions of some, adware IS fair compensation. I downloaded j-ball from justfreegames.com, it was quite good. Not good enough to sell, but it is worth the adware that I got from it. However, since they didn't tell me about the adware in the first place, they are scum.

16. Holmqvist

Original Member

Well I tell u this much I don't think anyone from this forum (unless there was some other explanation) will be going to sunnygames to download games in a hurry. Adware has just efficiently scared us away, and I doubt that everyone else are OK with adware..

If a customer has a bad experience with one small software company, they might not trust another one the next time.

Most people here (I hope) don't use adware for the same reason they don't spam, they would get bad reputation, bother people and maybe violate their ethics.

/ Jacob
    PS. I hate adware.. oh, and spam. DS.

17. Jack Norton

Indie Author

The day I'll put adware in my games it will mean that I'll want to definitely close my indie business... hope that day is still far :D

18. SyneRyder

Original Member

Always helps to check Google before posting: Pest Patrol entry for FavoriteMan

Highlights include:
    • FavoriteMan seems to try to find your e-mail address on installation to send to its controlling servers.
    • Adds advertisers' web sites to the Favorites menu.
    • The software executes any arbitrary code which the controlling servers points it to.

The Pest Patrol entry for NetPal is also concerning:
    • Sometimes tampers with the security settings for the Internet Zone
    • Opens large pop-up advertisements when directed to do so by its controlling servers.
    • Sends URLs visited and terms entered into forms to its controlling servers.
    • If e-mail addresses are configured in Outlook or Outlook Express it will send them to be sold for junk e-mail.

That's just plain nasty.

19. oNyx

Original Member

>I'm playing a demo version of the game. A game that you have to pay for isn't free.

If you play the demo you don't have to pay for it. Demo versions are still playable games, which are free. Duh. Oh and most demos offer way more than those freeware games.

>I am not playing the full version of the game. I have to pay for that.

And your point is? It's try before you buy. You get 1h to several days of fun for free and if you want more you can buy the full version.

>Why should you get to play someones games that they put a lot of time and
    >effort into for free?

Bla bla... it's a fair deal. You (the developer) get a nice possibility for promoting the fullversion whereas the user get some entertainment in return. That's the whole idea. Fair n square. Never heared of it huh?

20. ragtag

Original Member

To quote Monty Python... :)

H: We use only the finest, juicy chunks of fresh Cornish ram's bladder, emptied, steamed, flavored with sesame seeds, whipped into a fondue, and garnished with lark's vomit.

I: Lark's vomit?!

H: Correct.

I: It doesn't say anything here about lark's vomit!!

H: Ah, it does, at the bottom of the label, after monosodium glutamate!

I: I hardly think that's good enough! I think it would be more appropriate if the box bore a big red label, "WARNING: LARK'S VOMIT!"

H: Our sales would plummit!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.